Traded EGM, Football Josh Mahoney - Footy Operations boss at the AFL - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross Lyon in?
I think he would be one of the better choices... but could you imagine the EFC fan uproar if Ross stood up and pointed to Sheeds and said "you're no good".

Non Essendon people making decisions on Essendon people has lost their jobs over the last 15 years. The old firm just doesn't take well to it.

Dodo and Richo, just 1 case in point.

Sorry man, I am link free.

As for process, just let me trust the club dammit:p
The issue to my eyes Runk is the same people who initiated the process to remove Richardson are the people who initiated the process to hire him

Work out what we need (in detail and with the leadership team and coaches), approach those people in the industry, while also opening up to EOIs. You never know what you might get.

can we just name Dodo our new Gm already.

Balme’s a hell of a driver than since Richo’s cars weren’t performjng
That is easy to say but the simple fact is they where on the verge having won 15 games in 2013 , 12 games in 2014 and 15 games in 2015.
They had a stumble in 2016 but that was more a coaching issue rather than a footy manager issue.
Richardson did the trades at the end of 2016 to bring in Nankervis , Caddy and Prestia. He let Vickery go as a RFA and traded out Delideo for a 1st and 3rd round pick.
Now I am not saying Richardson is a better operator than Balme. He obviously is not but Balme did not have to make any moves. The 2017 Richmond side / list was set. The coach had already decided to change his philosophy on how he coached and they had already adjusted what they where doing game plan wise mid season in 2016. Richardson deserves most of the credit for building Richmonds list leading into 2017.
Balme being the top operator he is has simply managed to keep things ticking along since.

The car Dan Richardson built at Essendon

1*Y3ZibsBlrVfWspy9HLANPQ.jpeg
I would say more like this one...
Hummer-H1-2025-44.jpg

Hardwicke just had to learn how best to steer it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not the silliest idea. But it's also pretty WTF lol.

On the other hand, he'd probably fit in okay with at least one member of the old boys club.

He is a smart operator who got screwed at the Blues by Cain Liddle.

Screwed maybe, but it was totally untenable. You can’t be list manager and have 2-3 of your kids on the list.
From the interview he did not deny they would have to part ways but he says Liddle pretty much lied about the reasons o the public and accused him of being low enough to sabotage their draft. Pretty sure SOS left the drafting of his kids to the head of recruiting.

AFL 2020: Essendon Bombers part way with head of football Dan Richardson
Former North Melbourne coach Brad Scott is one of Essendon’s top targets to replace axed football boss Dan Richardson.
Scott, 44, became Head of AFL Victoria in August as part of the league’s major cost-cutting restructure, shifting from Steve Hocking’s football operations team.

The Bombers yesterday said they were seeking “an experienced and senior replacement for this critical football leadership role”.

Scott’s no-nonsense approach – he coached the Kangaroos for 10 seasons before departing Arden Street last May - appeals to the Dons, who will cast the net wide for what they see as a crucial appointment in reversing the club’s flagging fortunes.

Richardson is the first victim in a sweeping review implemented by new president Paul Brasher.

The former TLA player agent joined Essendon after a stint as football boss at Richmond.

He was one of several Tigers figures poached by the Bombers, which also included new senior coach Ben Rutten and senior assistant Blake Caracella.

The Bombers, who have not won a final since 2004, endured another disastrous on-field season and it continued off it with three star players – Joe Daniher, Orazio Fantasia, Adam Saad – walking out on the club.

The club said on Wednesday it would undergo a “targeted and thorough search” for Richardson’s replacement.

“The decision to not offer Dan a new contract was made following ongoing discussions about football performance and the future direction of our football program, and we believe now is the right time to make this change in leadership,” Campbell said.

“The football department requires an experienced leader to oversee the next critical stage of our football program’s growth and provide important support to Ben Rutten, who we have great confidence in as our senior coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back