Glenorchy back in the SFL

Remove this Banner Ad

So its official. Glenorchy FC has been accepted back into the SFL.

The future of the Glenorchy football club is safe. What will the other clubs do?

Why does it make them safe? The biggest problem is AFL Tasmania who demand complete control of all football. Take AFL, Government, sponsorship & finals money. Then demand the clubs destroy 1/3 of their playing & support base. All this & give the clubs sweet FA to survive. We need elections in footy just like the pollies have. The public could then have a say in this big mess created by the AFL bosses.Then footy might just survive this current administration & be safe for the future. Right now EVERY club is in danger of folding.

• Banned
The real problem, well one of the them is that the local media is so pathetically soft that AFL TAS know they can get away with anything.

On top of that backyard deals with almost every club are made and so everyone is made happy or at least positioned so that they don't dare question the establishment.

Finally mettings are held, things are agreed and then clubs or AFL TAS simply go do their own thing.

Its pathetic really and whilst we all carry on about AFL TAS this and AFL TAS that, the clubs should have a good hard think about revisiting the idea of having a Paul Lennon represent them on important issues.

Round and round in circles we go. I am getting dizzy.

The real problem, well one of the them is that the local media is so pathetically soft that AFL TAS know they can get away with anything.

On top of that backyard deals with almost every club are made and so everyone is made happy or at least positioned so that they don't dare question the establishment.

Finally mettings are held, things are agreed and then clubs or AFL TAS simply go do their own thing.

Its pathetic really and whilst we all carry on about AFL TAS this and AFL TAS that, the clubs should have a good hard think about revisiting the idea of having a Paul Lennon represent them on important issues.

Round and round in circles we go. I am getting dizzy.

I think the paper has been pretty good lately. The editorial on 'football & fruitloops' was great. Browny's Kellogg's breaky cereal comment was brilliant. That & Wadey's daily backpage rants have shown the public what they are really like, ARROGANT. If people are not happy with what was said about North Hobart Oval then maybe they should avoid going to Bellerive on sunday?
I think what Glenorchy has done makes sense. The TSL maybe should be for seniors only & play the younger lads in local comps, SFL, NTFA, NTFL.

For Glenorchy to go ahead and join the SFL i believe they know Claremont will fold at years end. There is no way Glenorchy will be able to field 120 players or whatever without some serious help.

For Glenorchy to go ahead and join the SFL i believe they know Claremont will fold at years end. There is no way Glenorchy will be able to field 120 players or whatever without some serious help.

I believe North, Lauderdale & Clarence would have nearly enough players. I think the problem is lack of support staff, trainers etc. Maybe the TSL should be seniors only???

Right now EVERY club is in danger of folding.
That's not bullshit either. As far as getting volunteers to help run the clubs, that's getting really difficult now.
We just can't get anyone to turn up to games, want to actually be involved with the clubs and or want to help out. It's a dreadful mess.
I know when we played Launceston we dragged in 340-something and I remember thinking how bad it was going to be when the reserves stop being involved with the club.

The reason why football is stuffed and attendances are appalling is because there's no money and no drawcard players to bring the crowds it's as simple as that.
TFL had a salary cap of $200,000 per club each season twenty years ago and the clubs were battling to keep good players back then with that much coin.
Look at just how much the cost of living has gone up since those days and we are trying to do it all now on $60,000 or $70,000 :confused:

Aint gonna bring anyone in. As admirable as the whole concept is.
The only hope of bringing back crowds of similar standing to the late 1980's and similar standard playing lists is a salary cap of around $1.5 to $2m per club, per annum - that includes for coaches.

I cannot see that happening.

That's not bullshit either. As far as getting volunteers to help run the clubs, that's getting really difficult now.
We just can't get anyone to turn up to games, want to actually be involved with the clubs and or want to help out. It's a dreadful mess.
I know when we played Launceston we dragged in 340-something and I remember thinking how bad it was going to be when the reserves stop being involved with the club.

The reason why football is stuffed and attendances are appalling is because there's no money and no drawcard players to bring the crowds it's as simple as that.
TFL had a salary cap of $200,000 per club each season twenty years ago and the clubs were battling to keep good players back then with that much coin.
Look at just how much the cost of living has gone up since those days and we are trying to do it all now on $60,000 or $70,000 :confused:

The only hope of bringing back crowds of similar standing to the late 1980's and similar standard playing lists is a salary cap of around $1.5 to $2m per club, per annum - that includes for coaches.

Agree that the game needs help. It would help if the clubs worked a bit better together. Trouble is that some clubs have been 'looked after' so they would follow the company line. The Lennon issue showed the stupid short term narrow minded approach of some clubs. While being divide the Argyle street mob have spent money on a massive bureaucratic structure that is crushing the volunteer based community focused clubs under it. (Comrades :D) It would be nice to think the AFL Tas board would see this but they are either blinded by BS or just plain stupid. The whole mess needs a review from outside & those on the inside should have to account for the Devils mess & current spending.

my opinion is afl tas should have 20-30k for each club, outside the salary cap, which it holds on to. then it just says to the clubs, go get yourself a high profile player/coach/assistant of some sort and we will pay them from this addition funding.

clubs cant then go under like they did years ago by spending too much, and maybe we can get some more profile names back in the league.

we cant compete with the sanfl, wafl and country vic clubs. russell robertson is a prime example. how much money would he be on playing for his bush side? a bucket load more he could get down here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Claremont are gonna be around in 2011 and beyond. In a very healthy position off the ground I am lead to believe.

Glenorchy meanwhile, if it meant they prospered would happily absorb every Claremont player and could not care less if their Northern Suburbs neighbour ceased to exist.

But you're spot on, where do they get enough for 5 full sides? They'll have 3 open age sides, TSL Seniors, SFL Seniors and Reserves - where are they gonna get these numbers from? Plus another Underage side to fill in the SFL.

Also, who other than family and friends are gonna go and watch the Glenorchy SFL sides when the TSL sides are playing on the same day? As Kingpin has mentioned before, finding enough volunteers for 2 different leagues and venues will be a nightmare!

And more importantly, what's going to go on with clash guernseys and the like?

Obviously Glenorchy have got their clash strip for games v Devonport, but will need 3 new sets if Claremont get a Colts side up - even more unlikely with Glenorchy now in the comp - and now Claremont will have to buy a new set of guernseys for one game (v Glenorchy at KGV) thanks to Wade killing off the TSL Reserves.

With either Glenorchy TSL or SFL playing home games at KGV every Saturday now, plus Junior football on a Sunday, Glenorchy will want to hope there's not a winter like 2009 or the ground will be ruined! Glenorchy Cricket Club won't be able to use the ground at all in 2011! Even a relatively dry winter like this year will stuff the ground, with 5 games in 8 days, not including Juniors as mentioned!

But you're spot on, where do they get enough for 5 full sides? They'll have 3 open age sides, TSL Seniors, SFL Seniors and Reserves - where are they gonna get these numbers from? Plus another Underage side to fill in the SFL.

The extra open age is going to come from other TSL sides if they lose they're reserves. Dont know about the rest but if they can't find another 22 platyers in the zone then somethings wrong. The GDJFC has got 2 teams from u9-10 and they will be trying to get higher retention rates.

Also, who other than family and friends are gonna go and watch the Glenorchy SFL sides when the TSL sides are playing on the same day? As Kingpin has mentioned before, finding enough volunteers for 2 different leagues and venues will be a nightmare!

Well I guess it would be a choice of who the teams are playing. For me for example if Glenorchy tsl sides were up north then I would most would go to the SFL. Also if Glenorchy SFL was playing New Norfolk especially at Boyer than I would make the trip up there loved the ground.

Volunteers I wouldn't know, and venue wise I would say the council will put some more $$$ into the ground for better drainage or whatever it needs.

Obviously Glenorchy have got their clash strip for games v Devonport, but will need 3 new sets if Claremont get a Colts side up - even more unlikely with Glenorchy now in the comp - and now Claremont will have to buy a new set of guernseys for one game (v Glenorchy at KGV) thanks to Wade killing off the TSL Reserves.

I think it would be better if Glenorchy just wear our clash everytime we play them. I mean we still have our colours and mascot but we arent going to make other clubs spend thousands of dollars on jumpers. Seeing as Glenochy is going to take alot of money and players from Claremont we should help keep the club afloat by doing little things like that.

More so saying if one is playing at KGV and the other is playing near by then I'm pretty most will go watch the TSL mob.

And be careful believing what you read on here, there ain't gonna be a mass exodus from Claremont to Glenorchy.

But I'll stand f'ing if Glenorchy don't target most if not all of Claremont's more promising youngsters.

More so saying if one is playing at KGV and the other is playing near by then I'm pretty most will go watch the TSL mob.

And be careful believing what you read on here, there ain't gonna be a mass exodus from Claremont to Glenorchy.

But I'll stand f'ing if Glenorchy don't target most if not all of Claremont's more promising youngsters.

The idea of the TSL is to give players the opportunity to play the best footy standard in the state. Each TSL club has a zone from which it wants to develop & draw from. If kids dont make it then they will go back to their original club. Why would Claremont players want to go to Glenorchy just to play SFL footy. It wouldnt make sense. Unless their is a problem at Claremont in the first place?

The extra open age is going to come from other TSL sides if they lose they're reserves. Dont know about the rest but if they can't find another 22 platyers in the zone then somethings wrong. The GDJFC has got 2 teams from u9-10 and they will be trying to get higher retention rates.

Well I guess it would be a choice of who the teams are playing. For me for example if Glenorchy tsl sides were up north then I would most would go to the SFL. Also if Glenorchy SFL was playing New Norfolk especially at Boyer than I would make the trip up there loved the ground.

Volunteers I wouldn't know, and venue wise I would say the council will put some more $$$ into the ground for better drainage or whatever it needs.

I think it would be better if Glenorchy just wear our clash everytime we play them. I mean we still have our colours and mascot but we arent going to make other clubs spend thousands of dollars on jumpers. Seeing as Glenochy is going to take alot of money and players from Claremont we should help keep the club afloat by doing little things like that.
after todays effort they should have a good look at themselves,
coach has quit before he was pushed. lucky to have enough players to continue in tsl let alone coming up with enough players to put three more teams in sfl. absolute rabble

after todays effort they should have a good look at themselves,
coach has quit before he was pushed. lucky to have enough players to continue in tsl let alone coming up with enough players to put three more teams in sfl. absolute rabble

Glenorchy very poor yesterday. Just could not believe the lack of intensity they showed. De Gooyer is a class act. Glad he is over his injuries. Without doubt one of the best in the state when he is up and about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back