GMHBA Stadium (Kardinia Park, Geelong)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah these LED signs are a safety hazard and have been from day 1. When I go to the cricket and sit front row at Etihad and I touch the signs they kinda hurt if you smack them because every single little lightbulb is surrounded by these squares that are a bit abrasive when hit hard. You would think some thought would be had when these were made but the MCG ones were installed during the Cricket World Cup so there is little risk of anything in cricket but still. Surprised this issue didn’t come up when Darcy Moore hit his head at Etihad. That was little sickening to watch because the ad boards are about half a foot thick.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
To be fair, fixing the fence may take some time and this is a good temporary measure to address player safety.

Just need to make sure the temp measure didn't become the permanent one as often happens.

Yet Venues Live were ordered to cover their LED signage at Optus Stadium within 5 days with a clear plastic sheet like on the old scrolling signage at the G and Docklands and the GABBA has apparently got them on their LED signage too. I wonder if Kardinia Park will eventually get plastic covers on their LED signage as well

Whyswun

Rookie
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
They should remove a whole lot of seats on flanks and wings to make the ground wider, closer to MCG dimensions. Better chance to win a premiership that way.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
67, 69, 73, 74, 80

But yeah, nothing before 2017
Yeah, if it's such a big thing then teams like Richmond wouldn't go 27 years between flags.

There's much more to winning one than having a home ground the same dimensions as the MCG.

Yeah, if it's such a big thing then teams like Richmond wouldn't go 27 years between flags.

There's much more to winning one than having a home ground the same dimensions as the MCG.

Not disagreeing with your notion

I'm disagreeing with your claim RFC achieved nothing at the MCG until 2017

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Not disagreeing with your notion

I'm disagreeing with your claim RFC achieved nothing at the MCG until 2017
In that case every MCG tenant has achieved at the ground and my comment was totally stupid.

Oh wait, I was making a general statement which got over-literalised for the purposes of picking an argument.

In that case every MCG tenant has achieved at the ground and my comment was totally stupid.

Oh wait, I was making a general statement which got over-literalised for the purposes of picking an argument.

No, you got called out because your claim used RFC only winning in 2017 as its evidence

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
No, you got called out because your claim used RFC only winning in 2017 as its evidence
As I said, I was making a generalisation, like saying Richmond always finish 9th. I'm confident you knew exactly what I meant but I was prepared to take a tongue-in-cheek point about their previous MCG successes. Not gonna take you telling me off for arguing with you when I never even contested the point you made.

WTF does any of the last 7 posts have to do with GMHBA stadium information.

FFS take the Tigers bullshit somewhere else. You have 87000 threads on the Tigers board, the Bay, the Main Board and the knitting thread about the Tigers.
Keep the OT s**t out of this one.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
WTF does any of the last 7 posts have to do with GMHBA stadium information.

FFS take the Tigers bullshit somewhere else. You have 87000 threads on the Tigers board, the Bay, the Main Board and the knitting thread about the Tigers.
Keep the OT s**t out of this one.

GO Catters
Tell rfc to lighten up and take the point I was making then.

If having a stadium the same size as the MCG is that important to winning flags, MCG teams like Richmond and Melbourne wouldn't have had/be having long premiership droughts.

Kardinia Park and Geelong Performing Arts Centre in line for dual project funding worth $230m
SHANE FOWLES, Geelong Advertiser
September 21, 2018 12:00am

THE Andrews Government has revealed it will complete two major infrastructure projects in Geelong, if it is re-elected in November.

Labor has committed to the $102 million fifth and final stage of the Kardinia Park Stadium redevelopment, which will increase the venue’s capacity to 40,000.

In a double-pronged election pledge, Labor has also revealed it would spend $128 million on the third and final stage of the modernisation of the Geelong Performing Arts Centre.

Both initiatives are contingent on Labor being returned for a second term at the November 24 State Election.

Premier Daniel Andrews said his party would deliver the finishing touches to the city’s vibrant arts and cultural precinct and its premier sporting venue.

“We’ll finish the job we’ve started — transforming GPAC and Kardinia Park into the best regional facilities in Australia, delivering jobs, tourism and top-level sports and events to Geelong.”

The election promises come on the back of the Government’s allocation of $153.2 million towards Geelong’s City Deal in its 2018-19 Budget.

Labor has stated that work on the northern stand end of Kardinia Park would start after the venue hosts World T20 cricket matches in late 2020.

Construction would not finish on the substantial build until 2022.

The project would create:

A NEW 14,000 capacity two-tier northern stand to replace the ageing Ford Stand and Ablett Terrace;

NEW Geelong Cricket Club social rooms and cricket facilities;

NEW unisex change rooms and facilities to allow more professional women’s sport; and,

NEW media and loading facilities, providing better access for drop-in pitches and major concerts.

The final stage of GPAC’s transformation would also start in 2020.

It would provide a 500-seat drama theatre, a new 250-seat courtyard theatre, a new black box theatre, an outdoor atrium, more dining options and an upgraded box office.

The $128 million project would cover around two-thirds of the site, with most of the work focusing on the Little Malop St side of the building.

Construction would stretch into 2023. Labor said it would support about 600 construction jobs and more than 300 ongoing local jobs in the tourism and service industries.

The commitment comes as work continues on the stage two Ryrie St redevelopment.

The $38.5 million project is creating a new Ryrie St entrance, universal access to The Playhouse, new rehearsal and dance studios, a new foyer and bar areas.

That work is expected to be completed in mid-2019.

Giggity.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Shame it has to wait for the 2020 world cup, but I guess if it started straight after the election it wouldn't be done in time.

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
Again, in what way?
This is like getting blood from a stone!

The place doesn't need an upgrade, that's pretty clear cut I'd have thought? No need to go in depth? Already incredibly fit to host 9 AFL games and a couple of cricket games a year? Easily big enough for a city like Geelong?

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The place doesn't need an upgrade, that's pretty clear cut I'd have thought? No need to go in depth? Already incredibly fit to host 9 AFL games and a couple of cricket games a year? Easily big enough for a city like Geelong?
You're assuming the stadium/club is happy with 9 AFL games and a couple of cricket games a year.
3/4 of the stadium is now high-standard, and then the Ford Stand area is quite outdated and looks even older next to the new work.
The stadium wants to increase its use and host perhaps 11 AFL games, and other events, which won't happen if the upgrades aren't complete.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I'm not from Geelong nor a long term resident of Melbourne, but one thing that always seems to be imparted on me is the obsessive pride they have down there in their football team and relatively unique ground. The quality of the infrastructure has brought Cricket Australia to town and they've now got regular domestic and international fixtures to look forward to. They are also enjoying an increasing number of night "marquee" footy games, of which the trend is only going to go one way.

Is it really difficult to believe that pride in local footy & town is a genuine issue for the majority of constituent voters there and thus treated with a heightened sense of importance?

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The current KP is quite good, except where it's not.

Imagine the MCG, but it still has the old Ponsford Stand (new MCC and Olympic Stand though), that's KP right now. Sure the facilities are great where they've been upgraded, but behind the Terrace is food trucks and portaloos. That might be AFLW standard at Ikon Park, but if we're gonna be hosting world cups and finals we need proper facilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back