2nds Glenelg vs Port Adelaide - Round 2 @ Glenelg

All the SANFL clubs scramble like madmen to pick up ex port listed players. We develop them and then they nab them after the rules basically dictate we lose them.

No ALF in the SALF indeed

Players that have previously spent time at Port Adelaide that are at other SANFL clubs. (Could be missing a few)
Glenelg - 9: Luke Reynolds, Ben Sawford, Terry Milera, Marlon Motlop, Sean Davidson, Tom Corcoran, Zac Hawkins, Derick Wanganeen, Jack Haarsma
Centrals - 7: John Butcher, Justin Hoskin, Tyler Harris, Chol Anyang, Kyle Jenner, Nick Madden, Ben Nason
Eagles - 6: Jake Johansen, Paul Stewart, Tom Gray, Louis Sharrad, Jarrad Redden, Nathan Rudloff
North Adelaide - 6: Keenan Ramsey, Alex Barns, Robbie Young, Mitch Harvey, Anthony Stengle, Keanu Miller
Norwood - 5: Simon Phillips, Luke Wilson, Anthony Wilson, Declan Hamilton, Kerian Agius
Sturt - 4: Zane Kirkwood, Sam Colquhoun, Brad Coulson, James Watt
South Adelaide - 3: Anthony Biemans, Matt Rose, Ben Haren
West Adelaide - 1: Daniel Webb
Crows - 1: Andrew McPherson

Apr 27, 2003
Kensington Gardens
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
B'ham CityFC Adelaide United FC
Such a sweet victory, watched it on the SANFL Digital Pass and their commentators were gutted we won and barely gave us any credit all game.

Umpiring was a joke as per usual.

Sam Hayes. How the hell did we manage to get someone of his quality in the middle of the draft?! The boy's a bit special ...

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
great win
certainly better than my experience last year at glenelg

few thoughts

Atley - too good for this level. lead our midfield

Trengove- too smart for this level. wasn't as punishing as Atley but everything he did was clever

Hayes- AFL next week.

Power freak 2008

Premiers 2004, 2020 Covid Premiers
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys/New York Yankees
I have moved to Melbourne. Still getting used to the fact that Port should be the biggest story early in the season but the biggest news are the Hawks. Would have gone to that game at the Bay. A great win. We usually lose there so it is a good sign that such a young team can get the chocolates there. Would have loved to see the look on their faces.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Players that have previously spent time at Port Adelaide that are at other SANFL clubs. (Could be missing a few)
Glenelg - 9: Luke Reynolds, Ben Sawford, Terry Milera, Marlon Motlop, Sean Davidson, Tom Corcoran, Zac Hawkins, Derick Wanganeen, Jack Haarsma
Centrals - 7: John Butcher, Justin Hoskin, Tyler Harris, Chol Anyang, Kyle Jenner, Nick Madden, Ben Nason
Eagles - 6: Jake Johansen, Paul Stewart, Tom Gray, Louis Sharrad, Jarrad Redden, Nathan Rudloff
North Adelaide - 6: Keenan Ramsey, Alex Barns, Robbie Young, Mitch Harvey, Anthony Stengle, Keanu Miller
Norwood - 5: Simon Phillips, Luke Wilson, Anthony Wilson, Declan Hamilton, Kerian Agius
And the SANFL have the audacity to say the AFL (well Pot) ares destroying the SANFL.
Next time the SANFL clubs and Partland complain, let's tell 'em to give us all our players back then..
Please win the Magpies flag this year boys, please.

I had seen previews/profiles of him before the draft but as that's never really been my focus, I didn't put the name to the face, etc.

When I realised we'd got him at pick #50-odd I couldn't believe it.

I’m pretty sure I posted something along the lines of “how is Hayes still on the board?” at about pick 25. Getting him at #47 is absolute pants down lap around the table time.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
So a couple more wins should guarantee us a finals spot then:)
We're doing well, but at the same time we may well have played 2 of the future bottom 3 so far, with the Roosters the other obvious cellar dweller. Our test comes over the next few weeks with Sturt and the Eagles.

Last edited:

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
As much as Hayes may have been a steal, the fact that any raw young draftee ruckman looks so good at this level is astonishing. At this stage Lobbe was playing reserves and struggling. I can understand the coaches might have concerns about him at his age in the AFL, especially around strength and fitness, but geez we have to be thinking seriously about giving him a game or 2 soon.

mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
The free kick count was laughable. 24-23 after starting 3-14. The umpires must have got a roasting at 1/4 time and started to even things up. Even when they did they still did their best to present Glenelg with the game by gifting Sawford a free in front of goal. Not saying it wasn't there but even the Bay commentators agreed that the umps were putting the whistle away at the end of the game and the Sawford free was much less than a lot that had been missed. But we still should have had a bigger wi with 56% possession, 80 more disposals, 16 more hitouts and 12 more inside 50s. Allowing a goal from less than 3 inside 50s and a score from just over 2 is too lax.

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have moved to Melbourne. Still getting used to the fact that Port should be the biggest story early in the season but the biggest news are the Hawks. Would have gone to that game at the Bay. A great win. We usually lose there so it is a good sign that such a young team can get the chocolates there. Would have loved to see the look on their faces.
The look was priceless. Only downfall was the $14 to the sanfl

As much as Hayes may have been a steal, the fact that any raw young draftee ruckman looks so good at this level is astonishing. At this stage Lobbe was playing reserves and struggling ....
That's a good point. Also Frampton started off pretty well before sequential injuries.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Well done RossFC on here it's a sea of thought bubbles, opinions and bias and it's refreshing that you've done the homework
to reveal the facts.

Marat

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2017
Marrickville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As much as Hayes may have been a steal, the fact that any raw young draftee ruckman looks so good at this level is astonishing. At this stage Lobbe was playing reserves and struggling. I can understand the coaches might have concerns about him at his age in the AFL, especially around strength and fitness, but geez we have to be thinking seriously about giving him a game or 2 soon.
It was good to see Sam Hayes up close - with a bit of luck and good management he might be something special. Kicking with the wind in the third he spent a good half the quarter resting forward with Wild Bill Frampton in the ruck. Took a good pack mark at full extension and then goaled, intercepted a defensive kick with a tap down leading directly to a Neade goal, took a mark on the lead but drifted it to the right for a point, and had a run down tackle about 15 metres out from goal which should have been paid holding the ball. This was all in about 12 minutes of play. I would gues that Frampton took about 60% of the ruck work so the feeling may be that Hayes is too green and if they are going to elevate a ruckman it will be Frampton. I wouldnt be opposed to this - i am content to let Hayes develop both his body and his tank for another 12 months before exposing him. The bay is a pretty small oval and at times his running patterns forward of the ball looked a little stagnant but i think this will resolve with greater fitness and power, quicker ball movement, and more space to work in. Most of Hayes ruck work was body on body, but there was at least one centre bounce where he leapt with beautiful soft hands leading to a clearance that was reminiscent of the best of Ryder and Gray. Get on board the Samuel Hayes train!

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
We're doing well, but at the same time we may well have played 2 of the future bottom 3 so far, with the Roosters the other obvious cellar dweller. Our test comes over the next few weeks with Sturt and the Eagles.
The Bays are not a chump team and they're well coached. The proof was on the scoreboard. Yeah the umps gave them a free ride
but we had to dig deep for the win.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Bays are not a chump team and they're well coached. The proof was on the scoreboard. Yeah the umps gave them a free ride
but we had to dig deep for the win.
Right now if I had to pick an SANFL ladder I'd think
Sturt
Eagles
Norwood
Central
Port/South
Glenelg
West
North
Adelaide

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
It was good to see Sam Hayes up close - with a bit of luck and good management he might be something special. Kicking with the wind in the third he spent a good half the quarter resting forward with Wild Bill Frampton in the ruck. Took a good pack mark at full extension and then goaled, intercepted a defensive kick with a tap down leading directly to a Neade goal, took a mark on the lead but drifted it to the right for a point, and had a run down tackle about 15 metres out from goal which should have been paid holding the ball. This was all in about 12 minutes of play. I would gues that Frampton took about 60% of the ruck work so the feeling may be that Hayes is too green and if they are going to elevate a ruckman it will be Frampton. I wouldnt be opposed to this - i am content to let Hayes develop both his body and his tank for another 12 months before exposing him. The bay is a pretty small oval and at times his running patterns forward of the ball looked a little stagnant but i think this will resolve with greater fitness and power, quicker ball movement, and more space to work in. Most of Hayes ruck work was body on body, but there was at least one centre bounce where he leapt with beautiful soft hands leading to a clearance that was reminiscent of the best of Ryder and Gray. Get on board the Samuel Hayes train!
Sam was pushed scragged held and blocked nearly all game great pickup. Kudos to our recruiters and thanks to the 17 other teams'
recruiters for being so ignorantly generous.

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Did anyone notice how bloody small the goalposts were last night ?
The replacement for the old grandstand and changerooms was laughable.
The changerooms on the outer were extremely sub standard.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
Id be happy to retain all of our current ruckmen for the next three to four years.. all are quick, skilled, mobile, athletic so if we can hold on to them they all have a future in the afl.

Hayes could be anything... never seen anything like that in a young ruckman..

They were so small that a Marlon Motlop snap was given a goal when it clearly went over the top of the wrong side of the goal post.

... I moved at 1/2 time coz my favourite cheersquad member :rolleyes: was making a dick of himself.
Guy with the hearing coils? He was a bit unrestrained last night. Ridiculous, sustained, loud umpire abuse.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

That must be because Garage Door Stadium is used for cricket during the JLT period, so they haven't hosted the AFL teams. You'd think Cricket Australia would have come to the party on the grandstand and change rooms though for the tens of thousands that would have flocked to the ground when it hosted the Shield final a few years back :p

Back