Glaring mistakes your team makes that coaches have never corrected/capitalised on

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick a spot about 10/15m out of goal.
Send 1 or 2 big men up. Leave all your smalls goal side.

All our defenders will go up. When the ball spills - kick a goal.
You can do this up to 8 times a quarter.
You just summed up allan Richardsons game plan! Only when the saints try that the tall defenders clear the ball effortlessly

Geelong forward 50 entries can be best described this way “player x gathers ball, closes eyes and kicks it as high as he can without worrying about where the kick will land”

Absolutely. And combines poorly with our “zone defence at all costs” strategy when the inevitable rebound comes back...

When another team get a run of goals say maybe 3 in a row... instead of slowing it down and controlling the ball and making sure we get the next one.... we just bomb it long and hope which leads to turnovers and more goals in succession for the Opposition.

Sam Jacobs in a ruck duel against someone like Shaun Grigg or some other midget because the #1 ruckman wasn't on the ground/vicinity of ball up

Instead of thumping the ball 15 metres away to a player set up for such a play, he'll still palm it down to his feet so our player can get tackled immediately or even worse straight to an opposition midfielder

Sam Jacobs in a ruck duel against someone like Shaun Grigg or some other midget because the #1 ruckman wasn't on the ground/vicinity of ball up

Instead of thumping the ball 15 metres away to a player set up for such a play, he'll still palm it down to his feet so our player can get tackled immediately or even worse straight to an opposition midfielder

It's because he's not actually very good or smart at the actual ruckwork side of being a ruckman.

I wonder why this is. Is it because your forwards work harder than other teams so are more fatigued when kicking? Are you creating your opportunities from harder places? Do you practice it less? Combination? It's strange that you struggle in this area when dead eye Dickson's been a regular.
Probably a few reasons.
- We tend to place higher value on character and less value on kicking when drafting compared to other clubs
- We have a lot more makeshift forwards who train with the midfield group
- We don't play permanent forwards. Even Dickson has to run up the ground and play high forward (which is a pseudo mid position) at times
- Not enough practice. Modern footballers tend to do very little goal-kicking practice as their training loads are micromanaged. Your average grade footballer probably does more. Dickson left the VFL to play for Noble Park pre-draft which is why he's probably done more practice at the sticks than most footballers.

Lastly, we don't have dominant tall forwards who are more likely to have grown up as the focal point in front of goal. Our closest equivalents are Redpath in those rare moments he's on the paddock, Tom Boyd who was a ruckman until age 15, Roughy who is possibly the worst kick for goal I have ever seen in Bulldog colours and Shache who is fringe in our side at best.

Oh dear.
Look at football today and football 10 years ago and tell me it isnt a complex sport.

I think the media sell it to the public that it is a very complex sport, the amount of absolutely useless stats and so called game plans make it sound like you need y be a rocket scientist to play the game.
There is no doubt the clubs leave no stone unturned in preparation for the modern game but to say it is a complex game is a bit far fetched. It’s a pretty simple game that requires extreme fitness and the ability to follow a plan.

I think the media sell it to the public that it is a very complex sport, the amount of absolutely useless stats and so called game plans make it sound like you need y be a rocket scientist to play the game.
There is no doubt the clubs leave no stone unturned in preparation for the modern game but to say it is a complex game is a bit far fetched. It’s a pretty simple game that requires extreme fitness and the ability to follow a plan.

Its far more complex than almost any other sport.
The range of skills and tactics involved is quite high.

Compare it to say soccer or rugby league and they are very limited by positions and rules. Theres a lot less they can do tactically and skill wise.

Hasnt changed since the famous mantra ' football at its basic is when we have the ball , when the opposition have it and when nobody does ' its what happens next that determines the game

Probably a few reasons.
- We tend to place higher value on character and less value on kicking when drafting compared to other clubs
- We have a lot more makeshift forwards who train with the midfield group
- We don't play permanent forwards. Even Dickson has to run up the ground and play high forward (which is a pseudo mid position) at times
- Not enough practice. Modern footballers tend to do very little goal-kicking practice as their training loads are micromanaged. Your average grade footballer probably does more. Dickson left the VFL to play for Noble Park pre-draft which is why he's probably done more practice at the sticks than most footballers.

Lastly, we don't have dominant tall forwards who are more likely to have grown up as the focal point in front of goal. Our closest equivalents are Redpath in those rare moments he's on the paddock, Tom Boyd who was a ruckman until age 15, Roughy who is possibly the worst kick for goal I have ever seen in Bulldog colours and Shache who is fringe in our side at best.
Bloody informative thanks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hasnt changed since the famous mantra ' football at its basic is when we have the ball , when the opposition have it and when nobody does ' its what happens next that determines the game

I think footy has become a very complex tactical game, but i like this quote:

Footballers are like sausages, you can fry them, grill them, bake them, they’re still footballers.”
Allan Jeans

Outside mids with suspect disposal/decision making played at half back. Means they're up the ground and basically handing the ball back half the time in midfield/on the wing.

Dunno bout mistake, but key forwards always going for the same contest. I get that at times it works as a shield, but often you're forcing the man in front to take a pack mark by attracting opposition defenders to a contest, instead of playing in front to a one on one.

Small/mid forwards being primary targets of inside 50 kick and hopes. Either the ball is intercepted by a taller defender or when the contest hits the deck, there's no one with speed or agility to crumb or lock it in.

Can criticise inside midfield issues all I want, but fact is we've lacked elite personnel in this department for a long, long time.

Noticed that a bit in the grand final, Grigg is probably our smartest player along with jack so to have him in their as an extra mid works to our advantage.

Ports complete inability to hit a tall forward target when moving the ball inside 50. Instead every time they go wide to gray x 2 or Wingard who have to usually beat of 2-3 defenders and have a shot from the boundary. The third tall has killed port constantly for years after kicking it down their throat.

Hopefully this year with a few more targets up forward it will straighten up their ball movement to the goals.

We almost never kick short to our forward 50. Whenever he have the ball from about the centre square forward we will always kick high and long looking for the marking option. Outside Reid we don't have many players capable of taking a contested mark, but since Horse has been in charge he's never corrected this aspect of our plan.

Mitchell was especially bad at this when he was at the Swans, blindly kicking from the centre without even looking where he was kicking to!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back