Traded EGM, Football Josh Mahoney - Footy Operations boss at the AFL - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

What if he lays the foundation pieces that enable others to reach their full potential?

A colleague and I used to play buzz word bingo whenever one of our managers started speaking. It's amazing how little can sometimes be said despite lots of words being used.

I don't believe Balme's history reflects that, with the exception potentially being his time at Geelong.

I'd say it's likely that even Mahoney or someone subject to the same limitations can have a significant impact by ensuring we have a good structure in place with the proper people in place at least within his power. The natural limitation is the people and the reality that GM is on par with the coach and the list manager (as appears to be the case at least functionally). This also invites scope for the CEO who is clueless about football to have input.

If we were serious about change, we'd bring in a competent dictator who can at least set the required standards for the football side of things. It starts with the basics. A style of football (and I'd say Rutten can probably articulate a version of that which would satisfy) and the recruitment of players who are capable of playing the style but who are also versatile enough to evolve with the game. He would demand certain training standards and strength and conditioning / performance standards. There is a reason Geelong, Richmond and Hawthorn (during its most recent glory years) "recruit" so well. It's got nothing to do with the genius identification of special players, it's the recruitment of players who are suited to the roles they will be asked to play (which they are then developed for).

We pick flankers we don't then develop as midfielders. When we picked midfielders, such at Mutch and even Mynott, they compounded significant weakness of the side or, like Mutch, never really had a chance of fitting along side players we had (e.g. Langford and Heppell).

The problem is that there has been a pretty clear disconnect between recruitment and coaching and development. There is no amount of organisational diagrams and appointment of staff to junior positions that will address this problem. Someone who understands the issues needs to be calling the shots until it becomes muscle memory for everyone else otherwise we end up with Dodoro selecting a bunch of players who really have no hope in hell of being able to replicate the high intensity running required to play any meaningful variation of Richmond's game plan.

Seriously, we're going to take a flashy mid-sized forward, a midfielder not renowned for his workrate/running power (and who hasn't done anything since he was 16) and that is going to re-create Richmond's swarm how? Is it Parish, Caldwell, Merrett, Tippa and Langford who are going to do it?

It's not rocket science but if everyone continues to do their own thing there is no variation of it which will ever work. Lyon would have been ridiculously well suited to it (and it could have been his way of staying relevant to get his next gig).

Last edited:
This also invites scope for the CEO who is clueless about football to have input.
Annoyingly you cant put XC in the clueless category, he's a SANFL premiership player.

This should be totally irrelevant to his appointment as our CEO but I suspect it wasn't.....that it was just enough to suggest he really knows footy and to give him the credibility to make football decisions. Better of with a straight up non-footy CEO who knows his limitations and works to them.

Annoyingly you cant put XC in the clueless category, he's a SANFL premiership player.

This should be totally irrelevant to his appointment as our CEO but I suspect it wasn't.....that it was just enough to suggest he really knows footy and to give him the credibility to make football decisions. Better of with a straight up non-footy CEO who knows his limitations and works to them.

Well we can just let his record speak for itself.

Herald Sun reporting he is a left field candidate for the vacant AFL Footy operations boss.

Would be unfortunate, seems to be a pretty good operator.

Herald Sun reporting he is a left field candidate for the vacant AFL Footy operations boss.

Would be unfortunate, seems to be a pretty good operator.
Let him go then.

Greater good and all.

LoL I just posted this in the wrong thread.

No Cookies | Herald Sun
No Cookies
www.heraldsun.com.au
www.heraldsun.com.au

Josh Mahoney snubs AFL’s football operations role

As the off-season movement ramps up, Essendon’s Josh Mahoney has pulled out of the race for the AFL’s vacant football operations position.

Mahoney, 43, has opted to continue in his role as the Bombers’ football boss — a job he took at the start of the season.

He was a top contender alongside former North Melbourne coach Brad Scott to fill the role vacated by Steve Hocking.

Mahoney’s decision came as it emerged the AFL had opted to split Hocking’s responsibilities into two positions because of the broadening workload and demands

LoL I just posted this in the wrong thread.

No Cookies | Herald Sun
No Cookies
www.heraldsun.com.au
www.heraldsun.com.au

Josh Mahoney snubs AFL’s football operations role

As the off-season movement ramps up, Essendon’s Josh Mahoney has pulled out of the race for the AFL’s vacant football operations position.

Mahoney, 43, has opted to continue in his role as the Bombers’ football boss — a job he took at the start of the season.

He was a top contender alongside former North Melbourne coach Brad Scott to fill the role vacated by Steve Hocking.

Mahoney’s decision came as it emerged the AFL had opted to split Hocking’s responsibilities into two positions because of the broadening workload and demands
Does that mean Brad Scott pulls out of the race for the Carlton gig?

How many teams was he in charge of at Melbourne? Casey Demons are aligned for both VFL and VFLW right, so presumably he didn’t have direct oversight of those programs. So would just be AFL and AFLW.

He’s gone from having oversight of 2 functional teams to 3 and then 4 teams in the space of 18 months, with 3 of the 4 in need of significant attention for one reason or another. Sounds like a lot of work to me, and with budget cuts no one knows how to handle as well.

Plus as best I can tell he’s never worked at an AFL club with its own VFL team. Even his own VFL playing career was at the aligned Bendigo Bombers…

You’d have to go all the way back to either Port Adelaide’s in-house SANFL team in the 00s or the VSFL reserves during his Collingwood/Western Bulldogs days in the late 90s for a model of how an in-house reserves team might be managed alongside other programs that share the same players and player development programs with weird overlapping budget constraints.

Does he have the support to deal with all of that effectively? You can be the best manager in the world and still be overloaded beyond the ability to delegate.

How many teams was he in charge of at Melbourne? Casey Demons are aligned for both VFL and VFLW right, so presumably he didn’t have direct oversight of those programs. So would just be AFL and AFLW.

He’s gone from having oversight of 2 functional teams to 3 and then 4 teams in the space of 18 months, with 3 of the 4 in need of significant attention for one reason or another. Sounds like a lot of work to me, and with budget cuts no one knows how to handle as well.

Plus as best I can tell he’s never worked at an AFL club with its own VFL team. Even his own VFL playing career was at the aligned Bendigo Bombers…

You’d have to go all the way back to either Port Adelaide’s in-house SANFL team in the 00s or the VSFL reserves during his Collingwood/Western Bulldogs days in the late 90s for a model of how an in-house reserves team might be managed alongside other programs that share the same players and player development programs with weird overlapping budget constraints.

Does he have the support to deal with all of that effectively? You can be the best manager in the world and still be overloaded beyond the ability to delegate.
Casey on field is pretty much run by Melbourne in the same way Box Hill is pretty much run by the Hawks. They have a lot of input.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a good laugh listening to him on SEN last night.

What exactly were we going to learn about the list this year that we didn't already know?

It frustrates me to no end the way these guys clamly explain their dumb plans, during interviewers, to an obedient response of "these are not the droids you're looking for".

They're doing a lot of work on the definition of a contested possessions this year.

Had a good laugh listening to him on SEN last night.

What exactly were we going to learn about the list this year that we didn't already know?

It frustrates me to no end the way these guys clamly explain their dumb plans, during interviewers, to an obedient response of "these are not the droids you're looking for".

They're doing a lot of work on the definition of a contested possessions this year.
I didn’t hear it but usually that’s referring to figuring out who is long term and who is at the end of their road. Like Zerk-Thatcher or Ham, Brand or Eyre, Francis or Stewart. Also what this midfield group looks like together when they’re all healthy.

I didn’t hear it but usually that’s referring to figuring out who is long term and who is at the end of their road. Like Zerk-Thatcher or Ham, Brand or Eyre, Francis or Stewart. Also what this midfield group looks like together when they’re all healthy.
What's to figure out?

DELIST: BZT, Ham, Brand, Eyre, Francis, Stewart.

Not that hard.

What's to figure out?

DELIST: BZT, Ham, Brand, Eyre, Francis, Stewart.

Not that hard.
😝 That all? I'd keep 2-3 of those and I'd be tossing up on shedding probably eight others as well without saying much that would be controversial.

It's not hard to name players that probably aren't up to it. But the more you shed the more you have to replace, and the less you have to replace them with, so deciding which ones to keep for an extra year and how to balance the list without losing too much experience at once, while still having that continuity in teaching game plan as well so you aren't teaching the same first steps to a different bunch of people each preseason is important.

And then there are things like trying a change of position, learning a new role, developing different skills, e.g. Laverde would be close to the chopping block two years ago, now he's a dour defender and one of the first picked every week. The best place to look when you need to fill a gap is on your own list.

Plus by the end of the draft we need to have at least 36 players on the senior list. Can't lose everyone at once.

If they move him on it is an even bigger joke.
Two years ago they moved on Richardson because he and Dodoro could not operate together . So you move on the bloke who played a massive part of taking Richmond from a laughing stock to a power house on field. Sure they had to bring Balme on to appease the members but Richardson build the list.
We have the same with Mahoney. Spent 7 years build Melbourne. Bringing in Roos and Goody. Sure he was not there when they won the flag but he built it.
Two GM of footy in a row that have built premiership sides. Think we need to be looking elsewhere.
I know some will say yeah but someone else finished the job and that is fine but we are not even close to finishing stage. We need someone to build it and it does take 5 plus years.
It is no good comparing us to Collingwood or Hawthorn as both of them have come of periods of success in the last 15 years while we have floated around as a mid range club that can not win a final and finish 8th every second year or so.
At some stage we have to hold our nerve. Listen to our GM of footy who has been down the same road before and actually admit we are not 2 years away and our actions over the last 15 as a club have made us what we are now.

Dodoro has always been a ******* w***er.

For years ITKs on here pumped him up as some kind of cult hero, because like a snake oil salesperson, he has charisma and confidence, even if undeserved.

He’s mediocre at the core component of his job and is without a doubt a s**t person to have at our club.

Show him the ******* door and keep people that know what they’re doing.

If they move him on it is an even bigger joke.
Two years ago they moved on Richardson because he and Dodoro could not operate together . So you move on the bloke who played a massive part of taking Richmond from a laughing stock to a power house on field. Sure they had to bring Balme on to appease the members but Richardson build the list.
We have the same with Mahoney. Spent 7 years build Melbourne. Bringing in Roos and Goody. Sure he was not there when they won the flag but he built it.
Two GM of footy in a row that have built premiership sides. Think we need to be looking elsewhere.
I know some will say yeah but someone else finished the job and that is fine but we are not even close to finishing stage. We need someone to build it and it does take 5 plus years.
It is no good comparing us to Collingwood or Hawthorn as both of them have come of periods of success in the last 15 years while we have floated around as a mid range club that can not win a final and finish 8th every second year or so.
At some stage we have to hold our nerve. Listen to our GM of footy who has been down the same road before and actually admit we are not 2 years away and our actions over the last 15 as a club have made us what we are now.
exactly right.

Dodoro has always been a ******* w***er.

For years ITKs on here pumped him up as some kind of cult hero, because like a snake oil salesperson, he has charisma and confidence, even if undeserved.

He’s mediocre at the core component of his job and is without a doubt a s**t person to have at our club.

Show him the ******* door and keep people that know what they’re doing.

I don’t recall any ITK’s on here or blitz ever legitimately pumping him up at all at any stage, bloke is a meme and we’re taking the piss. At very best we’re tolerant.

I’m an advocate for Mahoney hanging around. If he has positioned himself against Dodoro then he is an asset by default.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back