Traded EGM, Football Josh Mahoney - Footy Operations boss at the AFL - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to get excited about.

With Brasher flagging X would be less involved in footy I had started to imagine a really senior appointment here. Mahoney doesn’t have that sort of gravitas.

The mind starts to wander and think about the political machinations of such an appointment, hope I’m being overly cynical.

With Brasher flagging X would be less involved in footy I had started to imagine a really senior appointment here. Mahoney doesn’t have that sort of gravitas.

The mind starts to wander and think about the political machinations of such an appointment, hope I’m being overly cynical.
You are.

He doesn't have the gravitas of a Simon Lloyd or Neil Balme but he's been involved in Footy operations a long time and held the position at Melbourne for quite a few years.

He's a boring, safe choice that isn't "bad" but isn't overly inspiring either. Maybe that's what we need.

It's quite obvious we never really had a plan for replacing Richardson. They must have seen some sh*t they really didn't like to just move him on.

In fairness when his contract came to an end it was at an unusual point of the season because of the delays this year. In a normal year it would have been 4 weeks after the GF when his contract ended and all the crap that went down would have been happening in September and not October. This year his contract was due to end and the s**t had just happened.

You are.

He doesn't have the gravitas of a Simon Lloyd or Neil Balme but he's been involved in Footy operations a long time and held the position at Melbourne for quite a few years.

He's a boring, safe choice that isn't "bad" but isn't overly inspiring either. Maybe that's what we need.
i am hoping he gets some rope to perform as well
He gets deals done

They wanted Oliver, he got them into a position to get him
Hibberd & Melks. Simple deals.

I am hoping he takes over the trade negotiations.

Is anyone surprised though? The clubs been going around in circles since for close to twenty years.

Looks like we just handed him the job, nice cushy salary aswell would be on a lot more than what melbourne offer. XC trying to burn the club to the ground.

At least he will be able to advise us what not to do.

i am hoping he gets some rope to perform as well
He gets deals done

They wanted Oliver, he got them into a position to get him
Hibberd & Melks. Simple deals.

I am hoping he takes over the trade negotiations.
He had very little involvement in that stuff. He's a Footy Operations manager, not a list manager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had very little involvement in that stuff. He's a Footy Operations manager, not a list manager.
Fairly sure Mahoney does a lot of the list management stuff under his role.
Seems to be the one at the table while Taylor does the scouting/recruiting.

Edit: https://www.afl.com.au/news/523584/dees-off-field-shake-up-after-extensive-review
retained list strategy under the new role a month back

Pert confirms it too

Fairly sure Mahoney does a lot of the list management stuff under his role.
Seems to be the one at the table while Taylor does the scouting/recruiting.
He doesn't.

He was in charge of list management strategy.

Seems like he does/did.
He was the head of the football department so he oversaw everything, so in that regard, yeah.

I guess at least Mahoney didn’t preside over a supplements saga....

Wait when did he take over as GM?
Right around when they appointed Roos.

Who would “excite” you..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back