2nds Glenelg vs Port Adelaide - Round 1 @ Glenelg

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to go full list management mode after 1 game but Neade, Toumpas, Lobbe and Irra are not good enough.

Our tall defenders got demolished, An extra tall in Doogie should help.

Get Frampton in the ruck and put Lobbe in the forward pocket as a 3rd tall.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
wow, whoever said we were going to smash it in the SANFL with our full list? carrying too many passengers, need to get our first rounder back next year.
That was the worst we could play and we lost by 3 goals. Not the end of the world, but we have a LOT to work on.

AhChee Outstanding
Frampton & Ladhams need to take some marks if we're going to be so tall up forward, they were both ineffective in way to many marking contests. Both were really poor tonight. Frampton's best play was when he won a couple clearances roving his own work, other than that he was basically unsighted.
Bonner & Toumpas need to give something, anything off half back.
Austin comprehensively beaten early really hurt us on the scoreboard.
Snelling & Drew failed to impact the game at all
Atley worked hard but his clearing disposals often miss the target, lots to work with though so focus will be on making sure he gets out of the contest
Neade opportunistic and scoring goals but failed to apply pressure on the way out and offered little around the ground
Krakouer & Pittard looked like they were AFL players out there, but both failed to impact the game
Lobbe - meh, all sorts of meh.
Summo - good
Reynolds - played like a seagull. He does that at times, and maybe it was because of the tall forward setup we had, but he really offered nothing else.
Johnson - horrible 1st half, improved in the second half. For some reason he is jogging around the ground to get to contests and only hitting the jets when he absolutely has to. He needs to use that speed earlier to buy himself more time and space. Overall though he did show some signs.
Marshall - * me the kid has natural talent coming out his ears, and I know he's young but that's my first look at him and his attitude.... well far out. He was just out there playing for fun, it wasn't serious, it wasn't something he'd commit to the contest for, he just cruised around and took lazy shots when he got the chance. The kids has some real super potential but you can see he needs a LOT of maturing before he is AFL ready.
Irra - He's almost like Flynn, he'll do a run every now and then, but he was losing his opponent, he was turning it over, etc regularly. Needs a fair bit more work than I ever expected. Probably provided the most rebound off half back for us though.
Lienert - Meh, started the game with a few horrible kicks out on the full and never really impressed after that.
Hewett - After Johnson KO'd him I think he was benched, not much before that.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
wow, whoever said we were going to smash it in the SANFL with our full list? carrying too many passengers, need to get our first rounder back next year.
I wonder if a few of them looked at how the Power smashed Sydney and Fremantle and took the wrong lesson from it? Thinking the list is a class above and could slack off and 'phone it in', rather then those results were from applying manic pressure from start to finish.

I wonder if a few of them looked at how the Power smashed Sydney and Fremantle and took the wrong lesson from it? Thinking the list is a class above and could slack off and 'phone it in', rather then those results were from applying manic pressure from start to finish.

That's the reason why these guys are in the reserves.

A good wake up call for them that nothing is a given in a competitive league.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Like no doubt many I thought tonight's line up was the best the Maggies have put on the park since we went within a gnat's appendage of winning the flag a few years back.

Reading through the list of players in cookie boy's post only reinforces that, which makes it even more difficult to come to terms with how poorly the team as a whole performed, is it game plan, attitude, coaching, what the f*** is it?

One thing we can be sure of, if the players put on the same insipid sh*t ( particularly in defence ) at the parade next week, the deadlegs WILL ream them senseless. :'(

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think it is a big case for concern. In the trials I watched a team that exhibited very good skill by hand and by foot, and played with method. Tonight our players couldn't hit most handballs and couldn't pick the ball up cleanly against guys that would never ever get a look in at ever being on AFL lists. I saw our players unwilling to spread wide with gut running and we struggled to execute a game style for the night. We fell to bits every time we got within two goals. So the concern I have is that our players and/or game style still looked vulnerable when we have pressure applied to us and we can't find ways to reverse that pressure back onto the opposition. I do note that we have a lot of young under-developed kids out there but collectively the talent is far better than these sanfl teams. I hope that our afl side has become better at dealing with pressure. Tonight's opposition were very good with their handball and kicking, and quick, and ran hard all night.
Demoralising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like no doubt many I thought tonight's line up was the best the Maggies have put on the park since we went within a gnat's appendage of winning the flag a few years back.

Reading through the list of players in cookie boy's post only reinforces that, which makes it even more difficult to come to terms with how poorly the team as a whole performed, is it game plan, attitude, coaching, what the f*** is it?

One thing we can be sure of, if the players put on the same insipid sh*t ( particularly in defence ) at the parade next week, the deadlegs WILL ream them senseless. :'(
Glenelg were tougher around the ball, Our disposal was terrible, We also couldn't defend well enough.

Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
That was the worst we could play and we lost by 3 goals. Not the end of the world, but we have a LOT to work on.

AhChee Outstanding
Frampton & Ladhams need to take some marks if we're going to be so tall up forward, they were both ineffective in way to many marking contests. Both were really poor tonight. Frampton's best play was when he won a couple clearances roving his own work, other than that he was basically unsighted.
Bonner & Toumpas need to give something, anything off half back.
Austin comprehensively beaten early really hurt us on the scoreboard.
Snelling & Drew failed to impact the game at all
Atley worked hard but his clearing disposals often miss the target, lots to work with though so focus will be on making sure he gets out of the contest
Neade opportunistic and scoring goals but failed to apply pressure on the way out and offered little around the ground
Krakouer & Pittard looked like they were AFL players out there, but both failed to impact the game
Lobbe - meh, all sorts of meh.
Summo - good
Reynolds - played like a seagull. He does that at times, and maybe it was because of the tall forward setup we had, but he really offered nothing else.
Johnson - horrible 1st half, improved in the second half. For some reason he is jogging around the ground to get to contests and only hitting the jets when he absolutely has to. He needs to use that speed earlier to buy himself more time and space. Overall though he did show some signs.
Marshall - **** me the kid has natural talent coming out his ears, and I know he's young but that's my first look at him and his attitude.... well far out. He was just out there playing for fun, it wasn't serious, it wasn't something he'd commit to the contest for, he just cruised around and took lazy shots when he got the chance. The kids has some real super potential but you can see he needs a LOT of maturing before he is AFL ready.
Irra - He's almost like Flynn, he'll do a run every now and then, but he was losing his opponent, he was turning it over, etc regularly. Needs a fair bit more work than I ever expected. Probably provided the most rebound off half back for us though.
Lienert - Meh, started the game with a few horrible kicks out on the full and never really impressed after that.
Hewett - After Johnson KO'd him I think he was benched, not much before that.
So Arch then daylight.

Our players had a bad game, however people on here need to calm down. The players will get better.

And at the end of the day, as fun as it is to pound the likes of Glenwood, it's just the reserves.

It's been 20 years already.

Dujon11

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bays
Ports defence was soundly beaten and couldnt hold the likes of McBean and Scott. Both players were clean in the air and took big one grab marks.

Bays intensity was the difference and didn't fumble the footy in close. Bradley and Scharenberg were among our best, Ah Chee was good for Port.

And at the end of the day, as fun as it is to pound the likes of Glenwood, it's just the reserves.

It's been 20 years already.

Also helps that a number of the Glenelg side were seasoned and mature ex AFL listers.

We had one hell of a fresh faced side out there. We got pretty close to them with what amounts to a bunch of hormonal school boys and a forward line featuring like 12 Adam's Family lurches.

Give them time to gel.

We're pretty tied up regarding selections because of the health of the list and the fact we can't play any of our dudes in the academy. It's going to be tough to balance the structure and it's going to cost us games.

So be it. Not much we can do right now but aggressively pursue a better reserves setup.

It may rectify itself as the season drags on and we get a few injuries, which will be inevitable.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I reckon Reynolds was ok but I think the forward line might be way too tall for him to fit in.

Robbie Young kicked 6 goals for the Academy so he's knocking the door down as a small option.
Yeah Reynolds can't be playing league next week, and that's obviously going to hurt our goal scoring ability. We'd be better off with Robbie Young at the feet of the big forwards

kgerlach01

Team Captain
Dec 29, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I told you guys, with this many AFL players we never win, selfishness and just plain showing off to impress the AFL coaches instead of doing the team thing, we play the exact same way next week, no hope, Norwood are much better than Glenelg.

Contrast to the reserve's/academy, brilliant! Sharrad, young, beimans, Ross, I prey they come into the side at some point this year so we can get some leadership and passion, other wise, it will be this way week after week.

Also helps that a number of the Glenelg side were seasoned and mature ex AFL listers.

We had one hell of a fresh faced side out there. We got pretty close to them with what amounts to a bunch of hormonal school boys and a forward line featuring like 12 Adam's Family lurches.

Give them time to gel.

That too.

Speaking purely to the reacts to this result, if the past few years have taught us anything it's that the demands of the AFL side and the SANFL's wacky rules (thinking back to the 2014 GF when an underdone Butcher had to take the field over the fit and in-form Bruggeman) will mean we'll almost certainly never win a flag under the current setup if that's what people are expecting, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back