Glenn Maxwell and his future

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
JL's recent comments show he's definitely warmed to Maxwell. He couldn't stand talking about him whenever his name came up a few months ago. I reckon apart from seeing him up close in some great knocks recently they've probably had a few conversations and bonded a bit.
So I reckon he'd be a good smoky for the Ashes now too.

I think its fantastic that JL is getting results from Maxwell.......harsh comments have been said by JL in regards to Maxwell but he is challenging him and atm its working

we all know how talented maxwell is.....we all just want him to show it more and be the best possible player he can be

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Maxwell is in the one-day team partially for his batting and also partially for his bowling. He doesn't "need runs" as much as other batsmen to justify his place in the team. Regardless of how many runs Khawaja, SMarsh and Warner (and to a lesser extent, Smith and Finch) score, they aren't directly competing with Maxwell for a spot in the team.

I'd say in the limited overs formats, his fielding is probably more valuable than his bowling.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
A great start by Maxi with Lancashire,still say he should be a certainty to be picked in the ashes squad.Huge talent lets give him the opportunity to play test cricket again.Just struggle to understand why this talented Australian cicketer has not been given the opportunity to play more test cricket.

Last edited:

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Because in the majority of instances a better option has been available (ie. the 2017/18 Ashes conspiracy).

I like Maxwell, but did laugh at this against the students in the warm up he scored 80 odd:

1554846699837.png

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Because in the majority of instances a better option has been available (ie. the 2017/18 Ashes conspiracy).

I like Maxwell, but did laugh at this against the students in the warm up he scored 80 odd:

View attachment 651553

Lucky he was 80 odd and not 0.lol.Still a lot of cricket to be played before the ashes squad is announced but he is on the right track so far.

Lucky he was 80 odd and not 0.lol.Still a lot of cricket to be played before the ashes squad is announced but he is on the right track so far.

You are optimistic I'll give you that. Very unlikely to be anything more than depth.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maxi has very hairy arms.. Just noticing and probably embarrassing the dude as well.. but he has a big heart and can bat as well..
so I am going to be shot to the nether regions for this.. Finch is going to crap on my head for this.. bugging out dude..

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
His 80 wasn't even div two, it was a warmup game against a university.

While it may be div two, Middlesex's bowling attack for this game is:

Tim Murtagh
Steven Finn
Toby Roland-Jones
James Harris

That's better than many shield bowling lineups. In any case Murtagh castled Maxwell for 1 in the first innings.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
He got a 5 for in County cricket, first time in a FC match he has done it, two failures with the bat though. Needs runs obviously but could be a sneaky number six all-rounder pick if a turner appears during the Ashes.

He got a 5 for in County cricket, first time in a FC match he has done it, two failures with the bat though. Needs runs obviously but could be a sneaky number six all-rounder pick if a turner appears during the Ashes.
He’d have played a lot more Tests if he bowled leggies or left arm.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
After the World Cup, a question needs to be asked of Maxy. I've been a supporter of his, but the truth is he didn't live up to expectations. He has so many upsides to his game, but the bottom line is he's not making runs and is letting the team down. Really not sure how much longer Australia can afford the luxury.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Best thing for Maxwell is to return home ASAP and have a good rest away from cricket.I think he has been overseas most of the time since February.Play in the early shield games and long innings is a must but I think T20 cricket (if selected) end of October might prevent him and others from playing some shield games.

Best thing for Maxwell is to return home ASAP and have a good rest away from cricket.I think he has been overseas most of the time since February.Play in the early shield games and long innings is a must but I think T20 cricket (if selected) end of October might prevent him and others from playing some shield games.

He shouldn’t be picked for 12 months.
Needs cricket away from the International scene.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle

He's never been Mr Consistency and so he's never been a regular matchwinner and for all the talk of his learning stuff, he still seems like the same Maxwell. I doubt anything is going to change now.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Needs to be playing in the T20 side as he is probably the key cog in our push to win the the 2020 T20 World Cup on home soil.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Where you last night Luke Parker,gone missing like Australia.I never noticed any of your posts,lol.I think the shorter version of the game is really stuffing Maxwell up (and others).Would love to see him just play the longer version of the game for at least 12 months and not even play 1 day or T20 for Australia.(might not get picked for T20 or 1 day any way)Oh gawd,I never realised we had a T20 World Cup coming up,perhaps make him captain.

Where you last night Luke Parker,gone missing like Australia.I never noticed any of your posts,lol.I think the shorter version of the game is really stuffing Maxwell up (and others).Would love to see him just play the longer version of the game for at least 12 months and not even play 1 day or T20 for Australia.(might not get picked for T20 or 1 day any way)Oh gawd,I never realised we had a T20 World Cup coming up,perhaps make him captain.

Went to sleep after the first 7-8 overs of our bowling. Knew we were losing- plus men’s Wimbledon semi is tonight

Back