Glenn Maxwell and his future

Remove this Banner Ad

It's also about the messages he receives. He rejects county contracts so that he's fresh for the A tour of India, where they don't play him because he's a likely starter for the UAE tour. From there he doesn't get selected in the UAE due to "not having enough red ball cricket in the winter" when he's rejected a County contract under CA instruction so that he would have red ball cricket behind him so he would be ready for the UAE tour. You're presenting half the facts and acting as if that's enough to justify him not being in the side.

This. He's by no means a saviour, never going to be Smith. I don't even know if he can be in our top 6 best batsmen. But it'd be nice if there wasn't such incredible disadvantages given to him with selection criteria. He's been screwed around more than if he just got a simple 'no'.

Based on his recent comments in the press I think it's possible Maxwell is going to go the Chris Gayle route and just cash in playing T20 the year around and give up on a Test career. Would be within his rights to do so at this point as well.:

Isn't he giving up IPL to play county cricket?

Isn't he giving up IPL to play county cricket?

Yep, he's basically backing himself to score county runs and force the selectors hand. Either by sheer weight of runs, or by scoring enough to make the Australia vs Australia A game and then outperforming enough of the others in that match to get selected.

Pretty sure he's not the only one who's basically trying to bypass the selection bias in that way though.

Next shield games are 23rd Feb which are after the 2 tests against Sri Lanka.What hope does these border line test players like Maxwell have to press for test selection.Surely each state should play 1 shield game in at least Dec/Jan or early February.Lets hope the 3 day practice match against Sri Lanka later this month will include some of these players.

Last edited:
I love the coy use of the words 'perhaps' and 'apparently'.

There's no doubt about it.

Since his 156 in this test last year, Marsh has scored 40, 33, 24, 1, 26, 0, 16, 7, 7, 0, 3, 4, 2, 60, 45, 5, 19, 44, 8.

19 innings.
10 scores below 10 (2 ducks) - over half his innings have been absolute failures
2 scores below 20 - also failures but dug in for a solid number of balls
6 scores between 21-49 (consider these a decent start)
1 score over 50

A top score of 60 in 19 innings with an average of 18, there'd be no 'perhaps' or 'apparently' if this was Maxwell.
That is all fair enough but that's not to start someone's career when they are trying to prove themselves capable at the level and secure a place. Maxwell has gone past 50 once in 14 attempts which is awful. Again I'm happy to give him another go but let's not continue this fantasy that he is the the most robbed man in the history of the game that's never been given an opportunity.

Last edited:
That is all fair enough but that's not to start someone's career when they are trying to prove themselves capable at the level and secure a place. Maxwell has gone past 50 once in 14 attempts which is awful. Again I'm happy to give him another go but let's not continue this fantasy that he is the the most robbed man in the history of the game that's never been given an opportunity.
To start his Test career Shaun Marsh averaged 27.36 in eleven innings and only passed 50 twice (in his first two innings which were against Sri Lanka, he then averaged 7.62 and got dropped). Sure Maxwell isn't Bradman, but Shaun Marsh really doesn't blow him out of the water.

ALTHOUGH, interestingly, as I thought it seems he was in the early part of his career a little unfairly maligned on account of succeeding overseas and failing at home, meaning the majority of Australians only ever saw him failing. His first five tests overseas he averaged a whopping 52.88, his first five at home he averaged 8.25. That defense has faded by now, but was valid at the beginning of his career.

Last edited:
To start his Test career Shaun Marsh averaged 27.36 in eleven innings and only passed 50 twice (in his first two innings which were against Sri Lanka, he then averaged 7.62 and got dropped). Sure Maxwell isn't Bradman, but Shaun Marsh really doesn't blow him out of the water.
lol so select 11 just before he scores big against SA away? No sorry 2 centuries and a 50 in the same start as Maxwell's is really showing more than 1.

Anyway I don't want to turn this in to a v Shaun thing now just pointing out the hypocrisy and hyperbole, I'd have had both in for the start of this series. Glenn is a lot better than what he showed and offers something in the 3 facets of the game, with the team weakened so much it was well worth having another look at him for sure.

lol so select 11 just before he scores big against SA away? No sorry 2 centuries and a 50 in the same start as Maxwell's is really showing more than 1.

Anyway I don't want to turn this in to a v Shaun thing now just pointing out the hypocrisy and hyperbole, I'd have had both in for the start of this series. Glenn is a lot better than what he showed and offers something in the 3 facets of the game, with the team weakened so much it was well worth having another look at him for sure.
If you're comparing to Maxwell sure, my point was that Marsh had a very dodgy start to his career, and you seemed to be implying that he didn't. He got dropped for two years before being recalled to play against SA, so I really don't think that it's arbitrary to isolate that from his first run in the side which was terrible.

If you're comparing to Maxwell sure, my point was that Marsh had a very dodgy start to his career, and you seemed to be implying that he didn't. He got dropped for two years before being recalled to play against SA, so I really don't think that it's arbitrary to isolate that from his first run in the side which was terrible.
Sorry I'm not saying that at all, what I'm saying that is Maxwell's has been even worse and he's treated as some sort of a victim of the evil selectors not giving him a chance.

After the:
  • Don't play county, rest for A
  • Not picked for A because we want you for Tests
  • Missed out on Tests because we like blokes performance in A
"miscommunication"* debacle, if I were Maxwell I'd just play what I want now. Play county? Yep. Cash in as a T20 barbarian? Why not. If you pick me in a Test squad I'll be there but otherwise I'm just gonna go play where I want.

* - I'm probably being a bit snidey putting this in quotes. I think it was genuine poor communication and thoughtlessness rather than a conspiracy. I doubt CA is competent enough at the moment to pull off a genuine conspiracy.

No surprises there. CA being the utter trash that they are, happy to ruin careers.

I would lol if Maxwell told CA to stick it up their arse and became a 20/20 global whore and earnt millions before he pulled the pin. I reckon we need him in the test side but they've ****ed him around big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I don't think Maxwell is a Test cricketer and not dissapointed he is not in the side. It is easy to talk up guys like Stonis and Maxwell when they didn't face the Indians.

It does seem like Cricket Australia has messed him around. I agree with the above comments, he should just play wherever and whatever format he likes. I don't think it matters with these selectors, they pick who they want and find a way to justify it one way or another.

Personally I don't think Maxwell is a Test cricketer and not dissapointed he is not in the side. It is easy to talk up guys like Stonis and Maxwell when they didn't face the Indians.

It does seem like Cricket Australia has messed him around. I agree with the above comments, he should just play wherever and whatever format he likes. I don't think it matters with these selectors, they pick who they want and find a way to justify it one way or another.

I think thats a valid sentiment. Most Maxwell supporters would acknowledge that he could have done more to be selected. The frustration comes from witnessing someone be deliberately screwed around with each justification becoming more abstract and absurd.

Maxwell has the second best shield average in the country ten games or more.

In his last block of 4 matches he averaged 37 outside of Australia, which is more than any of our batsmen could do this homw series.

His papers are clearly stamped. All he can hope for is the current selectors getting the chop, which after the last twelve months should happen.

Maxwell has the second best shield average in the country ten games or more.

In his last block of 4 matches he averaged 37 outside of Australia, which is more than any of our batsmen could do this homw series.

His papers are clearly stamped. All he can hope for is the current selectors getting the chop, which after the last twelve months should happen.
Not content with buying houses in the day for the same price you now pay for a medium sized car, boomers Chappell and Hohns seem hell bent on f***ing up cricket in this country before they shuffle off. They need to stop trying to impress their dads, it's not your fault you didn't fight WWII lads.

Perhaps Maxwell should pull the pin on ODI and T20Is after the WC - concentrate on trying to crack the test team while avoiding meaningless ODI and T20I series. Also play the T20 tournaments where possible.

Perhaps Maxwell should pull the pin on ODI and T20Is after the WC - concentrate on trying to crack the test team while avoiding meaningless ODI and T20I series. Also play the T20 tournaments where possible.
He should do the opposite. It's clear as day he'll never get another chance at test level, he should give CA the middle finger and play as a T20 "mercenary".

He would be certainly justified if he were to do that. Although lately he hasn't scored as many runs in the Shield as he probably hoped for with the limited opportunities, that doesn't seem to be a requirement for selection as much these days.

With the ODI series coming up, and the series against Pakistan in the UAE, will he have missed 6 Shield games this year? That's a lot to when you're wanting to play test cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back