2nds Glenelg vs Port Adelaide - Round 1 @ Glenelg

Remove this Banner Ad

What will really bake your noodle is Lobbe truly thinks he deserves to be playing AFL.

I told you, the guy is delusional.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
To show how bad this result was , 2 weeks ago Glenelg lost to Norwood by 110 points !
Glenelg are just about the worst side in the SANFL .

They played bloody well last night, strong, skilled, committed, physical, fast footy.
We were still in trial mode

Visenfest

Chasing stability
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He got plenty of taps, but not to advantage. Either the mids are out of position or he still has a lot to work on. Carn Ladey, work your magic.
I get the feeling that Lobbe is beyond help. He had a great 2014, but he's done. He won't get any better.

What will really bake your noodle is Lobbe truly thinks he deserves to be playing AFL.

Well he does have an AFL playing contract until 2050. I'd be feeling the same!

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Expected a 20 goal drubbing tbh. :(

Not even in trial mode our lot.

Son did the water bag trip via car, O'Bahn, tram then walking - from Modbury to roofless stadium. Got paid back for the effort with that tripe. His comment "piss poor performance" against a "rabble with no money and no roof".

Hate to think what will be the result when we play a top 8 side!!!!!

Could be a 200 point win for the Legs next week...........

"On paper" we are as good as anyone, but between the ears - well maybe SANFL is a BIG deal for other clubs, but for AFL listed ones it is just "don't bust a boiler or get injured, and when a spot becomes available in the A's we can nab it"?

Horrible omen for tonite.

Hopefully the 2 week break disrupted our blokes, and we come out breathing fire against the enemy Thursday.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The rock lobster should dominate against most, if not all sanfl ruckmen, but from an AFL point of view he is now only a break glass in case of emergency player.

If he has another ordinary year, you do have to wonder if the club would consider cutting its losses at the end of this season and paying out his contract.
With the hoped for ( expected? ) improvement in Frampton, and with Ladhams waiting in the wings, cutting him may be a better option than having him clogging up the list and affecting the game time of those who may have more of a future.

I don't expect we will be that proactive though, and he will remain on the list until his contract expires.

Jul 11, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The rock lobster should dominate against most, if not all sanfl ruckmen, but from an AFL point of view he is now only a break glass in case of emergency player.

If he has another ordinary year, you do have to wonder if the club would consider cutting its losses at the end of this season and paying out his contract.
With the hoped for ( expected? ) improvement in Frampton, and with Ladhams waiting in the wings, cutting him may be a better option than having him clogging up the list and affecting the game time of those who may have more of a future.

I don't expect we will be that proactive though, and he will remain on the list until his contract expires.

Surely we could find a gig around the club for him to get some worth out of our money? Groundskeeper or something? Does his contract stipulate that he has to be doing football related jobs??

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Expected a 20 goal drubbing tbh. :(

Not even in trial mode our lot.

Son did the water bag trip via car, O'Bahn, tram then walking - from Modbury to roofless stadium. Got paid back for the effort with that tripe. His comment "piss poor performance" against a "rabble with no money and no roof".

Hate to think what will be the result when we play a top 8 side!!!!!

Could be a 200 point win for the Legs next week...........

"On paper" we are as good as anyone, but between the ears - well maybe SANFL is a BIG deal for other clubs, but for AFL listed ones it is just "don't bust a boiler or get injured, and when a spot becomes available in the A's we can nab it"?

Horrible omen for tonite.

Hopefully the 2 week break disrupted our blokes, and we come out breathing fire against the enemy Thursday.
All well and good but the criers reserves still nearly made a GF last year. That's club culture and if ours don't switch on next game I will be disappointed.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Surely we could find a gig around the club for him to get some worth out of our money? Groundskeeper or something? Does his contract stipulate that he has to be doing football related jobs??

I assume a standard footy contract stipulates it is to represent a particular club as a player, but there maybe references to jnr coaching, visiting schools, charity work, media work etc.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
The reserves side gets an inflated opinion of itself due to soft trial game results. Players are more interested in personal form.
On a wind-less perfect night for footy there was no doubt the Bays came to play. Hard as they wanted to be they were allowed to.
Our 1st free was after their 5th. The count at 1/4 time was 9-2 not including last touch or OOB's on the full.
We could hardly get a clearance and therefore struggled to control the contest. We didn't help our cause with dropped marks
missed h/balls etc. Glenelg were good no doubt about it.
3 goals to 2 second qtr and we had stemmed their onslaught but the worrying signs were there. We still struggled to get 1st touch
and their link up play was better. It's hard to execute tactics when you don't get the ball 1st. People talk of Snelling being
less than wow, well Lobbe rucked for approx 80% last night a correlation ? Austin stood an ex AFL listed player 7/8cm taller
10kgs? heavier enjoying repeatedly good service. Austin struggled, sheesh I wonder why.

Players are more interested in personal form.[/QUOTE]
mmmm.....what I saw was hard to argue against this. Having said that was Chad out coached, the players out played
and the umpires bent. Imo Yes to all 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Is he still a more effective ruckman than Ladhams and Frampton? Don't think anything will change until this reverses. When it does, and hopefully this is soon given the comments about our top heavy forward line, it may be time to delist during the season. Can we rest players or do we have to play them in the Maggies firsts?

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers

People said the same about O'Shea

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On a wind-less perfect night for footy there was no doubt the Bays came to play. Hard as they wanted to be they were allowed to.
Our 1st free was after their 5th. The count at 1/4 time was 9-2 not including last touch or OOB's on the full.
We could hardly get a clearance and therefore struggled to control the contest. We didn't help our cause with dropped marks
missed h/balls etc. Glenelg were good no doubt about it.
3 goals to 2 second qtr and we had stemmed their onslaught but the worrying signs were there. We still struggled to get 1st touch
and their link up play was better. It's hard to execute tactics when you don't get the ball 1st. People talk of Snelling being
less than wow, well Lobbe rucked for approx 80% last night a correlation ? Austin stood an ex AFL listed player 7/8cm taller
10kgs? heavier enjoying repeatedly good service. Austin struggled, sheesh I wonder why.

Players are more interested in personal form.
mmmm.....what I saw was hard to argue against this. Having said that was Chad out coached, the players out played
and the umpires bent. Imo Yes to all 3.[/QUOTE]

Interesting comment re `Chad out coached, ' but I have a feeling you maybe onto something. ;)

My player reviews.

Ah Chee for mine was our best player by a mile. Knocking on the door.
Summerton got a heap of the ball but even though he was on the wing he found it hard to have a big impact on the game.
Reynolds was ok, kicked a few goals but it's possible that he may get dropped because our fwd line is too tall.
Frampton when thrown into the ruck had a good impact on the game. Should play there more often.
Johnson had flashes of good play inside forward 50 but not enough for it to be a solid game.
Marshall was probably our best AFL listed forward for the night, not great but showed decent signs.
Krak was ok in patches but for mine wasn't good enough.
Lienert didn't have the best of days, probably more help down back would be good.
Snelling and Drew were not good enough in the midfield and lost that battle.
Pittard had no room to move in a highly contested game.
Ladhams, Palmer and Bonner had little impact on the game.
Atley and Irras disposal were pretty bad.
Lobbe was horrible in the ruck but took a mark up forward and got a goal.
Neade had a terrible game, no urgency in his play at all.
Toumpas and Austin got absolutely destroyed.
Hewett might have a concession or shoulder injury after some friendly fire not 100% sure.

Meanwhile in the Academy
Doogie Howard was on the bench the 1st quarter, Went down back for the 2nd and 3rd quarters, Took a few good marks and then in the last quarter went up forward and kicked 2 goals. Finished the game strongly so hopefully his fitness levels are ok.
Sharrad completely destroyed Glenelgs midfield.
Robbie Young kicked 6, he was outstanding.
Jon Ross kicked 4 then played the last quarter down back, great game from him.
Harris, Tom Gray, Cooper, Ginever, Biemans, Hampton, Corcoran, Davidson, Rudloff in that order were all good too.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is he still a more effective ruckman than Ladhams and Frampton? Don't think anything will change until this reverses. When it does, and hopefully this is soon given the comments about our top heavy forward line, it may be time to delist during the season. Can we rest players or do we have to play them in the Maggies firsts?

You would hope that both of Frampton and Ladhams would have better futures than Lobbe.

I doubt there is any chance of him being delisted during the season, and I doubt the sanfl rules allow either of the AFL clubs to `rest ' an uninjured player.

Those rules bit us hard for the 2014 gf when a clearly underdone, and not yet up to it Russell had to be chosen, whilst players who had helped get us there, ie Bruggeman, and Haren had to be omitted.

Clearly they want our money, but they also want to reduce our options to put the best team on the park. :(

Aug 16, 2009
Latvia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Did you go last night axeman?
If so, a few of us are hanging out for your opinion on what went wrong.
Anyway I am, so that should be plenty to convince you to crank up. ;)

Hahaha mate I didn't. Had a few beers at work during the BBQ and then a few more beers when I got home.

Wylde Jnr spat it when I told him I couldn't drive him to the game LOL

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Interesting comment re `Chad out coached, ' but I have a feeling you maybe onto something. ;)
In fairness they got 1st use of the ball nearly all night. Whether Chad's a good coach or not we can all appreciate
that Ken pulls the strings on how we set up and go from there. This goes from AFL to our academy who by the way
looked more like a Magpies team in strolling to a
21-19
8-5
win

Whilst last night was a disappointing result its not wrist slashing time or depression time.

It was what I have seen plenty of times since both pre and post reunification - boys vs men. The bigger bodies and more experienced brains meant Glenelg played better. Plus it means more to a SANFL side to play round 1 at home under lights against an AFL's B grade side. Reminds me of the 3 or 4 games I have gone to watch Port play Norwood at the Parade in round 1.

The 3 guys that stood out for Glenelg were
#7 Mclean 22 years of age 202cm/85kgs been on an AFL list kicked 6.
#25 McGinity 25 years of age 198/106 and nullified Lobbe and was a big presence in the forward line.
#13 Barry 22 years of age 180/76 ( I reckon more than 76kgs) has played AFL and blistering speed.

Take out about 8 minutes in the first quarter when they kicked 4 unanswered goals and there wasn't a lot in the match for the rest of the night. The big difference was Glenelg were better with their handballs and composure when flying in packs and someone staying down. Our kicking wasn't poor it was ok but our handballing was very poor that caused turnovers and also stopped our momentum. Their's was slick and helped them run the ball thru the lines.

The game was played at a bloody impressive pace and some slick attacking footy by both sides. I hate the SANFL night games because there are always the far away deep pockets from where you are standing, that you loose who the players are because the lighting isn't good enough.

I don't have a problem with us playing a tall side but our smaller players have to be smart enough to know when not to compete against the big guys in the air and sit down and crumb the packs.

Lets look at our age profile
18/19 Atley, Drew, Marshall Johnson Ladhams Snelling
20 Bonner Hewett Palmer
21 Austin Frampton

That's half the side under 22 and under 25 you add Neade, Irra, Toumpas, Lienert , Ah Chee and Reynolds. That's 17 out of 21.

So this sort of boys vs men result will happen a few more times over 18 games. Games aren't played on paper and good young players have to learn the game. The 2 trials so far have been slicker less physical footy, we have played 24 or 25 and Monfries and White have played to help guide some of the kids. Plus only the second half of the Sturt trial has been played under full lights, so a bit of dew last night might have contributed to our poor skills. Then you have to ask why we didn't play a trial last week. Why the hell do SANFL sides have to be protected with a week off??

Player reviews
Marshall - I'm not as negative as Cookie on him. That would have been the biggest most hostile crowd the lad has played in front of in his 3 seasons of Aussie Rules. He is learning the game and has a laconic nature about him which means people might misunderstand his approach but has plenty of talent and skill. I can see him playing a couple of AFL this year, late in the year IF we pick up injuries to our KPF's and he keeps improving.

Ladhams - I didn't understand why he didn't have a go in the ruck. Went for a lot of contested marks that were almost taken. has a beautiful kick, that pass to Marshall in the second quarter and then that 55m set shot goal in the last were proof. But he had a shocker set shot for goal 40m/60 degree set shot for goal in the last quarter, when scores were about 13 pts that was the incorrect side for a left footer that he put out on the full in the other pocket. Took a great contested mark at the southern end, think it might have been for the 55m set shot.

Frampton - Like Ladhams he had quite a few nearly contested marks for the night in the forward line but spilt them. Did a good job in the ruck when he had a couple of decent runs in the second half. Threw his weight around a couple of times as you'd expect from wild Billy.

Now Cookie reckons that we are too tall in the forward line but I reckon that's crap. What we have to do when we play these 3 forward is make sure not all 3 are flying against each other and in particular nobody else does, ie the smaller blokes sit down and hunt the crumbs.

Renyolds - needs to go and see Todd Sampson and retrain his brain. For 2 or 3 years he has played as a KPF. With the above forward line he has to play more as a crumber. He is 1cm shorter than Aaron Young. Did some nice things in the first quarter and kicked a couple, maybe it was kicked one and kicked a point. I have written that he has clean hands. He dropped a couple of easy ones last night. He has played 6 quarters in the light/dusk and only 2 under lights in the trials. So maybe a bit of dew and extra pressure caused some fumbles. Once again I have to disagree with Cookie on that mark in the last quarter. He was about 75m from the player who bombed the ball into the forward line, think it was Marshall on the wing. There was a Glenelg player 15m in front of him where the ball dropped. He went flat out to get to the contest and got on his opponents shoulder but dropped the chest mark. I suspect he was completely off balance because of the ground he had to make up just to get to the contest.

Neade - another one who has to visit Todd Sampson and retrain his brain. I don't know if it was the BS Ken has programmed him to play deep in the AFL side in 2013-15 years and have to compete against 195cm players but the kid doesn't know where to place himself when the ball is kicked to a pack to crumb and then have a ping on goals. With a likely regular forward line of Marshall, Ladhams and Frampton, he should be licking his lips at the opportunities coming his way if he learnt to play front and centre. Did a few nice things and kicked a good goal from the boundary but doesn't do enough. Will struggle to play AFL this year but he is Kenny's favourite so who really knows.

Johnson - He did some good and some bad things last night. When he puts on the after burners to attack the ball or go for a tackle he is a pleasure to watch. but at other times he dawdles around and dosen't go to the right places as a forward. At least he didn't decided to fly against our big forwards.

Lobbe - I thought he started well, rucked well, took a contest mark and goaled and was involved in a few link up handballs in play, but I thought McGinity beat him in the last 3 quarters despite Lobbe getting more taps. He must have spent 80% or more in the ruck but should have rucked less. McGinity pushed forward and was a presence in Glenelg's forward line which Lobbe could not nullify. it will be a long season for him.

The 3 headband backline players
Austin - struggled all night was given a bath by McBean. Dirty night for Logan.

Leinert - had a good first half but in the second half he flew too many times when he didn't have to. His kicking was off too. I reckon he kicked 4 out on the full, 3 by only a metre or so, but were 50m passes and one shocker into the crowd. Struggled a bit with Milera.

Pittard - Glenelg targeted him, not in a thuggish way, but nearly every time he got the ball in the first half he was tackled by 2 or 3 players to stop him causing havoc. I reckon he backed off in the second half trying to break the lines. maybe was protecting the hammy. had a better second half but didnt stand out as a top AFL player last night.

Toumpas - a couple of nice things but most of the night was asking for the ball in bad spots and luckily most times was ignored by his team mates. he looked a bit lost out there at times.

Irra - competes hard and one bit of play he showed his pace in a great bit of one two handball thru the corridor, but if it wasn't for the multicultural rookie B category I doubt he would be rookied by any AFL club.

Bonner - was ok but didn't get too many kicks. Played a bitter better defensively than the last trial.

Snelling - good first quarter but hardly noticed him in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. I remember him winning a great ground ball in a 20 second slug fest middle of the last quarter around the centre square line at CHF.

Krak - poor, average, barely got it. Not sure where he was playing.

Palmer - didn't do much. A couple of times he flew in a pack against our big guys when he should have stayed down.

Hewett - go cleaned up early second quarter in a 3 way collision with a team mate and a glenelg player chasing a lose ball in the guts and was off for the rest of the night. Did see him before that.

Drew - played ok early on, spent a lot of time up forward in the first half but got crunched a few times in the packs and saw little of him in the second half. has a bit more to do before he debuts at AFL level.

Atley - The distributor had 15 handballs after getting plenty of hardball gets and clearances, but 3 or 4 sloppy handballs undid his good work. I reckon he was our 3rd best. There was one bit of play in the 3rd quarter where he won a tough stoppage around the NE corner of the centre square, then dodged and weaved beautifully around a couple of players, sees Johnson in his peripheral vision goes a 12-15m handball and if lands in Johnson hands he runs into goal from about 40m out for a clear shot on goal, but the sloppy handball drops a couple of metres short, doesn't half volley but bobbles along the turf, Johnson can't grab it and Glenelg player swoops on it and they end up driving it thru the corridor and pretty sure it ends up with McBean taking a mark 20m out and then goals. But Atley was not out muscled by the bigger Glenelg mids. He will play AFL in 2017 barring injury.

Summo - showed his experience and class all night and was a critical player in the tough contest. Delivered as he always does. I gave him second best.

Ah Chee - Was BOG and was everywhere and had a crack at everything, winning the hard ball, drifting up forward and kicking goals, taking important marks, having his weekly crack at mark of the year, long handballs, slick handballs and some nice field kicking. Has trimmed down a bit but I wonder if seeing Ebo, Ollie and SPP lead the midfield he now sees himself at first drop if one of them gets injured to replace them as the big bodied mid fielder.

That's 3 games I have enjoyed watching our SANFL side this year and watching who is developing.

Last edited:

MutleyDog

Grumble Bum Extraordinaire
Nov 5, 2014
Straya
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Power freak 2008

Premiers 2004, 2020 Covid Premiers
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys/New York Yankees
Whilst last night was a disappointing result its not wrist slashing time or depression time.

It was what I have seen plenty of times since both pre and post reunification - boys vs men. The bigger bodies and more experienced brains meant Glenelg played better. Plus it means more to a SANFL side to play round 1 at home under lights against an AFL's B grade side. Reminds me of the 3 or 4 games I have gone to watch Port play Norwood at the Parade in round 1.

The 3 guys that stood out for Glenelg were
#7 Mclean 22 years of age 202cm/85kgs been on an AFL list kicked 6.
#25 McGinity 25 years of age 198/106 and nullified Lobbe and was a big presence in the forward line.
#13 Barry 22 years of age 180/76 ( I reckon more than 76kgs) has played AFL and blistering speed.

Take out about 8 minutes in the first quarter when they kicked 4 unanswered goals and there wasn't a lot in the match for the rest of the night. The big difference was Glenelg were better with their handballs and composure when flying in packs and someone staying down. Our kicking wasn't poor it was ok but our handballing was very poor that caused turnovers and also stopped our momentum. Their's was slick and helped them run the ball thru the lines.

The game was played at a bloody impressive pace and some slick attacking footy by both sides. I hate the SANFL night games because there are always the far away deep pockets from where you are standing, that you loose who the players are because the lighting isn't good enough.

I don't have a problem with us playing a tall side but our smaller players have to be smart enough to know when not to compete against the big guys in the air and sit down and crumb the packs.

Lets look at our age profile
18/19 Atley, Drew, Marshall Johnson Ladhams Snelling
20 Bonner Hewett Palmer
21 Austin Frampton

That's half the side under 22 and under 25 you add Neade, Irra, Toumpas, Lienert , Ah Chee and Reynolds. That's 17 out of 21.

So this sort of boys vs men result will happen a few more times over 18 games. Games aren't played on paper and good young players have to learn the game. The 2 trials so far have been slicker less physical footy, we have played 24 or 25 and Monfries and White have played to help guide some of the kids. Plus only the second half of the Sturt trial has been played under full lights, so a bit of dew last night might have contributed to our poor skills. Then you have to ask why we didn't play a trial last week. Why the hell do SANFL sides have to be protected with a week off??

Player reviews
Marshall - I'm not as negative as Cookie on him. That would have been the biggest most hostile crowd the lad has played in front of in his 3 seasons of Aussie Rules. He is learning the game and has a laconic nature about him which means people might misunderstand his approach but has plenty of talent and skill. I can see him playing a couple of AFL this year, late in the year IF we pick up injuries to our KPF's and he keeps improving.

Ladhams - I didn't understand why he didn't have a go in the ruck. Went for a lot of contested marks that were almost taken. has a beautiful kick, that pass to Marshall in the second quarter and then that 55m set shot goal in the last were proof. But he had a shocker set shot for goal 40m/60 degree set shot for goal in the last quarter, when scores were about 13 pts that was the incorrect side for a left footer that he put out on the full in the other pocket. Took a great contested mark at the southern end, think it might have been for the 55m set shot.

Frampton - Like Ladhams he had quite a few nearly contested marks for the night in the forward line but spilt them. Did a good job in the ruck when he had a couple of decent runs in the second half. Threw his weight around a couple of times as you'd expect from wild Billy.

Now Cookie reckons that we are too tall in the forward line but I reckon that's crap. What we have to do when we play these 3 forward is make sure not all 3 are flying against each other and in particular nobody else does, ie the smaller blokes sit down and hunt the crumbs.

Renyolds - needs to go and see Todd Sampson and retrain his brain. For 2 or 3 years he has played as a KPF. With the above forward line he has to play more as a crumber. He is 1cm shorter than Aaron Young. Did some nice things in the first quarter and kicked a couple, maybe it was kicked one and kicked a point. I have written that he has clean hands. He dropped a couple of easy ones last night. He has played 6 quarters in the light/dusk and only 2 under lights in the trials. So maybe a bit of dew and extra pressure caused some fumbles. Once again I have to disagree with Cookie on that mark in the last quarter. He was about 75m from the player who bombed the ball into the forward line, think it was Marshall on the wing. There was a Glenelg player 15m in front of him where the ball dropped. He went flat out to get to the contest and got on his opponents shoulder but dropped the chest mark. I suspect he was completely off balance because of the ground he had to make up just to get to the contest.

Neade - another one who has to visit Todd Sampson and retrain his brain. I don't know if it was the BS Ken has programmed him to play deep in the AFL side in 2013-15 years and have to compete against 195cm players but the kid doesn't know where to place himself when the ball is kicked to a pack to crumb and then have a ping on goals. With a likely regular forward line of Marshall, Ladhams and Frampton, he should be licking his lips at the opportunities coming his way if he learnt to play front and centre. Did a few nice things and kicked a good goal from the boundary but doesn't do enough. Will struggle to play AFL this year but he is Kenny's favourite so who really knows.

Johnson - He did some good and some bad things last night. When he puts on the after burners to attack the ball or go for a tackle he is a pleasure to watch. but at other times he dawdles around and dosen't go to the right places as a forward. At least he didn't decided to fly against our big forwards.

Lobbe - I thought he started well, rucked well, took a contest mark and goaled and was involved in a few link up handballs in play, but I thought McGinity beat him in the last 3 quarters despite Lobbe getting more taps. He must have spent 80% or more in the ruck but should have rucked less. McGinity pushed forward and was a presence in Glenelg's forward line which Lobbe could not nullify. it will be a long season for him.

The 3 headband backline players
Austin - struggled all night was given a bath by McBean. Dirty night for Logan.

Leinert - had a good first half but in the second half he flew too many times when he didn't have to. His kicking was off too. I reckon he kicked 4 out on the full, 3 by only a metre or so, but were 50m passes and one shocker into the crowd. Struggled a bit with Milera.

Pittard - Glenelg targeted him, not in a thuggish way, but nearly every time he got the ball in the first half he was tackled by 2 or 3 players to stop him causing havoc. I reckon he backed off in the second half trying to break the lines. maybe was protecting the hammy. had a better second half but didnt stand out as a top AFL player last night.

Toumpas - a couple of nice things but most of the night was asking for the ball in bad spots and luckily most times was ignored by his team mates. he looked a bit lost out there at times.

Irra - competes hard and one bit of play he showed his pace in a great bit of one two handball thru the corridor, but if it wasn't for the multicultural rookie B category I doubt he would be rookied by any AFL club.

Bonner - was ok but didn't get too many kicks. Played a bitter better defensively than the last trial.

Snelling - good first quarter but hardly noticed him in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. I remember him winning a great ground ball in a 20 second slug fest middle of the last quarter around the centre square line at CHF.

Krak - poor, average, barely got it. Not sure where he was playing.

Palmer - didn't do much. A couple of times he flew in a pack against our big guys when he should have stayed down.

Hewett - go cleaned up early second quarter in a 3 way collision with a team mate and a glenelg player chasing a lose ball in the guts and was off for the rest of the night. Did see him before that.

Drew - played ok early on, spent a lot of time up forward in the first half but got crunched a few times in the packs and saw little of him in the second half. has a bit more to do before he debuts at AFL level.

Atley - The distributor had 15 handballs after getting plenty of hardball gets and clearances, but 3 or 4 sloppy handballs undid his good work. I reckon he was our 3rd best. There was one bit of play in the 3rd quarter where he won a tough stoppage around the NE corner of the centre square, then dodged and weaved beautifully around a couple of players, sees Johnson in his peripheral vision goes a 12-15m handball and if lands in Johnson hands he runs into goal from about 40m out for a clear shot on goal, but the sloppy handball drops a couple of metres short, doesn't half volley but bobbles along the turf, Johnson can't grab it and Glenelg player swoops on it and they end up driving it thru the corridor and pretty sure it ends up with McBean taking a mark 20m out and then goals. But Atley was not out muscled by the bigger Glenelg mids. He will play AFL in 2017 barring injury.

Summo - showed his experience and class all night and was a critical player in the tough contest. Delivered as he always does. I gave him second best.

Ah Chee - Was BOG and was everywhere and had a crack at everything, winning the hard ball, drifting up forward and kicking goals, taking important marks, having his weekly crack at mark of the year, long handballs, slick handballs and some nice field kicking. Has trimmed down a bit but I wonder if seeing Ebo, Ollie and SPP lead the midfield he now sees himself at first drop if one of them gets injured to replace them as the big bodied mid fielder.

That's 3 games I have enjoyed watching our SANFL side this year and watching who is developing.

Was going to say something to this effect although not as detailed and succinct. A lot of responsibility for Drew and Atley. Johnson needs another year in the weights room but he has been injured and still needs to mature. I was disappointed in Lobbe in that he wasn't a very strong body in the clinches. He used to be have great second efforts and has dropped off in that area. Toumpas needs to decide whether he wants to resurrect his career. I loved the effort of Archie though. Much more attacking and seems to have a few tricks. Really want to see him get his chance in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back