Traded EGM, Football Josh Mahoney - Footy Operations boss at the AFL - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Because the Cats football department just hums along, he's a proven relationship builder with strong personalities, has broad experience across multiple football department functions and has worked with multiple teams.

Cats football department has been humming along for over 10 years. How exactly can we put it down to one person who has been there for half of that..? Just another piece to the puzzle and no one has any idea if Mahoney will/won’t be ours...

I really can’t decide what I think about this.

Uninspiring? Unassuming? Somewhere in between?

He doesn’t seem like a forceful personality...
yes man for XC (i.e. bad thing), or supportive of Rutten without micromanaging (i.e. good thing)?

He’s experienced at least. There are worse things. Think they overdid the glowing welcome email a bit nonetheless.

I think part of the problem is that we’re used to having every sort of talking head commenting on it for weeks in advance, Tim Watson, Matthew Lloyd giving opinions, ex-players being interviewed and giving random opinions. By the time it’s announced we’re either over the moon or just plain over it.

Cats football department has been humming along for over 10 years. How exactly can we put it down to one person who has been there for half of that..? Just another piece to the puzzle and no one has any idea if Mahoney will/won’t be ours...
But that also means five years of exposure to an ecosystem that works.....as opposed to 10 years spent in one that doesn’t.

You are right - Lloyd isn’t solely the reason the Cats are what they are and Mahoney the same as regards the Demons. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be underwhelmed by the appointment.

I think he’s not a bad pick up to be honest. He did a decent job at Melbourne IMO. Gets deals done to. 13 years at one club probably long enough especially if we haven’t been getting the on field results. That’s not down to him though. Apparently he was a strong candidate for CEO when Pert got it. He pretty much got replaced by Richardson so probably decided to move on. He’s not Balme but I think he’s still a good choice.

He wore a helmet for a while so he might have more working brain cells than your average ex footballer.

Miss the days when I wouldn't have a clue who occupied these positions but could tell you how many disposals Misiti had three weeks ago.
Simpler times.

At the end of the day a GM doesn’t kick the goals, lay the tackles or has a presence on the footy field. I wish Josh all the best, but what disappoints me is where is the ruthlessness gone in this club. Was Josh the absolute best candidate out there. Where is the ten year vision like the tigers had, where has the edge gone where opposition supporters hate us for what we are doing on and off the field? Why aren’t we chasing the best to become the best, I feel the drug saga has made us become a yes club, we don’t fight hard enough to become that arrogant club! We need strong leadership off the field to translate to on field success. The big test comes on draft night, we virtually have one chance to get this club right, I hope we have done our homework and we get three ripping kids in the draft, or if we don’t we will be looking at another 20 years of being in the wilderness.

Really came into his own under Peter Jackson as CEO, and if rumours are to be believed, was Jackson's choice as his successor. Was always going to move on once Pert came in as he'd gone as far as he could. Most of us know nothing of the inner workings of a club (me included), but he seems to have been respected and competent at the Dees, but not averse to getting his hands dirty if required. e.g., he was the fall guy for getting rid of Watts and Hogan (amongst others) for which he copped a lot of flack at the time. If there's any knock on him it would be that he's been there too long. Good luck to him.

I know two people who have worked with him and both are full of praise. I'm happy to give him a shot. Definitely happier with Mahoney than Auld.

I know two people who have worked with him and both are full of praise. I'm happy to give him a shot. Definitely happier with Mahoney than Auld.

Well I know people too at Melbourne who can’t stand the guy and are glad/happy/wrapt/thrilled to see him out the door.

I also know someone that has worked with him (not as an MFC employee) and their comment was "I've met him a couple of times and he seems like a nice guy."

So far, so good.

Auld seemed like a dud choice, I'm glad we didn't go that path.

Lloyd out of Geelong would have been my first choice based on what little we know, has extensive experience and by all accounts is a very good operator.

Mahoney seems like a fairly safe appointment, in some ways no news is good news when it comes to a GM. Doesn't seem like he's done anything egregious, and Goodwin's coaching aside, Melbourne as an organisation has been pretty well run since Peter Jackson got involved (similar time to when Mahoney stepped in to the GM role).

Well I know people too at Melbourne who can’t stand the guy and are glad/happy/wrapt/thrilled to see him out the door.
How many people in management are universally liked though? He was far from an unpopular figure there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really came into his own under Peter Jackson as CEO, and if rumours are to be believed, was Jackson's choice as his successor. Was always going to move on once Pert came in as he'd gone as far as he could. Most of us know nothing of the inner workings of a club (me included), but he seems to have been respected and competent at the Dees, but not averse to getting his hands dirty if required. e.g., he was the fall guy for getting rid of Watts and Hogan (amongst others) for which he copped a lot of flack at the time. If there's any knock on him it would be that he's been there too long. Good luck to him.
**** i miss Jackson.

How many people in management are universally liked though? He was far from an unpopular figure there.

Depends on how they respect and treat their subordinates. He was unpopular with people who are highly respected with strong core values.

Depends on how they respect and treat their subordinates. He was unpopular with people who are highly respected with strong core values.
I can say that is categorically false. He's unliked by a couple of your mates.

He’s just a very good manager according to those who’ve worked with him.

Everyone’s worked with really good managers. They bring in the right people and get rid of the bad, they motivate, people want to work for them, they encourage ownership and innovation, they get rid of pointless crap... I could go on, but people get it.

The “amazing” thing is just because it’s footy. Everything is stupidly exclaimed and overblown.

That's just a list of what is essentially buzz words.

I have no idea how empowering people and allowing them to innovate works unless the right people are already in place.

We've empowered our leaders for years now, for example. That was Worsfold's mantra and the failure to identify the flaws in these individuals that made them unfit for that empowerment set us back a number of years.

The starting point needs to be to set the place up for all of that to work. Given that Balme came to Richmond at 11:57pm before their run started I fail to see how any of it applies to him in his current role.

Last edited:
This can go on all day, but he’s unliked for good reasons.
It could. After all, who had a known source inside the club for most of his tenure as GM of Football there?

Your mates don't like him and that's fine, but he wasn't unpopular.

It could. After all, who had a known source inside the club for most of his tenure as GM of Football there?

Your mates don't like him and that's fine, but he wasn't unpopular.

Like I said there are good reasons why he was unliked, and yes he was unpopular the last six or so months.

Like I said there are good reasons why he was unliked, and yes he was unpopular the last six or so months.
Forget the popularity contest.....10 years as Footy Manager and GM- Footy Ops for 1 finals appearance and 3 finishes above 10th.

It's not everything but its something.

I have no idea how empowering people and allowing them to innovate works unless the right people are already in place.

We've empowered our leaders for years now, for example. That was Worsfold's mantra and the failure to identify the flaws in these individuals that made them unfit for that empowerment set us back a number of years.

The starting point needs to be to set the place up for all of that to work. Given the Balme came to Richmond at 11:57pm before their run started I fail to see how any of it applies to him in his current role.

I think his reputation is more due to what he did before getting to Richmond.

Forget the popularity contest.....10 years as Footy Manager and GM- Footy Ops for 1 finals appearance and 3 finishes above 10th.

It's not everything but its something.
for some context, that was a Melbourne Prelim appearance too
they were a lot further back with less at their disposal to fix it then than we are now

The starting point needs to be to set the place up for all of that to work. Given the Balme came to Richmond at 11:57pm before their run started I fail to see how any of it applies to him in his current role.

What if he lays the foundation pieces that enable others to reach their full potential?

A colleague and I used to play buzz word bingo whenever one of our managers started speaking. It's amazing how little can sometimes be said despite lots of words being used.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back