Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

I think it's time for a fresh pair of eyes, but if stories are to be believed:

- Richardson overruled him regarding Shiel as Dodoro thought it was too high a price to pay; AND (although you hadn't mentioned these but they are common Dodoro gripes)
- The board overruled him about Daniher, had his hands tied about letting him leave for anything other than a ridiculous price
- Steinberg was a Hird request, Dodoro didn't want him

Regardless, I'm with you, I have serious issues on his list management most of all.

Hey I'm curious in what way the board overruled Dodo regarding Daniher? Are you saying he did want to trade for pick 9 and Sydney's future first?

Also if the likes of the board and Richardson are overruling him...does this suggest his authority/power is being diminished within the club even if he's holding the same job title? And it's an interesting thought whether those people should be getting so involved in list management. Richardson OK since he's footy manager but surely not the board...

Carlton apparently had a bit of the same issues with SOS getting overruled last year with Betts and our CEO sticking his nose in recruiting/list management leading to him leaving the club. Whispers some were fighting hard for Ellis > Martin while SOS was firm on Martin. Seems like Dodo is more likely to accept it and move on with his job though unlike SOS.

Hey I'm curious in what way the board overruled Dodo regarding Daniher? Are you saying he did want to trade for pick 9 and Sydney's future first?

Also if the likes of the board and Richardson are overruling him...does this suggest his authority/power is being diminished within the club even if he's holding the same job title? And it's an interesting thought whether those people should be getting so involved in list management. Richardson OK since he's footy manager but surely not the board...

Carlton apparently had a bit of the same issues with SOS getting overruled last year with Betts and our CEO sticking his nose in recruiting/list management leading to him leaving the club. Whispers some were fighting hard for Ellis > Martin while SOS was firm on Martin. Seems like Dodo is more likely to accept it and move on with his job though unlike SOS.
i think it was more that the club agreed we didn't want to trade him, unless a godfather offer came in.
To me, that's Campbell, Richardson, Dodoro, Worsfold/Rutten & Tanner all being aligned.

not sure football ops were going down that path and the board stopped them.

Must admit, as a list manager, facing the loss of Daniher would be a tough call.
You've got a game winner and critical piece of the strategy you've been pursuing for nearly a decade.
vs. 2x top 10 picks for an injury prone player who's asked to leave and is a year from being out of contract.
make your decision minus the crystal ball....

i think it was more that the club agreed we didn't want to trade him, unless a godfather offer came in.
To me, that's Campbell, Richardson, Dodoro, Worsfold/Rutten & Tanner all being aligned.

not sure football ops were going down that path and the board stopped them.

Must admit, as a list manager, facing the loss of Daniher would be a tough call.
You've got a game winner and critical piece of the strategy you've been pursuing for nearly a decade.
vs. 2x top 10 picks for an injury prone player who's asked to leave and is a year from being out of contract.
make your decision minus the crystal ball....

If it was a combined decision from those guys then no issue with that from a decision making process point of view.

Agree I think the unique situation with Daniher had the chance to backfire MASSIVELY either way.

One of the big issues is Essendon had brought in Saad/Stringer/Smith/Shiel and with Daniher & others had a strong mature group that the club expected to achieve finals with...easy to forget you actually made finals last year. Club probably saw itself on the rise and even a top 4 challenger with a fit Daniher. Trade him and those dreams are probably gone. Essendon don't have another key forward they could have built around instead. Trying to see it through a Carlton lense, if Curnow only had 1 year on his contract left (he has 3) and wanted out would I trade him for 2 x top 10 picks? Would hate to but probably would to cash in...the decision is a bit easier because we still would have McKay to build around. Essendon only had McKernan & Stewart really...but with Daniher's injury issues it's also a problem of Dodo's own doing having not gone hard to draft/trade in a rated key forward for quite some time.

Unfortunately basically the worst outcome has happened...the team has crashed meaning those 2 x top 10 picks would have been really handy, Daniher was injured until the end of the year and he has requested a move again with no chance Essendon will get even close to the same compensation (pick 7 at best). There's already a lot of talk but once the Daniher compensation is confirmed and if it's way off what the club turned down last year the backlash is going to come hard.

I don't have inside info, just at the time there was a lot of word floating about, some from those with inside info that Dodoro was more open to accepting an offer last year than those above him.

In the end I don't mind if the list manager listens to others in addition to their own opinion to form a decision. I think however in this instance it wasn't that, but that he may have been overruled. Mind you, what he was willing to accept was something like that if I remember correctly.

However if SOS is to be believed it's a moot point anyway as SOS said 9 was never going to be involved directly for Papley. They were trying to use 9 for Martin and 15 back then 15 for Papley. I can't be bothered digging it up. it was one of the post trade period videos.

Agree I think the unique situation with Daniher

Club probably saw itself on the rise and even a top 4 challenger with a fit Daniher

We'd built the list around Daniher, largely off the back of his (and Fantasia's) 2017 form they'd gone and brought in Smith, Saad & Stringer. Had an injury impact 2018 that everyone believed would be rectified in 2019, so went out and brought Shiel in. 2019 more of the same, followed up with a fairly late trade request from Daniher. You're then left with a team built mostly around Daniher, with players traded in off the strength of the forward-line's performance in 2017, where not only has that key player not performed for two seasons, but they're asking for a trade.

You're talking a multi-year list building strategy, with Daniher giving the club 5 days notice before the trade period commenced, and 12 days before the trade period ended. So between 5 and 12 days to totally change the multi-year list building strategy that had been used to bring in mature aged guys like Smith, Saad, Stringer & Shiel for significant draft assets, along with the impact on the players themselves of the club suddenly changing direction.

It was never realistic on that time-line, not without an absolutely obscene offer from Sydney.

In hindsight you'd do the trade, because we know now Daniher never really got on the park, and the season itself was a shambles, but at the time none of these things are known.

the backlash is going to come hard

I doubt it, think most supporters are pretty OK with him going now from the sentiments I've seen.

We'd gambled on his talent and fitness when Smith, Saad & Stringer were brought in after his 2017 form. We doubled down on that gamble in 2018 when we brought Shiel in off the back of Daniher not being able to get on the park. Then we doubled down (again) on it in 2019 after Daniher yet again not getting on the park, and asking for a trade request.

Now the team needs to reset and go again, building off the group of guys under 25, which means Daniher (and Saad) trades will get done.

If it was a combined decision from those guys then no issue with that from a decision making process point of view.

Agree I think the unique situation with Daniher had the chance to backfire MASSIVELY either way.

One of the big issues is Essendon had brought in Saad/Stringer/Smith/Shiel and with Daniher & others had a strong mature group that the club expected to achieve finals with...easy to forget you actually made finals last year. Club probably saw itself on the rise and even a top 4 challenger with a fit Daniher. Trade him and those dreams are probably gone. Essendon don't have another key forward they could have built around instead. Trying to see it through a Carlton lense, if Curnow only had 1 year on his contract left (he has 3) and wanted out would I trade him for 2 x top 10 picks? Would hate to but probably would to cash in...the decision is a bit easier because we still would have McKay to build around. Essendon only had McKernan & Stewart really...but with Daniher's injury issues it's also a problem of Dodo's own doing having not gone hard to draft/trade in a rated key forward for quite some time.

Unfortunately basically the worst outcome has happened...the team has crashed meaning those 2 x top 10 picks would have been really handy, Daniher was injured until the end of the year and he has requested a move again with no chance Essendon will get even close to the same compensation (pick 7 at best). There's already a lot of talk but once the Daniher compensation is confirmed and if it's way off what the club turned down last year the backlash is going to come hard.
The club backed themselves to get Joe right physically and mentally. They failed and, like many, also didn't see a global pandemic coming that would eventually produce a ridiculously compressed season not ideal for bringing players back from long term injuries nor the mental health of some. So here we are.

Hindsight remains 20/20.. as ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's right , the backlash will be MASSIVE

...but it won't be from us, it'll be from blokes like maclure who have no stake or Interest in the club

It's like when people get offended over things for other people because they think they should be offended not because they are.

If ess ppl were prepared to take the risk and it failed, they are probably content to wear the lower compo. Who cares what any one else thinks, itllbe blown up my media twonks

We'd built the list around Daniher, largely off the back of his (and Fantasia's) 2017 form they'd gone and brought in Smith, Saad & Stringer. Had an injury impact 2018 that everyone believed would be rectified in 2019, so went out and brought Shiel in. 2019 more of the same, followed up with a fairly late trade request from Daniher. You're then left with a team built mostly around Daniher, with players traded in off the strength of the forward-line's performance in 2017, where not only has that key player not performed for two seasons, but they're asking for a trade.

You're talking a multi-year list building strategy, with Daniher giving the club 5 days notice before the trade period commenced, and 12 days before the trade period ended. So between 5 and 12 days to totally change the multi-year list building strategy that had been used to bring in mature aged guys like Smith, Saad, Stringer & Shiel for significant draft assets, along with the impact on the players themselves of the club suddenly changing direction.

It was never realistic on that time-line, not without an absolutely obscene offer from Sydney.

In hindsight you'd do the trade, because we know now Daniher never really got on the park, and the season itself was a shambles, but at the time none of these things are known.

I doubt it, think most supporters are pretty OK with him going now from the sentiments I've seen.

We'd gambled on his talent and fitness when Smith, Saad & Stringer were brought in after his 2017 form. We doubled down on that gamble in 2018 when we brought Shiel in off the back of Daniher not being able to get on the park. Then we doubled down (again) on it in 2019 after Daniher yet again not getting on the park, and asking for a trade request.

Now the team needs to reset and go again, building off the group of guys under 25, which means Daniher (and Saad) trades will get done.

All good points.

I'm actually of the belief Essendon doesn't need to go 'full rebuild'...though it hinges on Rutten being able to galvanize the group and instill a good culture and game plan. We've seen how quick other teams can turn it around.

Essendon still has a core of good, mature players...it's not like your team is filled with old journeymen and young kids who aren't ready. Personally I think you should absolutely go after Ben Brown who before this year kicked 60+ goals 3 years in a row while also being the support ruck - that's a great output. And with North basically pushing him out for some reason they can't demand too much.

Get Ben Brown and get Peter Wright for a younger but ready to play key forward...there's the problematic KPF situation somewhat sorted. Both are available so it's not crazy BigFooty talk...they are gettable and Dodo needs to make it happen. Even Mihochek and Cameron are gettable. Hogan too but I wouldn't go there. Paddy McCartin. Tom McDonald. If he doesn't land a key forward this year it's questionable if he ever will. No more excuses.

Key point I guess is for the club to know exactly where they're at and what strategy they want to go through with now...get these guys and still try to be a top team or go the big reset?

As it stands, apart from the delistings, there are 3 who want out.

Hardly an exodus. Two, Daniher & Fantasia, have hardly been on the park. Plus, we can truly move forward as a team, no more waiting for potential.

One key forward & small forward, couple of big bodied midfielders, running machine winger and we are on our way to be better placed than this year. Put Tippa & Heppell behind the ball develop BZT & only play one of Hooker/Hurley (if they both stay)

I am under no illusions that we are anything more than middle range, but I don't think we need to bottom out.

None of them drafted Steinberg though
Just Gorringe, Cook, Tape, Smedts, Jacobs, Watson, Pitt, Lamb, Karnezis, Harper, Batchelor, McCarthy, Newton, Young, Horlin-Smith, Hallahan and Taylor, without even starting on the lesser players than Parker who've still managed a respectable career.

Find something this decade to complain about.

All good points.

I'm actually of the belief Essendon doesn't need to go 'full rebuild'...though it hinges on Rutten being able to galvanize the group and instill a good culture and game plan. We've seen how quick other teams can turn it around.

Essendon still has a core of good, mature players...it's not like your team is filled with old journeymen and young kids who aren't ready. Personally I think you should absolutely go after Ben Brown who before this year kicked 60+ goals 3 years in a row while also being the support ruck - that's a great output. And with North basically pushing him out for some reason they can't demand too much.

Get Ben Brown and get Peter Wright for a younger but ready to play key forward...there's the problematic KPF situation somewhat sorted. Both are available so it's not crazy BigFooty talk...they are gettable and Dodo needs to make it happen. Even Mihochek and Cameron are gettable. Hogan too but I wouldn't go there. Paddy McCartin. Tom McDonald. If he doesn't land a key forward this year it's questionable if he ever will. No more excuses.

Key point I guess is for the club to know exactly where they're at and what strategy they want to go through with now...get these guys and still try to be a top team or go the big reset?
Hooker and Hurley have gone off a cliff, Bellchambers retired and with Daniher gone as well we basically don’t have a spine.

We have kids coming through but our long term ruckman (Draper) has played 9 games, our upcoming KPD (Zerk-Thatcher) has played 11. Bryan, Jones, McBride, Crauford haven’t debuted, Eyre and Brand haven’t even been drafted yet (academy kids). Ridley has played loose intercept this year but may settle at CHB, he’s played 26 games. Less than 50 games between them.

We basically have James Stewart and that’s it - he’s basically Daniher-lite in terms of athletic profile, and ability to cover ground and work up the wings. He’s fresh off a similar issue to the one Daniher had, with the same surgery (adductor release), specialists and rehab in Ireland, he’s come back better than he was when he left. Used to be an oversized small forward but he’s added overhead marking to his repertoire now. And then some undersized forwards like Laverde, Stringer, Townsend that hold down one of the other key role between them.

The list has other problems as well but yeah.

Just Gorringe, Cook, Tape, Smedts, Jacobs, Watson, Pitt, Lamb, Karnezis, Harper, Batchelor, McCarthy, Newton, Young, Horlin-Smith, Hallahan and Taylor, without even starting on the lesser players than Parker who've still managed a respectable career.

Find something this decade to complain about.

That's like a who's who of failed mid pricers in my old dream team

Hooker and Hurley have gone off a cliff, Bellchambers retired and with Daniher gone as well we basically don’t have a spine.

We have kids coming through but our long term ruckman (Draper) has played 9 games, our upcoming KPD (Zerk-Thatcher) has played 11. Bryan, Jones, Crauford haven’t debuted, Eyre and Brand haven’t even been drafted yet (academy kids). Ridley has played loose intercept this year but may settle at CHB, he’s played 26 games. Less than 50 games between them.

We basically have James Stewart and that’s it - he’s basically Daniher-lite in terms of athletic profile, and ability to cover ground and work up the wings. He’s fresh off a similar issue to the one Daniher had, with the same surgery (adductor release), specialists and rehab in Ireland, he’s come back better than he was when he left. Used to be an oversized small forward but he’s added overhead marking to his repertoire now. And then some undersized forwards like Laverde, Stringer, Townsend that hold down one of the other key role between them.

The list has other problems as well but yeah.

Well...that doesn't paint a pretty picture then.

Coming back to the thread topic of Dodo then, I think a lot would share the same view that he seems quite good at trade negotiations and is capable of identifying talent in the draft like Ridley...however the bigger picture of List Management is something he seems to struggle with.

Don't think he can be blamed for the likes of Hurley & Hooker falling off a cliff...prob more to do with the coaches and the players themselves.

But to not have any promising, highly rated KPF's except for Daniher for how many years now is pretty poor...and Daniher fell into his lap as a father/son. Outside Daniher when is the last good KPF pick Dodo has made or traded in? Can you count Gumbleton?

Also the often mentioned lack of a big bodied mid...there is Heppell who unfortunately has been struck down with injuries. Wouldn't really count Langford and Stringer either even if they both start at some centre bounces...if anything prob shows the lack of true big bodied mids since they have to use them and Tippa to fill the hole. Before then the likes of Hocking & Myers were only ever really serviceable rather than gun inside mids. The balance is out of whack when you have so many small mids that Parish has often been pushed out of his best position. Parish/McGrath/Smith/Shiel were all brought in within a few years of each other - good picks individually but as a collective when also added to Merrett? Questionable.

Encompassing the ten years that have elapsed since a speculative second round pick didn't work out. There's enough to criticise without dredging up ******* Steinberg.

I will continue to criticize that decision but I can as I am on record here before and straight after the draft as far as not taking Parker goes.
I will say that decision probably has more impact than just picking the wrong player as we could have used Parkers leadership as well.
What compounded the decision is we picked Steinburg as a medium forward with some X factor. He kicked 5 goals in an early practice match in Geelong and we ended up playing him at full back o_Oo_O Who knows what he may have done as a forward. All I know is he got destroyed as a player trying to play defense against players he was 5cm shorter than.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back