Glass Half Full at Arden St - Feb 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I think we are in for a hell of a season, but you wouldn't think that after hearing some of the nonsense being broadcast at Arden St:

Jack Z states there was "plenty to like" about Saturdays 10 goal loss.
Brad Scott states "we achieved all of our objectives" in Saturdays 10 goal loss.
Brad Scott tells the football world that at 35 years of age, "Jarryd Waite's best football is ahead of him."
Ben Buckley banging on about our "war chest"

I could go on.

I get it. The club needs to sell hope & be optimistic, but I tell you what, I've just about had enough of all the positive talking, praise & hype at Arden St with absolutely nothing to show for it.

I feel as though the club's hierarchy has become so worried about it's profile & position in the AFL, that it has forgotten the one fundamental thing that takes care of EVERYTHING - WINNING GAMES OF FOOTBALL!!!

Another couple of seasons of putrid on-field performances & no amount of media spin is going to save us.

Think you've overstated it a bit and the objectives were outlined as per some above posts.

But get your point. Over a long period hearing positive talk after what appear to often be questionable results (Buckley's "fantastic season" comes to mind) starts wearing thin.

There's no point railing at this stage.. we'll have to see how 2018 tracks to make judgement. As frustrating as it is.

watched the full game from Saturday, we have plenty to worry about, basic skill errors, cant hit targets, our skills looked light years behind the godees....

yes it was a practice game, no I am not throwing the baby out with the bath water...

we looked slow, not really sure what our game plan is, their midfield looked like they were going at half pace while our guys were always a step behind, and I thought Goldstein played well in the first half!!!!!!
Daw is not a footballers ahole.....we've tried and it has'nt worked....thanks mate see ya....

all in all a tough few years coming up......

then again North have a way of over overachieving consistantly...2007 anyone?

Normally I get frustrated when we lose. But now I get sad. Sad because we are so crap. Sad because youngsters like clarke, evw hibberd look very average. Durdin in last years JLT vs Sydney, was very impressive. This year he looked average. I am sad when i think about how many years is it going to take to get us out of this position.
I am sad because i think of all the sh1t decisions that got us here.
And sad because the idiots that got us to this level of sh1tness , are still in charge.

Normally I get frustrated when we lose. But now I get sad. Sad because we are so crap. Sad because youngsters like clarke, evw hibberd look very average. Durdin in last years JLT vs Sydney, was very impressive. This year he looked average. I am sad when i think about how many years is it going to take to get us out of this position.
And sad because the idiots that got us to this level of sh1tness , are still in charge.

Yeah but apart from that, things are looking good.

Personally, I think we are in for a hell of a season, but you wouldn't think that after hearing some of the nonsense being broadcast at Arden St:

Jack Z states there was "plenty to like" about Saturdays 10 goal loss.
Brad Scott states "we achieved all of our objectives" in Saturdays 10 goal loss.
Brad Scott tells the football world that at 35 years of age, "Jarryd Waite's best football is ahead of him."
Ben Buckley banging on about our "war chest"

I could go on.

I get it. The club needs to sell hope & be optimistic, but I tell you what, I've just about had enough of all the positive talking, praise & hype at Arden St with absolutely nothing to show for it.

I feel as though the club's hierarchy has become so worried about it's profile & position in the AFL, that it has forgotten the one fundamental thing that takes care of EVERYTHING - WINNING GAMES OF FOOTBALL!!!

Another couple of seasons of putrid on-field performances & no amount of media spin is going to save us.

tumblr_ozna6tmuPq1vg1enro1_500.gif

Well I've already said I believe that Waite's best football is very well ahead of him and that what Brad said is not really that unrealistic. I can understand people saying its ridiculous but I don't see it that way as long as he stays on the park.

I find it amusing that people bang on about Hibberd being average. He's faced a lot of interruptions, hasn't played many AFL game time at all and hasn't been able to get into the groove due to the inerruptions. I haven't disliked anything he has done (or liked), has physical attributes that is good for the modern game and I'd like to see how he develops. I can't call him average as it would be unfair due to the above mentioned.

And people are quick to bang on about Clarke.....he averaged like 25+ in the last 5 games last year and looked good....was pretty much robbed of a rising star award for one of those. I'd rather judge him at round 10 if he has moved forward. And sometimes not everyone does. I mean it takes a while. I thought nothing of Dusty a few years ago.

And Ed looks pretty handy in the limited games he has played.

I think there's becoming a unrealistic expectation from people (not necessarily saying you) that players are expected to step right in and look the absolute goods, or that they have to move forward every year. Sometimes that does not happen. Some develop faster than others, some move back to move forward.

I dont think Luke Parker was that great last year in terms of his previous. No doubt he will be better this year than last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really? Posts on this board have led me to believe that his only role at Hawthorn was to pick up the cones at the end of training....for the VFL side.

He got dropped after the 2015 preliminary final. He was only young but its still an "interesting" thing to have in your resume.

Interesting that Lurkers emphasised his first half being good.

Well I've already said I believe that Waite's best football is very well ahead of him and that what Brad said is not really that unrealistic. I can understand people saying its ridiculous but I don't see it that way as long as he stays on the park.

And peeps reckon we can't develop players, poppycock.

I think a side any side that is looking at a bottom four finish should be excited by the prospect of their 35 year old fwd having a break out season.

My only concern is we might lose Waite.......

What is Masters Football? – Vic Metro
https://www.aflvm.com.au/about-us/what-is-masters-football/
AFL Masters is football that allows mature players (over 35) the opportunity to participate in our great game of Australian Rules Football and to compete with ... *to be competitive, maintain fitness and to above all enjoy your footy with your friends and family is the main motivation of the players in not only our competition but ...

*Gee sounds like it's straight out of Brad's playbook:p

And peeps reckon we can't develop players, poppycock.

I think a side any side that is looking at a bottom four finish should be excited by the prospect of their 35 year old fwd having a break out season.

My only concern is we might lose Waite.......

What is Masters Football? – Vic Metro
https://www.aflvm.com.au/about-us/what-is-masters-football/
AFL Masters is football that allows mature players (over 35) the opportunity to participate in our great game of Australian Rules Football and to compete with ... *to be competitive, maintain fitness and to above all enjoy your footy with your friends and family is the main motivation of the players in not only our competition but ...

*Gee sounds like it's straight out of Brad's playbook:p
I guess it depends on what one wants to be excited for. I'd love to see him have his bet year to date personally and that we have a great year and make finals. To me that is exciting. Whereas to a lot it isn't. I'm not into tanking at all and more believe in building a place that players want to be at or want to come to.

But ditto to HOF said above, I have no issue with that. If it goes down that path then bring in the youngins'.

This seems to be "where are we at" thread.

Right now I think we will be better than last year and on the improve, need an injury free year as the last two years we were cursed.
Teams like Melbourne and others that are expected to do well tend to fail, lets hope for that.
B Brown, Cunners, Mc Donald, Higgins, J Mac, Tarrant, Zeebs, and a few others, if they stay fit we will have a god fun year and beat the teams we hate.
that's my take anyway.

Lidge Jnr

This seems to be "where are we at" thread.

Right now I think we will be better than last year and on the improve, need an injury free year as the last two years we were cursed.
Teams like Melbourne and others that are expected to do well tend to fail, lets hope for that.
B Brown, Cunners, Mc Donald, Higgins, J Mac, Tarrant, Zeebs, and a few others, if they stay fit we will have a god fun year and beat the teams we hate.
that's my take anyway.

Lidge Jnr

Welcome back Sticks :thumbsu:

I hope you're still sporting the Mick Nolan jumper to games in 2018.

Lets not get too carried away.. It was a practice game. They're designed to shake the rust out

I don't think Sydney have ever won a practice game and they've gone ok over the years

Excellent summation.

At times things can feel bleak but it needs to be tempered with some reality.

If you compare our last decade with Melbourne's we've been almost exceptional.

We went from a club on the ropes with nothing but spirit and passion staving off death to one that is pretty much thriving off field and middling on it.

They went from no where to further away than no where back to no where, only now do they have the potential of somewhere. They also had to clear debt twice in that time, and have an AFL installed CEO and coach.

We are currently in a place we've never really been in the age of the draft. Poor on field without the potential for death off it.

Poor on field is a s**t sandwich, it always will be.

It also bares remembering we are North Melbourne. We ante up, we play the game. Even in the last decade with a team that wasn't the best, we put our chips on the table and had a crack. this will happen again, even if the down turn is slightly longer and despite any off field personnel.

Part of what hurts is the timing of our down turn and sub standard teams winning flags.

Our side of 2015 woulda gone close to beating both. It stings. It doesn't make me angry at us,it just makes me hate them more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back