Gladys Berejiklian in trouble?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
for the sydney peeps, a question on the call for the adf

whats the driver?

i thought traffic was already down to levels below the melbourne lockdown, so what are they for?

(not being a smart arse, im assuming something is happening up there thats not obvious to those of us relying on media reports. down here it was people breaking curfew to meet up in parks, bike tracks, footy clubs, etc)
For show IMO.
I’m not SW or W (I’m inner burbs) so cant comment on what going on there.
But perhaps trying to break up the behaviour patterns of people who think it’s ok to just cruise around wherever.

Parks have been taken over by personal trainers.
Park benches with tape and/or signage to signify non-usage are mobbed.
Kids playgrounds are mobbed.
Outdoor gyms are mobbed.
Centennial Park in general is ******* mobbed.
Families fishing together.
Families playing golf together.
The population is pretty much doing as they please
No one checking QR code’s are being used
No one is supermarkets wiping things down like Vic last year
I’m yet to see any employee anywhere cleaning anything.

This is coming from someone who was in the Melbourne lockdown last year.

I can't speak for the hotspot LGAs but in my LGA in the inner west you could sometimes hardly tell we're in a lockdown.

I know someone who lives in the Cantebury Bankstown LGA (one of the major hotspots) who thought it was okay to wander over and visit their cousin and her kids because it was only "just a few streets away". I wouldn't be surprised if that sort of household to household movement between relatives and friends is rather common within the Bankstown and Fairfield LGA.

I think a large part of it is people no longer knowing the rules because it's changing every 2 days.

Anecdotally I’ve noticed the exact same sort of behaviour. A couple of days ago my work took me to the inner west and there were people in parks having picnic lunches, people sitting on benches chatting and enjoying the sunshine. Now ok, there’s very little risk of transmission outdoors yada yada yada, but it still speaks to the mindset of a lot of people up here that feel they’re “allowed” to break certain rules so long as they mostly follow others

I’m assuming the ADF will be brought in 99% as window dressing as some last ditched attempt to get people like this to realise that sh*t’s actually serious

Nah Gladys needs to cop this one, what she said was easily proven as false. Lying and underreporting the situation at this time does NSW no favours in getting out of this at best and at worst will make it take longer.

As much as we like to joke we want to see NSW out of this as quickly as possible.
I’d also argue it’s counterproductive for Gladys to keep saying this right now. If the anecdotes of people not taking this seriously enough are true then they need to have the idea that this lockdown could get much tougher hanging over them, which I know sounds brutal but the situation right now in Sydney is critical.

They should not, by contrast, be fed the idea that they’re already doing it as tough as it can be. That just breeds complacency when the lived reality doesn’t match the rhetoric.

Last edited:
For show IMO.
I’m not SW or W (I’m inner burbs) so cant comment on what going on there.
But perhaps trying to break up the behaviour patterns of people who think it’s ok to just cruise around wherever.

Parks have been taken over by personal trainers.
Park benches with tape and/or signage to signify non-usage are mobbed.
Kids playgrounds are mobbed.
Outdoor gyms are mobbed.
Centennial Park in general is ******* mobbed.
Families fishing together.
Families playing golf together.
The population is pretty much doing as they please
No one checking QR code’s are being used
No one is supermarkets wiping things down like Vic last year
I’m yet to see any employee anywhere cleaning anything.

This is coming from someone who was in the Melbourne lockdown last year.

as someone who was in the melbourne lockdown, not loving that

i thought the mobility data being so low was a sign people were staying home

People just moving around their neighbourhoods I think.

Mandating the wearing of masks outdoors would go a fair way to keep people staying home.
But NSW has the harshest restrictions..

I just don't think they've had the deaths to scare people. Victoria lost a lot in a hurry which got everyone's attention.

Approx 15,000 people have died in Australia since NSW went into lockdown. Maybe 10 from Covid? Reporting the death of 80 and 90 year olds won't shock anyone. The average age of death is 85! Nor will a few young people in ICU.

Mind you approx 250,000 have died since Covid started. Only perhaps 1,000 odd from Covid so far which isn't "shocking". I reckon in the new normal perhaps 3,000 will die each year of Covid and we'd all live with that as a percentage of 160,000 that die annually.

Dan did things in that second Vic lockdown he wouldn't do and hasn't done again. Shutting kids playgrounds was one of them by the way. That was disgusting. NSW should have learnt far more from the Vic lockdown but they seem determine to make their own mistakes.

Forgot to say that local skate parks are ******* mobbed.
Kids aren’t going to school and parents are obviously working from home and just telling the kids to fu** off and go hang out with your mates.

How dare kids see their mates at the park?! Where else do you think they go when you shut their school and they need exercise. Victoria shut playgrounds and skate parks and kids met up at parks and built their own. There were kids with shovels everywhere. It was one of the nicer things that happened in lockdown and I'm tipping basically no one transferred covid or got sick from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anecdotally I’ve noticed the exact same sort of behaviour. A couple of days ago my work took me to the inner west and there were people in parks having picnic lunches, people sitting on benches chatting and enjoying the sunshine. Now ok, there’s very little risk of transmission outdoors yada yada yada, but it still speaks to the mindset of a lot of people up here that feel they’re “allowed” to break certain rules so long as they mostly follow others

I’m assuming the ADF will be brought in 99% as window dressing as some last ditched attempt to get people like this to realise that sh*t’s actually serious
Do my major shop Saturday. Haven't noticed a difference in parking spots, looks as busy as always (shopping complex with all 3 supermarkets, but they're fairly split and each have there own access). Did see people leaving the shopping centre with <5 items or going to the food court for lunch.

I just don't think they've had the deaths to scare people. Victoria lost a lot in a hurry which got everyone's attention.

Approx 15,000 people have died in Australia since NSW went into lockdown. Maybe 10 from Covid? Reporting the death of 80 and 90 year olds won't shock anyone. The average age of death is 85! Nor will a few young people in ICU.

Mind you approx 250,000 have died since Covid started. Only perhaps 1,000 odd from Covid so far which isn't "shocking". I reckon in the new normal perhaps 3,000 will die each year of Covid and we'd all live with that as a percentage of 160,000 that die annually.

Dan did things in that second Vic lockdown he wouldn't do and hasn't done again. Shutting kids playgrounds was one of them by the way. That was disgusting. NSW should have learnt far more from the Vic lockdown but they seem determine to make their own mistakes.
At the time the playgrounds were shut in Melbourne my little one was 13 months old, so we were affected. I hated it, of course.

But I think at the time the thought process was a) closing them will lessen the chance people congregate (which if the anecdotes are correct, is still happening way too much in Sydney) and b) there was still much more fear a year ago that transmission by surfaces was a major factor in Covid spread. We know now that’s not really a major factor.

How dare kids see their mates at the park?! Where else do you think they go when you shut their school and they need exercise. Victoria shut playgrounds and skate parks and kids met up at parks and built their own. There were kids with shovels everywhere. It was one of the nicer things that happened in lockdown and I'm tipping basically no one transferred covid or got sick from it.
The Delta variant has seen a high number of children getting Covid and passing it on to each other.
So to go past a playground/skatepark with perhaps 100-150 kids in it doesn’t really sit right does it?

on the deaths causing people to take s**t more seriously, good point.

on the playgrounds, I walk a 10km round loop with about 7 playgrounds on it. some of them i'd agree could be open without issue. some are the new style mega playgrounds, with bbq's and communal eating areas and the like. those do need to be shutdown when s**t is getting ugly, because you end up having big numbers of people around them very quickly.

The Delta variant has seen a high number of children getting Covid and passing it on to each other.
So to go past a playground/skatepark with perhaps 100-150 kids in it doesn’t really sit right does it?

Its outdoors and it should be local (if you have a 5km rule). This lockdown is going on for months and you need to be realistic what you're asking of kids from 8 to 15 to not do for an extended period.

They shut the skate park near us and the kids built ramps and tracks all over the park themselves. You simply can't expect a 13 or 14 year old kid to sit in the house all day every day for weeks on end. If they go to their local park, they see their mates.

The parents can't and won't stop that. What they can't have is the groups of kids coming into the home and hanging out. That's a problem.

Its outdoors and it should be local (if you have a 5km rule). This lockdown is going on for months and you need to be realistic what you're asking of kids from 8 to 15 to not do for an extended period.

They shut the skate park near us and the kids built ramps and tracks all over the park themselves. You simply can't expect a 13 or 14 year old kid to sit in the house all day every day for weeks on end. If they go to their local park, they see their mates.

The parents can't and won't stop that. What they can't have is the groups of kids coming into the home and hanging out. That's a problem.
No argument there, if we’re being honest there’s no perfect solution here, it’s a s**t sandwich either way.

on the deaths causing people to take sh*t more seriously, good point.

on the playgrounds, I walk a 10km round loop with about 7 playgrounds on it. some of them i'd agree could be open without issue. some are the new style mega playgrounds, with bbq's and communal eating areas and the like. those do need to be shutdown when sh*t is getting ugly, because you end up having big numbers of people around them very quickly.

You can shut the playground but people will just meet up locally at the park anyway and the kids run around with mates. That's just going to happen. Shutting bbqs is fair enough. Otherwise if it's local and outdoors, you just have to let it through. Have the outdoors limit at 2 hours to be realistic and push for people to follow that.

As someone with young kids and having been through 5 lockdowns, my view is that's where Victorians and the state government settled and the most recent restrictions reflect that. Meeting with a couple of people at the park is inevitable but having visitors to your house is when you're taking the piss.

You can shut the playground but people will just meet up locally at the park anyway and the kids run around with mates. That's just going to happen. Shutting bbqs is fair enough. Otherwise if it's local and outdoors, you just have to let it through. Have the outdoors limit at 2 hours to be realistic and push for people to follow that.

As someone with young kids and having been through 5 lockdowns, my view is that's where Victorians and the state government settled and the most recent restrictions reflect that. Meeting with a couple of people at the park is inevitable but having visitors to your house is when you're taking the piss.

again, i walk an area with seven playgrounds on two major walking tracks (10km in distance, passing approx 9 sporting ovals)

during the harsh stage 4, the playgrounds were deserted. most activity moved to the ovals and the public golf course, with people socially distancing (this was when you were only allowed to walk with two adults plus kids). people did gather illegally, but it tended to be out of site at the back of ovals (away from road access) and on the bike tracks (again, away from road access)

Thousands of dead gamma variant kids in brasil this year….

Do my major shop Saturday. Haven't noticed a difference in parking spots, looks as busy as always (shopping complex with all 3 supermarkets, but they're fairly split and each have there own access). Did see people leaving the shopping centre with <5 items or going to the food court for lunch.
Food courts are open?????????????

* me dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back