Glenferrie Gold Life Patrons of the Hawks Museum Function

Remove this Banner Ad

I attended the above function this evening hosted by Peter Haby and Rachel Bradshaw of the Hawks Museum.
A good 70 attended this great function led by Mike Derum with a question/answer to a Panel of Tassies comprising of Peter and Paul Hudson, Rodney Eade, Ian Paton, Darrin Prichard and Grant Birchall.
Many a story was told by these Greats and probably the best one as far as I was concerned was by Ian Paton as to how he was to play in the 1984 Grand Final v Essendon.
Due to injury 'The General' had not played in the earlier finals and 'Yabby' Jeans wanted to spring a surprise to all and not let on that Paton was going to play so he pulled Paton aside and asked him "do you want to play in the Grand Final" - this set Paton back and the reply was "of course" so Jeans said that he wanted this to be a top-secret - Paton agreed and then asked if he could tell his Dad in Tassie so he could come over. Jeans sad "NO". Paton then asked if he would be allowed to tell his wife. The reply was "I don't want 1/2 of Melbourne to know".
The teams were selected on Thursday with Paton as Emergency. Paton gets a call from Jeans to drop his Footy bag at Jeans' place on Friday.
Saturday comes and Paton and his wife get to the ground and sit in their seats and are watching the 2's Grannie and Paton says to his wife - I will just go and wish the boys all the best - last time he sat in that seat.
Whilst going to the rooms he was ushered into a trainers room and got changed.
Just prior to the team going out Paton makes his appearance to the shock of the other players.
Unfortunately, there has to be a very unlucky player to make way for him and it was Langers Snr - Paton had a quiet word to Langers but knew Langers was extremely upset over this.
HFC made up with Langers later and he became a champ of our Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back