Traded EGM, Football Josh Mahoney - Footy Operations boss at the AFL - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

tenor.gif

Right now only Brasher was on the board in 2012 when the saga was in swing. It was his second year and he was actually the one who smelt a rat as far as Dank and his unlimited funds go. All the other directors have only come on board between 2015 and 2019 until Sheedy this year.

Poor choice of words on my part.

I'm only concerned with the cluster * from 2016.

HS saying we’re looking at Brad Scott as the replacement.

Scott has kept North Melbourne relevant and essentially in Victoria with a budget and a resource pool that consists of a sack of potatoes and a warm look in the eye, and has a year of outside experience working with the AFL in an off field role.

Great candidate in my eyes, he’s a straight prick.

Scott’s no-nonsense approach – he coached the Kangaroos for 10 seasons before departing Arden Street last May - appeals to the Dons, who will cast the net wide for what they see as a crucial appointment in reversing the club’s flagging fortunes.
Call me crazy, but I think it might be prudent to have more that just the 1 criterion?

Scott is interesting.

Wrung 2 prelims out of a list that was barely top 8 for talent.

I understand he was part of a very under resourced footy department at North.

Loved by his players and he was loyal to them to a fault. Built sides on honesty, work rate, discipline, etc.

He's far from the worst option to oversee our footy dep.

Last edited:
Scott has kept North Melbourne relevant and essentially in Victoria with a budget and a resource pool that consists of a sack of potatoes and a warm look in the eye, and has a year of outside experience working with the AFL in an off field role.

Great candidate in my eyes, he’s a straight prick.
Yeah I'm ok with it, as long as he is just a candidate along with many other good candidates put through a proper process...

Well s**t, let's pretend we will do a proper process. If he came out on top at the end, all good.

Yeah you'll love that when you're screaming for changes each week. Ask the norf supporters how that went.

All the stuff you list has absolutely nothing to do with being a good administrator does it?
TBF, they probably wouldn't hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard Scott is a really good bloke (which surprised me) but not sure 10 years at North screams innovation and high performance. Maybe even more coaching support for Rutten is a reason he would be in pole position?

On the flip side of that - this could be a challenging development for Rutten given Richardson was surely a strong supporter of his appointment as senior coach.

I've heard Scott is a really good bloke (which surprised me) but not sure 10 years at North screams innovation and high performance. Maybe even more coaching support for Rutten is a reason he would be in pole position?

On the flip side of that - this could be a challenging development for Rutten given Richardson was surely a strong supporter of his appointment as senior coach.
Balme is considered the best football GM going around and he was hardly a raging success as a coach.

Scott landed a plum AFL job and despite what people say about them they rarely hire duds.

Thought Brad Scott was a decent coach, seemed to get a lot from a limited list and his teams always seemed hard to beat. I see him as more qualified than Richardson

Brad Scott could be great in the role, fresh out of the coaching game, vast football background.

I just hope he continues the apparent recent culture/attitude shift that RoCo alluded to in his article. I'd imagine he would.

Have to query any process which has resulted in the discussion about one of the people we are targeting within hours of sacking the incumbent.

I hope that information has not come from Essendon.

Have to query any process which has resulted in the discussion about one of the people we are targeting.

I hope that information has not come from Essendon.
Scott works at the AFL so could be coming from that side. Wouldn’t be unheard of....

But you’re right, things seem a tad leaky right now.

Balme is considered the best football GM going around and he was hardly a raging success as a coach.

Scott landed a plum AFL job and despite what people say about them they rarely hire duds.
As I've mentioned I've heard he's a good bloke to be around/work with as well which does help in most roles. This and he clearly has a lot of AFL coaching experience.

My concern would be fit in terms of what we actually need to improve as a club to be the best. From what I've heard he isn't necessarily the most innovative thinker. If this is the case then it's a separate issue to considering his background as a coach or the Kangaroos or them overall as a high performance AFL environment. My concern is that i have also heard the same things about certain key football areas at Essendon that may need improvement/modernisation - and that we may be better with a very progressive person in this role.

My other concern is our recruiting process. Who will be making the decision to bring him in and why, Are we actually doing a full search and considering all suitable candidates, or is it more retrofit Essendon already knows best solutions? The same concerns many have had about coaching appointments at the club.

Just out of interest I dug out the last Essendon position description for the job (2017 and may have changed of course) There's a fair bit in it that requires innovation and analytics. The key questions i would have here are in these areas.

About the Role
Reporting to the CEO, the General Manager – Football is responsible for providing executive
leadership and management of both the men’s and women’s football programs and
performance. The role is also a member of the Club’s Executive team and will be a strong
role model and ambassador for the Club’s brand, strategic direction and achievement of our
strategic objectives.
In this role, you will develop and drive the Club’s football philosophy, framework and
systems to achieve consistent top 4 performance across the following areas:
 High Performance Culture & Leadership
 Football Development & Performance:
o Strategic list management & recruiting
o Football skills acquisition and development
o Game style strategy & coaching
o Player wellbeing & welfare
o Teaching & learning practices
o Physical Performance
o Staff development & performance
o Analytics, insights & innovation
 AFL, VFLM & VFLW Operations & Compliance Management
 Management and development of elite training facilities
 Overall management of the Club’s football investment and budget (including Total
Player Payments)
 Internal and external stakeholder engagement

Last edited:
My prediction: Brad Scott comes in to replace Richardson. Rutten coaches s**t for the next year or so. Scott steps up and becomes coach replacing Rutten.

That said, I hope I'm wrong because I really like Rutten and want to see him do well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back