News Glenn Archer joins the NMFC board (of Directors, not BF)

Remove this Banner Ad

The bigger question for me is who will be our next President after JB's time is up? Ben Buckley?

Brady Scanlon?

I think that after tipping in $1m to keep us in Melbourne i'd prefer Brady.

The Scanlon foundation does a lot of work with The Huddle as well if memory served.

I'd be more than happy to see him as president, but, as with everything, as long as we get the best person for the job, I'm happy.

A person with more business focus could possibly look at the Club as a "business" and therefore deduct that its a bad "business decision" to continue in Melbourne. You need a balance of business and passion on the board and while Arch may not have the business experience of others around (he obviously does have some), he certainly has the undying passion for the Club.

Disagree - we need business nous AND someone passionate about staying in Melbourne. I have no doubt about Arch's passion - just don't see that the board will be greatly enhanced by his addition - Archer can make better contributions in other roles at the club

Not for relocation, but I don't know what his position is on colocation which is the immediate threat.

If a board decision was made to take 6-7 game to Tassie, you'd think board solidarity would mean that Arch would fall in behind the position. Not to mention it's Brayshaw who is lobbying him to join, so his allegiances would lie close to him on the board.

Cynical me says he would be the perfect public face to keep dissenters happy.
I would be one such dissenter who would not be happy regardless of the pubic face pushed forward by the club if the board decided to sell us down the Bass Straight into the Doubleheaded Isle. :stern look

I would be one such dissenter who would not be happy regardless of the pubic face pushed forward by the club if the board decided to sell us down the Bass Straight into the Doubleheaded Isle. :stern look

193549-james-brayshaw.jpg

I hear ye ya.

Scanlon seems like a good prospect, but I'm a little worried that he may already be too busy with his chewing gum and footy card business to give the role the time and energy it requires.

Disagree - we need business nous AND someone passionate about staying in Melbourne. I have no doubt about Arch's passion - just don't see that the board will be greatly enhanced by his addition - Archer can make better contributions in other roles at the club

Perhaps he knows a thing or two about football and football clubs?

Mark was a great board member on paper, who knows what happens in the room.
But how many Accountants who played that have worked at other clubs than run there own
business in the sports industry are there?

Arch did have a business at one stage, no idea how it went/is going

I think Mark will be missed on the board, but Arch at least ticks a few boxes. We may
just need someone else on the board to tell James what the numbers mean.

I love the idea of Arch being on the board, but it does worry me that he appeared to be accepting of a Qld future before Roosistence & JB. If the board wanted to move to 7 games, I can't see him being a lone wolf and opposing.

Having said that, as a club legend with solid business experience, I think we'd be mad not to explore any and all opportunities with him, including having him on the board.

I may be wrong but our el presedentay had no business experience that i know off correct me if im wrong people but has the passion and the connections to keep us relevant. Arch certainly has our respect so deserves the chance to fly our flag if he thinks its in the clubs best interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a champion..Cannot speak highly enough of this guy!
Was lucky enough to run into him a few times when I worked at North back in 1997/98. He gives everyone the time of day! Amazing man!

Just quietly, his Mrs is a very lucky woman too :)

150415_ArcherLarge.jpg

Archer on board
Rob Burton - @robburton5

15 April 2015 9:31 PM

Glenn Archer says his love for North Melbourne made the decision to join the club’s board an easy one.

Following the departure of Mark Brayshaw to the AFL Coaches’ Association, the Shinboner of the Century has been appointed as Football Director.

Archer attended his first board meeting on Wednesday night.

“I’ve got a real love and affection for the football club,” Archer told NMFC.com.au.“I love the footy club and I just wanted to be able to give something back.

“I’m basically the conduit between the football department, Brad Scott (senior coach) and Geoff Walsh (Director of Football) back to the board.”

Archer said he’ll be aiming to use his knowledge to support Scott, as well as provide assistance in coaching, medical, fitness and list strategy.

“I totally understand the pressures the coaches come under.

“A lot of coaches get whacked a little bit because of the fact they are not communicating much with players and staff, but I’m big on putting myself in other people’s shoes; Brad Scott and every coach has a massive role.

“They’ve got 42 players to communicate with, they’ve got to set the game-plan, set the rules, prepare for every game and training session, they’ve got the coaches and the development coaches… so it’s a major role.

“My job 98 per cent of the time will be supporting what Brad’s doing and hopefully taking back to the board what he’s doing and in some ways helping us improve.”

Chairman James Brayshaw played a key role in luring Archer back to Arden Street.

Previously, he had a part-time role as an assistant coach in 2010.

“He’s (Brayshaw) been speaking to me for about four years about it,” Archer said.

“Once Mark Brayshaw jumped off the board, James gave me a call and asked if I be able to take his role.

“I’ve got nothing more than admiration for him (Brayshaw). When I retired back in 2007 he was the one who was the face of trying to keep us in Melbourne. We had a lot of debt, membership wasn’t high; everything he’s done since, the facility we are sitting in now… he’s played a major part.

“Unfortunately for James he’s got a very high profile, so he’s easy for people on the outside to have a go at him, but you look at his track record and what he’s been able to do for this club – he’s been fantastic.”

Archer pointed to the remarkable hurdles the club has overcome in the past decade.

“You couldn’t have written the script any better, except for a premiership,” he said.

“When you think back to 2007 and we were in a lot of trouble, I think a lot of people got mixed up with the money that was at offer.

“People saying: “It’s 100 million dollars, why wouldn’t you take it?” - why we didn’t take it was because if we’d have moved to the Gold Coast, North Melbourne wouldn’t exist anymore.

“Although the money sounds tempting, when you look deeper into it we would have lost our culture and our identity really.”

The club legend defended the Kangaroos’ round one performance against Adelaide, and said the win against the Lions was a real reflection of where the team is at.

“There were a lot of knockers after round one, but one thing I try to not forget is how hard it is as a player,” Archer added.

“When we were in our premiership years we experienced days like the boys did round one.

“People don’t really understand when you are in the cauldron of Adelaide and they get a bit of run-on, the crowd gets behind them, their confidence goes through the roof and yours goes through the floor and everything you try falls to pieces.

“I can easily dismiss the game, it’s how you respond and they responded really well last week.”

Now, he can’t wait to be part of the Roos’ success in the future.

“I’ve been lucky enough to be part of premierships as a player and ever since I’ve retired I want to experience one as a supporter.

“I just see it as doing my little bit (being on the board) to hopefully help the club win another premiership.”

Thread title change pls mods, absolutely rapt that Arch is back at the club in an official capacity, working with coach and players sounds promising too.

Huge call I'm about to make here; probably my first on BF.

Glen Archer returning to NMFC in an official capacity, mentoring the boys and having Brad's ear will be the deciding factor in us winning a premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back