Traded EGM, Football Josh Mahoney - Footy Operations boss at the AFL - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe I think we need an experienced non in side person
She is that, but I think I'd prefer someone who has been inside an AFL footy department and isn't from Essendon, if at all possible.

She is that, but I think I'd prefer someone who has been inside an AFL footy department and isn't from Essendon, if at all possible.
The football general manager, also known as the GM, is the person responsible for the players contracts. He handles many of legal responsibilities between players and their team contracts. The general manager also hires the head coach and other members of the coaching staff. He is also capable of doing any firing.

So looks like it's pretty bloody important to nail this job

The football general manager, also known as the GM, is the person responsible for the players contracts. He handles many of legal responsibilities between players and their team contracts. The general manager also hires the head coach and other members of the coaching staff. He is also capable of doing any firing.

So looks like it's pretty bloody important to nail this job
Idk where you got that from but the job description varies from club to club.

This is the ad for the job that Richardson eventually got in 2017: https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Essendon/Club HQ/GM Football_2017.pdf

It does say that he had overall management of the budget including TPP and the list management and recruiting, but Dodoro was promoted in 2018 (after this job was advertised and filled) so I'm guessing that might have changed in the interim as otherwise what the hell is Dodoro's job? He is generally responsible for players' contracts at Essendon.

As for the hiring and firing of the senior coach, that is a decision that involves the board and the CEO at Essendon, not just the GM-Football (which can also be split into two different roles).

About the Role
Reporting to the CEO, the General Manager – Football is responsible for providing executive leadership and management of both the men’s and women’s football programs and performance. The role is also a member of the Club’s Executive team and will be a strong role model and ambassador for the Club’s brand, strategic direction and achievement of our strategic objectives.

In this role, you will develop and drive the Club’s football philosophy, framework and systems to achieve consistent top 4 performance across the following areas:
  • High Performance Culture & Leadership
  • Football Development & Performance:
    • Strategic list management & recruiting
    • Football skills acquisition and development
    • Game style strategy & coaching
    • Player wellbeing & welfare
    • Teaching & learning practices
    • Physical Performance
    • Staff development & performance
    • Analytics, insights & innovation
  • AFL, VFLM & VFLW Operations & Compliance Management
  • Management and development of elite training facilities
  • Overall management of the Club’s football investment and budget (including Total Player Payments)
  • Internal and external stakeholder engagement
What We’re Looking For
To be considered for the role, candidates will have the following essential skills and experience:
  • Extensive general management level experience, preferably of a high performance elite sporting team, but at least in an appropriate industry, with a satisfactory level of AFL or elite sport involvement
  • Strong people manager who is passionate about building and maintaining high quality connections, strong engagement and can inspire teams to work as one in pursuit of achieving their shared vision
  • Proven ability to ensure existence of, and adherence to, appropriate elite sports governance requirements, reporting and responsibility structures
  • Ability to make decisions under pressure, work within tight time constraints, and work a wide array of hours within a varying time schedule to suit the seasonal priorities of the football season
  • Ability to build relationships at all levels, create alignment and foster collaboration across and within teams
  • Confident presenter who is comfortable in front of the media, thinking on their feet and engaging with a wide range of stakeholders
  • High level of resilience and strong ability to manage self and lead others in and under extreme pressure
  • Capability to manage and direct the balance between commercial demands, budgetary limits, investment requirements, and high performance sport demands on the playing group and delivering the Football Department vision
  • Track record of having a growth mindset who embraces and inspires continued learning and development

I can't find a job description for the position that's vacant this year, it's not on the club website or among the many PDFs in the AFL website's resource folders that I can see.

If you're curious, this is an AFLW senior coach role that I just found: https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Fremantle/Files/Position Description AFLW Head Coach.pdf

I assume the senior coaches in the AFL aren't a lot different in their responsibilities, though the scale, the pay, the facilities and the amount of support is probably fairly different.

what the hell is Dodoro's job?

wormtongue.jpg

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Idk where you got that from but the job description varies from club to club.

This is the ad for the job that Richardson eventually got in 2017: https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Essendon/Club HQ/GM Football_2017.pdf

It does say that he had overall management of the budget including TPP and the list management and recruiting, but Dodoro was promoted in 2018 (after this job was advertised and filled) so I'm guessing that might have changed in the interim as otherwise what the hell is Dodoro's job? He is generally responsible for players' contracts at Essendon.

As for the hiring and firing of the senior coach, that is a decision that involves the board and the CEO at Essendon, not just the GM-Football (which can also be split into two different roles).

I can't find a job description for the position that's vacant this year, it's not on the club website or among the many PDFs in the AFL website's resource folders that I can see.

If you're curious, this is an AFLW senior coach role that I just found: https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Fremantle/Files/Position Description AFLW Head Coach.pdf

I assume the senior coaches in the AFL aren't a lot different in their responsibilities, though the scale, the pay, the facilities and the amount of support is probably fairly different.
Reading the list of roles and responsibilities, and driving and developing a culture of high performance is at the top of the list. I've heard Rutten mention driving high performance a couple of times now already. One wonders if this issue was one of the bugbears re Richardson. The mismatch of coaching styles that resulted in an ineffective ciaching transition obviously a defining issue as well. I reckon Brasher would say he compromised the brand.

It's quite obvious we never really had a plan for replacing Richardson. They must have seen some sh*t they really didn't like to just move him on.
Maybe Sheeds will run the department as a volunteer (since we're not allowed to pay him while he's on the board)....

Dear god no
No worse choice in clubland than Josh Mahoney. The guy isn't respected at Melbourne, made some horrific calls the last 12 months to move some people on and has burnt bridges with some really high respected professionals. He'd be keen to jump ship, and I am getting really bloody nervous now. Don't forget the public calling for volunteers to replace personnel he terminated - real kick in the guts for them.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
This club is in shambles, if youre going to fire someone make sure you have potential candidates that will be better. Mahony is a shocker, what has he achieved at melbourne and hes been there for over 10 years. XC needs to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
No worse choice in clubland than Josh Mahoney. The guy isn't respected at Melbourne, made some horrific calls the last 12 months to move some people on and has burnt bridges with some really high respected professionals. He'd be keen to jump ship, and I am getting really bloody nervous now. Don't forget the public calling for volunteers to replace personnel he terminated - real kick in the guts for them.

He was that guy? Yeah, hard pass.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I have this terrible feeling that XC is just head hunting for a 'yes man' that will allow him and Dodoro to have their way in the football department.

It sounded like Brasher was keen for XC to not have as much of a say in footy department matters so i fear XC might use this hire to circumvent that

Get ****ed. I have no faith in this process.

Former Carlton and Adelaide chief executive Steven Trigg has knocked back an approach to enter the race for Essendon’s vacant football operations position.

The Bombers continue to sort through candidates to replace sacked footy chief Dan Richardson, who has landed a new job as head of the AFL’s umpiring department.

From the same article

The Herald Sun understands Melbourne’s Josh Mahoney and Geelong administrator Brett Johnson also discussed the role with the Bombers.

Mahoney has been moved sideways at Melbourne with the club splitting its football role and handing key responsibilities to Alan Richardson.

Emerging talent Johnson worked at the AFLPA before moving to Geelong as their performance and development manager.

He is seen to have a bright future, but despite an interview at Essendon has been told he will not win the role.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Get f’ed. I have no faith in this process.

From the same article

hmmm so no one wants to join us, the guys that we interview that seems to have a bright future, as per that report, is told he wont win the job? boy he Must've sucked in that interview to be told NO when no on else wants it.

Like Grizz fears this has yellow Canary all over it.

Surely we want a mentor for Rutten like Balme for Hardwick, Like Barry Richardson was for Bomber etc

Not like Corcoran for Hird.

Comes across as a nothing apointment dismissed from another club as we take him.

Maybe I'm missing something but...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back