Glute/Hip pain associated with leg weights.

Remove this Banner Ad

metcard99

Debutant
Sep 7, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hey guys was hoping maybe cptkirk or anyone else with any knowledge on the issue could possibly offer any advice. Basically suffered from pretty severe ITB friction syndrome a couple of years ago (required 6-8 weeks off footy and training, all the typical ITB stretches, rolling and exercises that physios/doctors generally prescribe, 2x cortizone injections and none of which helped... only relief was 4 months off footy and leg exercises over pre-season) which came out of nowhere as prior to that i had never had any type of injury. Only thing I did differently was that i started taking leg weights seriously at the gym.

Now for the past 8-10 weeks (aside from last 1 week which i've taken off) I have again started to hit legs 3x per fortnight and have gotten my squat up to 4x95kg (started at 4x70kg) and deadlift to 4x145kg (started at 90kg).
Leg routine would be 6 pyramid sets (start lower and work up to 4rep max for a couple of sets and then work back down) of squats and deadlifts, and then on one session add few sets of walking dumbell lunges & single-leg legpress, or on the other session add leg extensions and hammy curls (also calf raises on every session).
But in the last 1-2 weeks i've been getting pain in my upper buttocks on the outer side near the hips (pretty sure it's the gluteus medius?). But the pain is extremly sharp and occurs when i put weight onto my right side, especially at night/morning and at the gym randomly when i pick up different weights and unrack bars, and also when i pee which i've put down to subconciously squeezing your butt when pissing).
In terms of my form, I'm definetely not rounding my back when squatting/deadlifting but if anything may be sticking my butt out too far and possibly getting to horizontal on DL? After/during DL's can also feel a some pain in lower back but i put this down to being more muscle soreness as they were not use to this but now am not so sure.

But anyway without trying to waffle on too much was wondering if anyone else has experienced pain in their hip/outer-upper buttocks region that is sharp as a result of leg weights. And if this is common is the best therapy for it just rest? Really annoying becasue I was getting pretty motivated for my legs this pre-season but am now worried it will again lead to more ITB troubles as well as this hip/buttocks pain.

Very annoying that the only 2 times i've taken legs seriously they've stuffed me up! Cheers.

***Also - yes i know i should probably see a physio but private health insurance ran out last year and ideally would love to avoid one until the club physio returns for pre season

sounds like sciatica but could be anything in which case you'll need to go see someone or at the very least get some deep massage on the area then stretch it 5/day

Hey guys was hoping maybe cptkirk or anyone else with any knowledge on the issue could possibly offer any advice. Basically suffered from pretty severe ITB friction syndrome a couple of years ago (required 6-8 weeks off footy and training, all the typical ITB stretches, rolling and exercises that physios/doctors generally prescribe, 2x cortizone injections and none of which helped... only relief was 4 months off footy and leg exercises over pre-season) which came out of nowhere as prior to that i had never had any type of injury. Only thing I did differently was that i started taking leg weights seriously at the gym.

Now for the past 8-10 weeks (aside from last 1 week which i've taken off) I have again started to hit legs 3x per fortnight and have gotten my squat up to 4x95kg (started at 4x70kg) and deadlift to 4x145kg (started at 90kg).
Leg routine would be 6 pyramid sets (start lower and work up to 4rep max for a couple of sets and then work back down) of squats and deadlifts, and then on one session add few sets of walking dumbell lunges & single-leg legpress, or on the other session add leg extensions and hammy curls (also calf raises on every session).
But in the last 1-2 weeks i've been getting pain in my upper buttocks on the outer side near the hips (pretty sure it's the gluteus medius?). But the pain is extremly sharp and occurs when i put weight onto my right side, especially at night/morning and at the gym randomly when i pick up different weights and unrack bars, and also when i pee which i've put down to subconciously squeezing your butt when pissing).
In terms of my form, I'm definetely not rounding my back when squatting/deadlifting but if anything may be sticking my butt out too far and possibly getting to horizontal on DL? After/during DL's can also feel a some pain in lower back but i put this down to being more muscle soreness as they were not use to this but now am not so sure.

But anyway without trying to waffle on too much was wondering if anyone else has experienced pain in their hip/outer-upper buttocks region that is sharp as a result of leg weights. And if this is common is the best therapy for it just rest? Really annoying becasue I was getting pretty motivated for my legs this pre-season but am now worried it will again lead to more ITB troubles as well as this hip/buttocks pain.

Very annoying that the only 2 times i've taken legs seriously they've stuffed me up! Cheers.
You've obviously got some muscle imbalances and with itb syndrome 9/10 times the issue is a weak glute med causing your tfl and itb to be overactive and tight. This sounds like either a glute med or hamstring tendinopathy or referred lumbar spine pain. Is it near your ischial tuberosity (look it up)? I'd get onto some glute med strengthening and lay off stretching IF it's a tendon problem.

sounds like sciatica but could be anything in which case you'll need to go see someone or at the very least get some deep massage on the area then stretch it 5/day

Thanks for the input. Just had a read up on sciatica and does seem that the symptoms are quite similar with the only difference being that the pain is a little more towards the hip than the middle of the right glute. Have got a roller and now a hard baseball like ball to try to get some deep massage in. Also I think I remember seeing on your youtube channel a while ago some exercises for glute activation, so would doing these before any squat/deadlift exercises in the future be a good idea? And lastly, is it possible that the leg press, hammy curl machine and leg extensions at light weight would be fine to keep doing as they don't really incorporate much lower back work (cos I reckon pain is almost directly from the heavier squat/deadlift)? Cheers.

You've obviously got some muscle imbalances and with itb syndrome 9/10 times the issue is a weak glute med causing your tfl and itb to be overactive and tight. This sounds like either a glute med or hamstring tendinopathy or referred lumbar spine pain. Is it near your ischial tuberosity (look it up)? I'd get onto some glute med strengthening and lay off stretching IF it's a tendon problem.

Thanks for the reply. Yeh muscle imbalance in lower body is a definite I think. Body weight one legged squats I could begin with about 6-7 in my right leg and then could hardly balance myself for one on the left. In the end had a hand resting on something but still can get 3-4 more on right (but I try not to do this), but its the right rise which is the worry at the moment anyway (although when i had ITB syndrome it was much more predominant in my left... I'm right footed btw).
From what I've read I think it has more to do with the glute med than the hamstrings and theres no pain when sitting. Researched a little on the ischial tuberosity and its definitely not painful at that site ( its higher and more outer) so again thinking more glute med... So would this mean possible lay off stretching or would that have been the case had it been tendinopathy or ischial tuberosity? Cheers.

Thanks for the input. Just had a read up on sciatica and does seem that the symptoms are quite similar with the only difference being that the pain is a little more towards the hip than the middle of the right glute. Have got a roller and now a hard baseball like ball to try to get some deep massage in. Also I think I remember seeing on your youtube channel a while ago some exercises for glute activation, so would doing these before any squat/deadlift exercises in the future be a good idea? And lastly, is it possible that the leg press, hammy curl machine and leg extensions at light weight would be fine to keep doing as they don't really incorporate much lower back work (cos I reckon pain is almost directly from the heavier squat/deadlift)? Cheers.

the area isn't sciatic exactly so i just threw that out there, but sharp pain is similar with that...give it a roll and a stretch and see what shakes free...the glute activation tight tighten things up more but give it a shot and again see what shakes free...a weak glute med is a common finding with itb issues but i'd be hesitant to say for sure if that's the only and main problem you've got...you've deficnityl got soem stabiliser dysfunction going on though with the difference btw single leg squat reps for each side...here's an idea shoot some vids of your squats, deadlift, split squat and single leg squat from front, side and back and give us a look at what happens when you do them...no need to load up just a decent wt that will show us what's going on

Thanks for the reply. Yeh muscle imbalance in lower body is a definite I think. Body weight one legged squats I could begin with about 6-7 in my right leg and then could hardly balance myself for one on the left. In the end had a hand resting on something but still can get 3-4 more on right (but I try not to do this), but its the right rise which is the worry at the moment anyway (although when i had ITB syndrome it was much more predominant in my left... I'm right footed btw).
From what I've read I think it has more to do with the glute med than the hamstrings and theres no pain when sitting. Researched a little on the ischial tuberosity and its definitely not painful at that site ( its higher and more outer) so again thinking more glute med... So would this mean possible lay off stretching or would that have been the case had it been tendinopathy or ischial tuberosity? Cheers.
Okay well it sounds like you definitely have a weak glute med and almost a trendelenburg with the inability to stand on one leg without losing balance. So it could be a number of things such as sciatic pain, glute med tendinopathy, Piriformis syndrome etc etc. but the cause sounds like a weak glute med. I wouldn't b e pushing stretches as that causes compression of the tendon over the greater tuberosity. Get going with gluteus med activation with clamshells, side lie hip abd and crab walks.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you need to see a health professional! With chronic pain there’s always a risk it could be something severe so please see one soon!
In the meantime, have you tried using a foam roller on your quads, hamstrings and glutes, starting gently and for 30 secs each muscle then increasing gradually the force and the time on the roller?

It may also really help to wear good quality compression gear especially a brand that offers proper core and lower support. Maybe have a look at Supacore, a new Aussie brand that AFL clubs have started using.