GMHBA Stadium (Kardinia Park, Geelong)

Remove this Banner Ad

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Bump

GMHBA doesn't get talked about much on here.
Any word on the next stage getting underway?
Labor has pledged to fully fund Stage 5, commencing at the end of the 2020 AFL season due to the women's T20 WC being held Summer 2019/2020.

Labor has pledged to fully fund Stage 5, commencing at the end of the 2020 AFL season due to the women's T20 WC being held Summer 2019/2020.
I'd nearly rather get stage 5 understand way earlier and not have the women's World Cup but can understand it's a good opportunity for Geelong

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Jesus, how many people do they think they'd get to a women's T20 game in Geelong? Surely blocking off a section isn't going to inconvenience too many people.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
* me, tax payers funding ANOTHER stage of this stadium?

For the amount of games played there and the amount of people servicing it, the E gate stadium option would of been used a lot more.

Cricket FC

Debutant
Nov 17, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jesus, how many people do they think they'd get to a women's T20 game in Geelong? Surely blocking off a section isn't going to inconvenience too many people.
Pretty sure it's the Men's T20 World Cup that will host games in Geelong in 2020

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Pretty sure it's the Men's T20 World Cup that will host games in Geelong in 2020

I’d have thought it would only be the main grounds in contention for World T20 matches. Most countries only use around 3 venues for World T20’s. I can’t see CA only using 3 without pissing off everyone outside of the MCC and SCG, but I’d be surprised if they use secondary venues.

Cricket FC

Debutant
Nov 17, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’d have thought it would only be the main grounds in contention for World T20 matches. Most countries only use around 3 venues for World T20’s. I can’t see CA only using 3 without pissing off everyone outside of the MCC and SCG, but I’d be surprised if they use secondary venues.
There's 8 venues that will be used for the T20 WC: MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval, Gabba, Perth Stadium, Manuka Oval, Bellerive and Kardinia Park.
Grounds like Manuka, Bellerive and KP will likely host smaller matches

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
There's 8 venues that will be used for the T20 WC: MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval, Gabba, Perth Stadium, Manuka Oval, Bellerive and Kardinia Park.
Grounds like Manuka, Bellerive and KP will likely host smaller matches
But which of those are for women's and which for men's?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Am I the only one ruing them upgrading the last parts of the old Kardinia Park? I love that there's one last full end of suburban footy left in the AFL. Because it's not just the old, open terrace, it's the makeshift gates with attendees, the open toilets and 80s vans selling food (as opposed to food vans) and the literal piss troughs. Adds to the intimidatory factor, especially as it has heaps of away bays.

The whole ground being modern is just a pity, it'd make it far less of a trinket.

Kardinia Boy

Senior List
Jun 6, 2008
Steiglitz
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Canucks
Am I the only one ruing them upgrading the last parts of the old Kardinia Park? I love that there's one last full end of suburban footy left in the AFL. Because it's not just the old, open terrace, it's the makeshift gates with attendees, the open toilets and 80s vans selling food (as opposed to food vans) and the literal piss troughs. Adds to the intimidatory factor, especially as it has heaps of away bays.

The whole ground being modern is just a pity, it'd make it far less of a trinket.

It'll be a sad day for me when I can't stand on the terraces anymore.

Footyfan61

Debutant
Dec 19, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can't see this Tarneit stadium happening. If this club doesn't fold I reckon Geelong have attained an A league club by stealth.
Aparently they have the private backing to build it!
I find this staggering as the a league clubs seem to be sick holes when it comes to money

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

8 venues in all to be used, has the draw been set?

GMHBA Stadium will host 6 group matches in what will be the first time the ICC T20 World Cup has been held in Australia.

Geelong is the only regional city to host a men’s match in the T20 World Cup 2020, alongside other major cities including Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Hobart, Perth and Sydney. For the first time, men’s and women’s competitions will be played as standalone events in the same host country and in the same year.
https://www.kardiniapark.vic.gov.au/news

members section

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Went to the storm v warriors trial game tonight & remarkably the rectangle was centred for the 1st time I can remember down here. Sat in the new stand & with the elevation was not bad viewing. Definitely no worse than rectangular sports at marvel.

Attachments

• E1F92BD4-0804-48C7-93F0-D932BEE30167.jpeg
    E1F92BD4-0804-48C7-93F0-D932BEE30167.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 301
  • 6FE9E94F-265C-4D00-8605-34DA7F65660B.jpeg
    6FE9E94F-265C-4D00-8605-34DA7F65660B.jpeg
    373.1 KB · Views: 263
Nice! That might fix a wobbly seat in the Ablett Terrace...I assume you mean $20m.
A missing M is the least of my worries today. It’s been a long and rough day. Stiff drink time

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Am I the only one who doesn't want this ground upgraded anymore?

It's three-quarters up to scratch and the newest grandstands look great, they're modern and big and placate supporters and the media.

But the terrace is a great rarity. Once it's gone, they're all gone. It's a rough looking spot but I loved going there, the ad-hoc gates and scanners at the front, the food vans (not food truck...), the big open piss troughs and sinks. And then just how cold it is on a typical Geetroit night. It felt like going to a game in 1996 or something and that's an experience supporter should be able to choose to have.

I get the Cats might end up playing all their games down there, but ultimately you'd just lose a lot of rough old character by getting rid of it.

It's a great stadium as it is and Geelong people should be proud they've got something that looks so good – Newcastle's soccer and rugby stadium looks pretty naff, all put together early 2000s work, Wollongong's is 80s and not in a cool way – but c'mon get the one element that's a footy ground.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Am I the only one who doesn't want this ground upgraded anymore?

It's three-quarters up to scratch and the newest grandstands look great, they're modern and big and placate supporters and the media.

But the terrace is a great rarity. Once it's gone, they're all gone. It's a rough looking spot but I loved going there, the ad-hoc gates and scanners at the front, the food vans (not food truck...), the big open piss troughs and sinks. And then just how cold it is on a typical Geetroit night. It felt like going to a game in 1996 or something and that's an experience supporter should be able to choose to have.

I get the Cats might end up playing all their games down there, but ultimately you'd just lose a lot of rough old character by getting rid of it.

It's a great stadium as it is and Geelong people should be proud they've got something that looks so good – Newcastle's soccer and rugby stadium looks pretty naff, all put together early 2000s work, Wollongong's is 80s and not in a cool way – but c'mon get the one element that's a footy ground.
Is that terrace up to fire code and does it have the modern amenities that people still expect to have easy access to even with a terrace-style area?
Eg Adelaide Oval still has the hill (albeit smaller) but it was required to add modern toilet facilities behind it etc.
Could they potentially get the best of both worlds in that area like AO has?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back