gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I guess you’re didn’t want to post any of his stats because they are pretty s**t.

Just a reminder, test average of 26

But hey, let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story.

No doubt gone down hill since. At the time after being pretty decent in India and getting dropped for a player who has a lower first class average that is lower was questionable. For what it's worth that player has also been "pretty s**t".

Would have still gone with Maxwell ahead of Mitch Marsh in the UAE.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
What about test averages?

Maxwell 26
S Marsh 36. Just food for thought

You mention Pakistan. Who’s to say maxwell wouldn’t have failed in Pakistan like he has in most places to average 26. And the next series is in Australia.... how did the Marsh’s go last summer in Australia?
Mitch averaged 107
Sean averaged 74....... oh but let’s drop them for Maxwell for this summer.....

Maxwell is a good short form player and plays the reverse sweep really well. But FFS people he’s not a test batsman’s boot lace. And I agree the Marsh’s have not performed either but FFs Maxwell is not the answer.

Test Averages hardly count when you have played stuff all tests. Not to mention one player has only played in the sub continent and the other player has played a lot of tests in Australia where it's clearly easier batting. What are the averages of both in the sub continent? I dare say things would be different if Maxwell had been given a few test series in Australia as Marsh has.

Ridiculous to compare raw stats and ignore the details.

So you want recent do you? Sean Marsh’s last 2 innings in Australia, 80 & 98.

Tell me about Maxwells technique and why he would be a good test player? Is it his premeditation of shots? What about his ‘nit’ soft hands? What about his ability to graft an innings against top quality bowling. What about his ability to run out team mates like the series just gone v Pakistan. Even his 40 odd versus Pakistan’s he was dropped 3 times.
This Victorian love affair for Maxwell as a test player is just so bloody hilarious. And I’ll repeat what I said, the Marsh’s have not performed as we’d all would have liked but they are a s**t load better than Maxwell for tests and they DID perform last summer versus the poms.
Where have I disagreed with any of that? You're cherry picking the 26 average without acknowledging that his more recent test form has indicated that he has improved.

You say he can't graft out an innings? How about making a ton whilst batting for over 4 hours in (from memory) was on average around the 32 or 33 degree heat and high humidity, in which Australia were 4/140 when he came to the crease, and 60 overs later when he left it they were 5/331? Against the likes of Ravi Ashwin (who had 82 wickets that summer at 25), Ravi Jadeja (71 at 23)? Last summer he had over 700 runs in the Shield and averaged over 50.

Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
Top of the pile looking down
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
Test Averages hardly count when you have played stuff all tests. Not to mention one player has only played in the sub continent and the other player has played a lot of tests in Australia where it's clearly easier batting. What are the averages of both in the sub continent? I dare say things would be different if Maxwell had been given a few test series in Australia as Marsh has.

Ridiculous to compare raw stats and ignore the details.

So sorry for looking at stats/facts sir. So which details do you think has earned Maxwell a test cap? His reverse sweep? Being a Victorian? What about naming him self ‘the big show’? Maybe his 1 test score over 45? Of that’s right he can bowl as well... so his 1st class bowling average of 45? Ahhhhhhhhh I know......his exciting 20 20 play....... that’s the detail, he has sooooooooo much 20 20 talent that kids love to watch he must surely be an Awsome test player.

And yet again to reiterate, The Marsh’s performances has not been what we’d all like but to drop them for Maxwell is such a joke.

Also how did Maxwell go yesterday when we desperately needed him to dig in and build an innings like in a test match.

Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
Where have I disagreed with any of that? You're cherry picking the 26 average without acknowledging that his more recent test form has indicated that he has improved.

You say he can't graft out an innings? How about making a ton whilst batting for over 4 hours in (from memory) was on average around the 32 or 33 degree heat and high humidity, in which Australia were 4/140 when he came to the crease, and 60 overs later when he left it they were 5/331? Against the likes of Ravi Ashwin (who had 82 wickets that summer at 25), Ravi Jadeja (71 at 23)? Last summer he had over 700 runs in the Shield and averaged over 50.

That’s 1 innings. Yes only 1 innings ever.

Did he graft out an innings yesterday, on what was similar to test wicket and test bowling, when Australia so so so desperately need him to? He came in with 34 overs to go and lasted 8 balls.... that’s not grafting.

That’s 1 innings. Yes only 1 innings ever.

Did he graft out an innings yesterday, on what was similar to test wicket and test bowling, when Australia so so so desperately need him to? He came in with 34 overs to go and lasted 8 balls.... that’s not grafting.
You asked, I answered. I didn't see yesterday's game. However, Maxwell averaged 67 deliveries faced in the Shield last season, and if you take out his first game (where he was poor), he averaged 75 deliveries per innings. Everything you quote I have an answer for.

Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
You asked, I answered. I didn't see yesterday's game. However, Maxwell averaged 67 deliveries faced in the Shield last season, and if you take out his first game (where he was poor), he averaged 75 deliveries per innings. Everything you quote I have an answer for.

Wow, 67..... wow

Shaun Marsh averaged 139 balls an innings in test matches last summer and if you take out his worst game he averaged 159 balls an innings.......
Your point?

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So sorry for looking at stats/facts sir. So which details do you think has earned Maxwell a test cap? His reverse sweep? Being a Victorian? What about naming him self ‘the big show’? Maybe his 1 test score over 45? Of that’s right he can bowl as well... so his 1st class bowling average of 45? Ahhhhhhhhh I know......his exciting 20 20 play....... that’s the detail, he has sooooooooo much 20 20 talent that kids love to watch he must surely be an Awsome test player.

And yet again to reiterate, The Marsh’s performances has not been what we’d all like but to drop them for Maxwell is such a joke.

Also how did Maxwell go yesterday when we desperately needed him to dig in and build an innings like in a test match.
Maxwell has earnt a test cap because his first class average of 41 is way better than Finch, Head and Labuschange. Labuschange and Head may become capable test cricketers but at this stage Maxwell is a better cricketer than both of them. He is a brilliant fieldsman and deserves some kind of run at it in the test side. Shaun Marsh is 35 years old and still struggling to cement his spot, it is time for Maxwell to be given an opportunity.

Wow, 67..... wow

Shaun Marsh averaged 139 balls an innings in test matches last summer and if you take out his worst game he averaged 159 balls an innings.......
Your point?
Where have I referenced Marsh at all? Your constant going back to him is embarrassing for you.

Can you acknowledge that given that he made runs in the Shield last season (with a higher average than Head, Labuschagne, Renshaw and Finch), turned down a county contract and wasn't allowed to play for Australia A due to CA wanting him to be "fresh" for the UAE tour, and averaged more than any of the available batsmen in Australia's last tour of India, that there's a small, outside, miniscule chance that he could be considered hard done by?

Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
Maxwell has earnt a test cap because his first class average of 41 is way better than Finch, Head and Labuschange. Labuschange and Head may become capable test cricketers but at this stage Maxwell is a better cricketer than both of them. He is a brilliant fieldsman and deserves some kind of run at it in the test side. Shaun Marsh is 35 years old and still struggling to cement his spot, it is time for Maxwell to be given an opportunity.

And drop who? The bloke who averaged 74 in tests last summer?

Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
Where have I referenced Marsh at all? Your constant going back to him is embarrassing for you.

Can you acknowledge that given that he made runs in the Shield last season (with a higher average than Head, Labuschagne, Renshaw and Finch), turned down a county contract and wasn't allowed to play for Australia A due to CA wanting him to be "fresh" for the UAE tour, and averaged more than any of the available batsmen in Australia's last tour of India, that there's a small, outside, miniscule chance that he could be considered hard done by?

So most victorians want Marsh dropped but you admit Marsh is bettter than Maxwell atm but you think maxwell deserves a chance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So most people want Marsh dropped but you admit Marsh is bettter than Maxwell atm butbyounthink maxwell deserves a chance?
I think Marsh goes down as an average test cricketer who was lucky he got born into an era of average Australian Test Cricket. If he were 10 years older he wouldn't be so lucky. Maxwell has done everything the selectors have asked him to do in regards to First Class cricket.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Because last summer in Australia he averaged over 100 and the next series is in Australia

Comes in when the series is over no pressure, great record!

Why not pick Hodgey? It’s been 13 years but if we are going on past records? Current form means nothing, every team needs a batsman averaging 5 in their top 6!

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Shaun Marsh averages 14 in his last 12 test innings, Spook. Not too many cricketers at age 35 have their best in front of them. Maxwell should certainly be picked ahead of Labuschange and S.Marsh.

But it’s all about how many they make on flat roads, then when they tour England next year they will point to those flat roads as why they should be picked in England, despite Mitch’s average of 12!

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think Marsh goes down as an average test cricketer who was lucky he got born into an era of average Australian Test Cricket. If he were 10 years older he wouldn't be so lucky. Maxwell has done everything the selectors have asked him to do in regards to First Class cricket.
It's funny that when Shane Watson was playing people said similar things about him (average cricketer in a weak era). Heaven help us if in five years there's the same drop in quality with our Test allrounder.

He didn't name himself the big show, Matthew Wade did, out of jealousy, and Maxy has suffered for it ever since.

He didn't go well yesterday, but as I recall, no one else did either, but hey, let's make him the scapegoat.

There's no one better in the field either.

Last edited:
He didn't name himself the big show, Matthew Wade did, out of jealousy, and Maxy has suffered for it ever since.

He didn't go well yesterday, but as I recall, no one else did either, but hey, let's make him the scapegoat.

There's no one better in the field either.
It wasn't from jealousy. They were good mates up until the whole "batting ahead of me" saga, was more of a joke.

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
It was interesting listening to Waugh & Hussey on air when he was at the crease. Not that the comments were outrageous, though you could hear the antipathy

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
[QUOTE="eth-dog, post: 58737609, member: 34819"turned down a county contract and wasn't allowed to play for Australia A due to CA wanting him to be "fresh" for the UAE tour[/QUOTE]
That's what pisses me off the most. If he wasn't a lock for the squad they should have been honest and given him every chance to earn a spot.

Even discounting his snubbing, I can't believe CA would stop any potential Australian batsman playing County Cricket a year before an Ashes tour.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Even discounting his snubbing, I can't believe CA would stop any potential Australian batsman playing County Cricket a year before an Ashes tour.

As is now being exposed, when it comes to Cricket Australia and their handling of pretty much anything it's an absolute circus and has been for a while. I don't like the attitudes of the current players but can't blame them for having such little respect for CA.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back