Yoda_

Hall of Famer
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Still undervalues the midfield. If Hobbs plays early we will arguably have zero young midfielders developing in the VFL next year.
And no small forwards on the AFL list (concurrently) in the VFL either

** Yes, I am aware the Davey twins are coming but that is still12 months away**

owen87

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Still undervalues the midfield. If Hobbs plays early we will arguably have zero young midfielders developing in the VFL next year.
I get the sense Taylor or Draper were two we had lined up before that Lord selection.

There’s some big midfielders still available so I wouldn’t mind a rookie spot used on one, and another on a small forward.

owen87

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Just making a point that he apparently doesn't do the drafting, that is RFK. He does
RFK does the scouting doesn’t he? Dodoro still makes the final decision in conjunction with the rest of the group, which I don’t think anyone says he doesn’t have input or sway over.

Zach Package

HOBBGOBLIN
Sep 21, 2012
Parish, Francis
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Piggy Smith, Heat
And no small forwards on the AFL list (concurrently) in the VFL either

** Yes, I am aware the Davey twins are coming but that is still12 months away**
Hird? Waterman will battle for senior gametime and will play as a small forward at VFL level, Perkins might be sent back to find bit of touch and work on some things and won’t play 100% midfield time. We will probably rookie one tomorrow or through the SSP. And yes the Daveys are coming, this is why we are not taking small forwards in the draft now.

Stop using words you don’t understand to make a point that makes any sense.

Yoda_

Hall of Famer
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Hird? Waterman will battle for senior gametime and will play as a small forward at VFL level, Perkins might be sent back to find bit of touch and work on some things and won’t play 100% midfield time. We will probably rookie one tomorrow or through the SSP. And yes the Daveys are coming, this is why we are not taking small forwards in the draft now.

Stop using words you don’t understand to make a point that makes any sense.
Second post you've been rude in now mate, give it a rest.

None are crumbers, mercurial types on the list right now. Yes, am well aware the rookie draft is tomorrow and that may change my opinion of how the list looks now but to suggest we are fine for small forwards is a bit of a fallacy.

As you of all people have been suggesting (re Ben Hobbs), height is not everything. Waterman may be 183cm but plays like a 189cm fwd who relies on power and marking more than the ball hitting the deck like the type of player I am referring too.

Zach Package

HOBBGOBLIN
Sep 21, 2012
Parish, Francis
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Piggy Smith, Heat
Second post you've been rude in now mate, give it a rest.

None are crumbers, mercurial types on the list right now. Yes, am well aware the rookie draft is tomorrow and that may change my opinion of how the list looks now but to suggest we are fine for small forwards is a bit of a fallacy.

As you of all people have been suggesting (re Ben Hobbs), height is not everything. Waterman may be 183cm but plays like a 189cm fwd who relies on power and marking more than the ball hitting the deck like the type of player I am referring too.
With all due respect I think your takes have been all over the shop and all I’ve been doing is trying to calm you down

nipst@r

Senior List
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
With all due respect I think your takes have been all over the shop and all I’ve been doing is trying to calm you down
I agree with Yoda quite a bit regarding our list management. We have an above average list and Adrian is probably above average list manager. Biggest knock is I don't think we have any plays in the top 3 - maybe even top 5 in the comp for there position. Maybe Ridley but ive put McGovern, Stewart, lever a step above in same role.

I think that's ultimately what wins flags and finals. We to draft the same, content with the same and leaves us with a team full of good players, role players but not capable of much more.

We also let list cloggers hang around for a year or two to long. Be interesting to see thoughts and suggestions on who is likely to be top 3 in there position. Cox? Also whilst these kids will likely have good careers none spring out as superstars.

Those who know Hobbs could his ceiling be best insider mid in comp? - height/size profile to me says no but no shame in playing 200 games - still a good pick but think finding the super elite is our weakness

Duckworth

Peptide Awareness
Oct 8, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree with Yoda quite a bit regarding our list management. We have an above average list and Adrian is probably above average list manager. Biggest knock is I don't think we have any plays in the top 3 - maybe even top 5 in the comp for there position. Maybe Ridley but ive put McGovern, Stewart, lever a step above in same role.
We had 2 All-Australians this year. Stringer and Ridley not far behind, to go with one of the youngest lists in the comp.

Foxx

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Im a supporter of Dodoro. But he made a blue this draft. When Taylor and Draper were on the board within five picks. He shouldn't have sat on his heels. Collingwood got the deal done to get up there. Dodoro should have made it a certainty too. You could see the reaction after missing out. Shouldn't have waited then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duckworth

Peptide Awareness
Oct 8, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Im a supporter of Dodoro. But he made a blue this draft. When Taylor and Draper were on the board within five picks. He shouldn't have sat on his heels. Collingwood got the deal done to get up there. Dodoro should have made it a certainty too. You could see the reaction after missing out. Shouldn't have waited then.
Dodoro has already been quoted as trying very hard to move up the draft. Collingwood got in there just before us. It happens.

Foxx

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Dodoro has already been quoted as trying very hard to move up the draft. Collingwood got in there just before us. It happens.
Surely Dodoro could have moved up a couple of spots like Collingwood did to get Draper.
Dodoro was quoted in trying to move up to second round picks. That had nothing to do with the situation of 5 live picks away from two players who were rated top 20. He sat on his heels. Collingwood didn't.

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Surely Dodoro could have moved up a couple of spots like Collingwood did to get Draper.
Dodoro was quoted in trying to move up to second round picks. That had nothing to do with the situation of 5 live picks away from two players who were rated top 20. He sat on his heels. Collingwood didn't.
Do you know what the cost was to move up a couple of picks?

Foxx

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Do you know what the cost was to move up a couple of picks?
Next years third rounder. Fair point. Collingwood effectively paid 2 third rounders for Draper. Would we have? Did Dodoro try or sat back? Who knows. Looked bad though.

tesla1962

Premiership Player
Jun 3, 2014
Lewes, East Sussex
AFL Club
Essendon
Those who know Hobbs could his ceiling be best insider mid in comp? - height/size profile to me says no but no shame in playing 200 games - still a good pick but think finding the super elite is our weakness
I like this new category you call the super elite. Linking it to height and size parameters for 'inside' midfielders should make recruiting easier. After all, we wouldn't want to recruit a Michael Voss (183 cm) or a Joel Selwood (182 cm), and definitely need to avoid the Sam Mitchell (180 cm) / Gary Ablett Jr (182 cm) types Just the super elites with our #11 picks from now on!

ant555

The Oracle
May 4, 2004
lurking in the shadows of the matrix
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers
Being able to get it done is another thing. Not being privy to who was trading what and the value of Collingwood futures v our futures is also a factor. Not saying trading up was the wrong thing to do but it is not all that simple. Clubs would have looked at the Pies future picks as better value than ours to start with based on current expectation of ladder position. Someone actually has to want to do the trade .

GUMBLETRON

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Being able to get it done is another thing. Not being privy to who was trading what and the value of Collingwood futures v our futures is also a factor. Not saying trading up was the wrong thing to do but it is not all that simple. Clubs would have looked at the Pies future picks as better value than ours to start with based on current expectation of ladder position. Someone actually has to want to do the trade .
Which probably means an F2 would have been needed. Coincidentally exactly the pick that had it been held this year would have precluded needing to trade up.

nipst@r

Senior List
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
I like this new category you call the super elite. Linking it to height and size parameters for 'inside' midfielders should make recruiting easier. After all, we wouldn't want to recruit a Michael Voss (183 cm) or a Joel Selwood (182 cm), and definitely need to avoid the Sam Mitchell (180 cm) / Gary Ablett Jr (182 cm) types Just the super elites with our #11 picks from now on!
Didn't realise we were still playing in 90s early 2000s. Yeah good point if we were playing 10-20 years ago.

Petracca, dusty, danger, Oliver. We have stringer but I'd put bontempelli, Martin, petracca, danger above him for the mid fwd role.

For a unbiased opinion be interesting on the main board for who in our current team is top 3 in there role.

Also not just talking this year. Please list how many of these players dodo has drafted. Hird and Watson don't count.

nipst@r

Senior List
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
One father son selection but how many top 3 brownlows, mvps, all Australian captains and even all Australians in the last twenty years has dodo drafted. Not a lot for a twenty year tenure with over 100 picks and list mgmt decisions.

Can argue all you want but to me its the super elite that win finals and flags, we haven't drafted any and we don't win finals. Simple.

I'm not saying his bad but he is not an elite list manager like he is made out to be on here.

If we stretch out to twenty five years without a finals win, that's okay for a list manager?

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
One father son selection but how many top 3 brownlows, mvps, all Australian captains and even all Australians in the last twenty years has dodo drafted. Not a lot for a twenty year tenure with over 100 picks and list mgmt decisions.

Can argue all you want but to me its the super elite that win finals and flags, we haven't drafted any and we don't win finals. Simple.

I'm not saying his bad but he is not an elite list manager like he is made out to be on here.

If we stretch out to twenty five years without a finals win, that's okay for a list manager?
I don't think anyone is saying that he is an elite list manager. I do however believe he has improved a lot after the saga.

I think we'll see those elite players emerge over the next 4-5 years. I believe this is the most talented list we've had since the early 2000s. Parish in particular was in brownlow form at certain stages this year. May well win one over the next couple of years. Cox, Perkins, Reid, Ridley, Draper and even Nick Bryan are others that could become one of the top players in the league.

Foxx

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't think anyone is saying that he is an elite list manager. I do however believe he has improved a lot after the saga.

I think we'll see those elite players emerge over the next 4-5 years. I believe this is the most talented list we've had since the early 2000s. Parish in particular was in brownlow form at certain stages this year. May well win one over the next couple of years. Cox, Perkins, Reid, Ridley, Draper and even Nick Bryan are others that could become one of the top players in the league.
I think his job depends on this last new group.

nipst@r

Senior List
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon

I hope so. Agree with list ATM is promising and let's hope Cox or Ridley become that. I.e Bont, Oliver, Martin, McGovern all won there teams finals as if they play to there best they just simply have too much talent. When I look at our team in finals/ top teams the opposition seems to always have the best 3 players talent wise.

Draper is a very good ruckman but until he fixes his kicking will struggle to leap into conversation as best in the comp. Ridley, Cox and stringer are the 3 with potential of just to good or can by pure talent win finals, take us towards a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad