Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

The fact that this trade proposal could be complete bullshit but everybody believes it because Dodo has a reputation is enough reason to move him on.

The guy is poison at this point.
Nah.

We don't fire people coz the media are campaigners.

These threads are going to ****ed if we keep letting Blues supporters argue over Dodoro as well .

For what it is worth , three weeks out I am glad the first deal was ridiculously high.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
These threads are going to f’ed if we keep letting Blues supporters argue over Dodoro as well .

For what it is worth , three weeks out I am glad the first deal was ridiculously high.

Especially in response to leaked stories in which Carlton has said that it would used the PSD.

Whether that's realistic or not is irrelevant. They fired the first shot. I'm not sure how it can be classified as a reasonable opening position because it's not even in the spirit of a trade negotiation (it starts to become a reasonable threat if we are still asking for Harry McKay a few days into the trade period assuming negotiations continue over the next few weeks). Our opening position always had to be proportionate to the PSD threat. Frankly, my response would have been something like:

'If you want to poison this by threatening the PSD before we've even started, Saad won't get past North and I'm willing to see him become a Tasmanian Kangaroo for nothing to make sure you don't get him. Or you can give me McKay and your first round pick and we'll give you Saad and a second round pick (which we'll have for you by the end of the trade period). Come back to me when you're prepared to be reasonable. I might tell Adam that I'm starting discussions with North in the meantime and that he should too."

The temptation is always there to cut to the chase but people find out the hard way that it doesn't stop you from being chiseled when the other side sees the opportunity to exploit your good faith.

We should ask the question of every player on this list that we like. Who knows what the response will be. Maybe a gun player has boned someone's misses in a moment of madness or there has been a punch up in the hub which has created division (and Carlton has kept it quite to retain trade value, unlike North with Brown and the Dogs with Stringer).

If we get in the trade period and are re-stating existing positions like McKay which do not reflect fair value, and the proposals coming from Carlton are in a reasonable range Dodoro deserves the articles which are being written about him.

Let's not forget what happened last year was that GWS took the opportunity to screw us by moving Scully on and removing the salary cap problem that had Shiel on the trade table. That was a masterstroke from them to coax the extra first round pick out of us. What did we want from Dodoro to stump up the 2 first round picks straight away when that's not what he had to pay until he got screwed?

Last edited:

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Lol that's a ridiculous trade suggestion. Dodoro (if the article is correct) comes up with suggestions even the most delusional Essendon supporter on Bigfooty/Bomberblitz wouldn't come up with.

Probably going for a "I'll begrudgingly accept pick 7" situation.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Assuming this is correct - which I doubt, as sports journalists are as reliable as pulling out - then I’d completely welcome dodo to ask for the moon.

You can’t offer a bloke 3m and then not cough up your first.

It’s just as an insulting offer as asking what dodo was asking for.

Not that he is, but if he was a free agent that contract would land somewhere between band 2 and 3 which equates to a high to mid 2nd round pick. Even a reported $3.2M doesnt get him more than band 2 which is start of 2nd round.

I think its fair for Essendon to start at pick 7 but I would expect something compelling to be coming back with Saad.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Not that he is, but if he was a free agent that contract would land somewhere between band 2 and 3 which equates to a high to mid 2nd round pick. Even a reported $3.2M doesnt get him more than band 2 which is start of 2nd round.

I think its fair for Essendon to start at pick 7 but I would expect something compelling to be coming back with Saad.

I can offer Shaun McKernan in the deal, to replace Kruezer for you.

7 for Saad and McKernan. Bargain.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important
Especially in response to leaked stories in which Carlton has said that it would used the PSD.

Whether that's realistic or not is irrelevant. They fired the first shot. I'm not sure how it can be classified as a reasonable opening position because it's not even in the spirit of a trade negotiation (it starts to become a reasonable threat if we are still asking for Harry McKay a few days into the trade period assuming negotiations continue over the next few weeks). Our opening position always had to be proportionate to the PSD threat. Frankly, my response would have been something like:

'If you want to poison this by threatening the PSD before we've even started, Saad won't get past North and I'm willing to see him become a Tasmanian Kangaroo for nothing to make sure you don't get him. Or you can give me McKay and your first round pick and we'll give you Saad and a second round pick (which we'll have for you by the end of the trade period). Come back to me when you're prepared to be reasonable. I might tell Adam that I'm starting discussions with North in the meantime and that he should too."

The temptation is always there to cut to the chase but people find out the hard way that it doesn't stop you from being chiseled when the other side sees the opportunity to exploit your good faith.

We should ask the question of every player on this list that we like. Who knows what the response will be. Maybe a gun player has boned someone's misses in a moment of madness or there has been a punch up in the hub which has created division (and Carlton has kept it quite to retain trade value, unlike North with Brown and the Dogs with Stringer).

If we get in the trade period and are re-stating existing positions like McKay which do not reflect fair value, and the proposals coming from Carlton are in a reasonable range Dodoro deserves the articles which are being written about him.

Let's not forget what happened last year was that GWS took the opportunity to screw us by moving Scully on and removing the salary cap problem that had Shiel on the trade table. That was a masterstroke from them to coax the extra first round pick out of us. What did we want from Dodoro to stump up the 2 first round picks straight away when that's not what he had to pay until he got screwed?
I think we need more hotshot lawyers like you at the Trade table. I do declare Mr BrunoV , I'm getting vapours!

These threads are going to f’ed if we keep letting Blues supporters argue over Dodoro as well .

Yep when trade period hasn't started I don't have an issue with these inquiries.

I do hope once trade period behinds properly they are quick about it.

MarkJohnson#1

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone who doesn’t think Dodo should ask for the best possible outcome first up is kidding themselves. Remember, we didn’t want to trade Saad, it is Carlton who have lured him out of the club with a promise of glory and trinkets. Surely we can ask for what we want in return to kick off negotiations..?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

The contract you are offering would be band 2. The only reason tigers didn’t get band 2 for Ellis was the afl didn’t want the premiers getting a 1st round pick for a player they were pushing out the door and the suns were offering him money way over his value.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
threats about the PSD are about as reliable as threats about WMD - we go to war dodo, yes?

They did it last year for what was the first time in a long time.

It's more that the threat to walk away from negotiations to get a really good player by exploiting the system is not a good faith position.

If the media wasn't writing stories for clicks they'd see the threat by Carlton for what it is.

Next time someone allegedly involved in list management chimes in with a view just ask him "how would you respond to threat by another club to use the PSD on a really good player before negotiations even started?"

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
They did it last year for what was the first time in a long time.

It's more that the threat to walk away from negotiations to get a really good player by exploiting the system is not a good faith position.

If the media wasn't writing stories for clicks they'd see the threat by Carlton for what it is.

Next time someone allegedly involved in list management chimes in with a view just ask him "how would you respond to threat by another club to use the PSD on a really good player before negotiations even started?"

it feels like dodos reputation proceeds him and the opponent feels the need to get on the front foot before they even start. Its a very bad place to begin any negotiations in good faith

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
it feels like dodos reputation proceeds him and the opponent feels the need to get on the front foot before they even start. Its a very bad place to begin any negotiations in good faith

Credit to Carlton for using some bozo journalist to put us under pressure but it should be met with what it deserves.

There are unrealistic openings and then there is essentially a threat to cheat.

Back