Glenn Maxwell and his future

So he's been snubbed again and the debate in the UAE thread is the better place to discuss that sort of thing. What I want to focus on here is what lies in his future? He's been treated like garbage by the Australian Selectors but still does everything they want him to do, whilst also making sacrifices (like turning down county contracts so he was rested for the UAE tour) so that he could play test cricket.

For me he should give Cricket Australia the bird and just go on the T20 circuit, lord knows he could make a squillion on that.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
They need to be straightforward and tell him if there are off field issues stopping him from getting picked as it's clear he was never a chance for this tour and was kept out of the a games just in case he did well and put the selectors in a bad spot.

If he has off field issues tell him to fix them, if he has issues that mean he is no chance to be picked in the tests from this point tell him and let him move on.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
I'm not a great fan of Maxwell as a long form cricketer but at this point he'd be well within his rights to just * it off and live the dream on the T20 circuit. I would say the only lure for him in regards to Australian cricket is the world cup

His recall was iffy, but he tonned up and should have retained his spot for a home series. Does everything asked in the shield season, turns down a country contract and is totally overlooked in place of Finch and Lubashagne (and to a lesser degree Head)...

I don't think he'd make it as a long term test cricketer, but he has more than earned the right to have a bit of a sustained run at it, particularly in light of the ball tampering suspensions. 10 to 12 tests - which would finally include some home tests - and if at the end it hasn't worked everyone can move and say we gave it a crack. If he does find his feet and becomes a good #5/#6 then even better for Australian cricket cause god knows we could do with some more batting quality.

Papers are stamped unfortunately. The fact is Maxwell has not been given enough opportunities at test level. You look at blokes like the March brothers, Watto et al who were all given plenty of matches despite being inconsistent/injured/rubbish. Why hasn't Maxwell had the same opportunities? To me simply because the head honchos who pick/influence the team don't like him or the way he behaves off the field.

Sadly i don't think we will see him fulfill his talent and ability in the test match game.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The Anti-Langer sentiment from the Vics is already annoying...

The fact he's been frozen out a couple of times indicates there's more going on than we're aware of.

I don't disagree that on merit alone he'd easily make the side, btw.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

The fact he's been frozen out a couple of times indicates there's more going on than we're aware of.

Agreed; Langer is one of three selectors and the other two have been around longer and snubbed Maxwell in the past. For all we know, Langer may have gone into bat for Maxwell and been overruled.

I'm no Big Show fan but I agree that he's done enough, the depth so poor, that he absolutely should have been given first run at it. Perhaps he is just a massive knob and no one wants to work with him. To which I'd say, toughen up and do what's best for the team.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Agree, this is what the third or fourth different CA coaching regime / selection panel that has had him on the outer?

God knows what it is but there must be something about him behind the scenes, because we're stretched to the point of picking the likes of Travis Head and Aaron Finch in a test squad. At times I think it's simply been a matter of having a more suitable option available (ie. in the Ashes last year), but it's happened too often now to be a total coincidence.

To be honest I've barely seen anything dislikable about him in interviews or even on field where his interaction with teammates looks pretty normal to me so don't know where it is coming from. Logical conclusion would be he's done something to piss off someone high up at CA early on who's remained through all the changes of on field regimes (Howard? Sutherland?), but even then I can't imagine Michael Clarke, Rod Marsh, Darren Lehmann, Mark Waugh, Trevor Hohns, Justin Langer, Steve Smith et al. letting outside influences like that affect the side they want on the park.

Last edited:

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He tried to transfer to NSW for more opportunity and development but his application was too late. Apparently that was looked on unfavourably. You know, because players don't move states :rolleyes:

That was Cricket Victoria wanting to keep him. And to be fair to them, they did end up being true to their presumed promise of playing him in the shield.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
He tried to transfer to NSW for more opportunity and development but his application was too late. Apparently that was looked on unfavourably. You know, because players don't move states :rolleyes:

Looked on unfavourably? Surely not by the selectors though and all at Cricket Australia.

Who knows what he's done wrong, couldn't blame him for chasing T20 coin if he can't get a crack by the end of the summer.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Cricket's a great game. The problem is, selectors have long memories, as well as their favourites, and sometimes lose sight of the fact that runs on the board should count for something. When I first began watching Maxwell, I couldn't see what the fuss was all about, and when he played that ill-fated reverse sweep batting 3 in a Test match, I have to admit I drew a line through the guy's name and hoped he never wore the baggy green again.

However, I've seen a player who has done whatever he could to earn his spot in the team, that Test 100 he made was full of self sacrifice and he won me over. Since then, for some reason it doesn't seem to matter what he does, it's just not good enough in the eyes of the selectors.

The team has been decimated in the middle order batting department due to the affairs in South Africa, and the selectors want us to believe Maxwell still doesn't deserve a spot? Bullshit.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Cricket's a great game. The problem is, selectors have long memories, as well as their favourites, and sometimes lose sight of the fact that runs on the board should count for something. When I first began watching Maxwell, I couldn't see what the fuss was all about, and when he played that ill-fated reverse sweep batting 3 in a Test match, I have to admit I drew a line through the guy's name and hoped he never wore the baggy green again.

However, I've seen a player who has done whatever he could to earn his spot in the team, that Test 100 he made was full of self sacrifice and he won me over. Since then, for some reason it doesn't seem to matter what he does, it's just not good enough in the eyes of the selectors.

The team has been decimated in the middle order batting department due to the affairs in South Africa, and the selectors want us to believe Maxwell still doesn't deserve a spot? Bullshit.
Good post however what shot are you referring to at the bolded?

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Good post however what shot are you referring to at the bolded?

I've tried so hard to blot it out of my memory that I can't remember who we were playing now. He walked in at number 3 facing a deficit of around 500. He hit the first ball for 4, then went for the dreaded reverse sweep the second ball and was LBW. Maybe someone else can pinpoint the match and circumstances.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I've tried so hard to blot it out of my memory that I can't remember who we were playing now. He walked in at number 3 facing a deficit of around 500. He hit the first ball for 4, then went for the dreaded reverse sweep the second ball and was LBW. Maybe someone else can pinpoint the match and circumstances.
Pakistan 2014 I reckon

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
I reckon you're talking about the 2nd test in the UAE v Pakistan in 2014 and I also reckon you are the 3rd person I have seen write that he got out reverse sweeping coming in at 3. He did come in at 3 and was LBW but it was just a normal shot he got out to. This is the description of the shot he got out to:

11.2 big lbw appeal, given not out, Pakistan have reviewed. It was the skidder that came in from outside off as Maxwell went back to punch. It cramped him and hit him on the back thigh, which is very close to the stumps... is it hitting or is it clearing the top of the stumps? It's struck him in front of middle stump and it's crashing into the top of leg. Australia are two down. 31/2

Last edited:

saint_larry

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wigan.
I reckon you're talking about the 2nd test in the UAE v Pakistan in 2014 and I also reckon you are the 3rd person I have seen write that he got out reverse sweeping coming in at 3. He did come in at 3 and was LBW but it was just a normal shot he got out to. This is the description of the shot he got out to:

Pretty sure he attampted a reverse sweep early in the innings, missed it by a foot. Happened to get out shortly after.

Back