GMHBA Stadium (Kardinia Park, Geelong)

Tandy

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Geelong
Bump

GMHBA doesn't get talked about much on here.
Any word on the next stage getting underway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JohnZ

Club Legend
AFL Club
Geelong
Bump

GMHBA doesn't get talked about much on here.
Any word on the next stage getting underway?
Labor has pledged to fully fund Stage 5, commencing at the end of the 2020 AFL season due to the women's T20 WC being held Summer 2019/2020.

Tandy

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Geelong
Labor has pledged to fully fund Stage 5, commencing at the end of the 2020 AFL season due to the women's T20 WC being held Summer 2019/2020.
I'd nearly rather get stage 5 understand way earlier and not have the women's World Cup but can understand it's a good opportunity for Geelong

Rob

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Jesus, how many people do they think they'd get to a women's T20 game in Geelong? Surely blocking off a section isn't going to inconvenience too many people.

Pykie

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
**** me, tax payers funding ANOTHER stage of this stadium?

For the amount of games played there and the amount of people servicing it, the E gate stadium option would of been used a lot more.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jesus, how many people do they think they'd get to a women's T20 game in Geelong? Surely blocking off a section isn't going to inconvenience too many people.
Pretty sure it's the Men's T20 World Cup that will host games in Geelong in 2020

brucetiki

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Pretty sure it's the Men's T20 World Cup that will host games in Geelong in 2020
I’d have thought it would only be the main grounds in contention for World T20 matches. Most countries only use around 3 venues for World T20’s. I can’t see CA only using 3 without pissing off everyone outside of the MCC and SCG, but I’d be surprised if they use secondary venues.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’d have thought it would only be the main grounds in contention for World T20 matches. Most countries only use around 3 venues for World T20’s. I can’t see CA only using 3 without pissing off everyone outside of the MCC and SCG, but I’d be surprised if they use secondary venues.
There's 8 venues that will be used for the T20 WC: MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval, Gabba, Perth Stadium, Manuka Oval, Bellerive and Kardinia Park.
Grounds like Manuka, Bellerive and KP will likely host smaller matches

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
There's 8 venues that will be used for the T20 WC: MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval, Gabba, Perth Stadium, Manuka Oval, Bellerive and Kardinia Park.
Grounds like Manuka, Bellerive and KP will likely host smaller matches
But which of those are for women's and which for men's?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Fremantle
Am I the only one ruing them upgrading the last parts of the old Kardinia Park? I love that there's one last full end of suburban footy left in the AFL. Because it's not just the old, open terrace, it's the makeshift gates with attendees, the open toilets and 80s vans selling food (as opposed to food vans) and the literal piss troughs. Adds to the intimidatory factor, especially as it has heaps of away bays.

The whole ground being modern is just a pity, it'd make it far less of a trinket.

AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Canucks
Am I the only one ruing them upgrading the last parts of the old Kardinia Park? I love that there's one last full end of suburban footy left in the AFL. Because it's not just the old, open terrace, it's the makeshift gates with attendees, the open toilets and 80s vans selling food (as opposed to food vans) and the literal piss troughs. Adds to the intimidatory factor, especially as it has heaps of away bays.

The whole ground being modern is just a pity, it'd make it far less of a trinket.
It'll be a sad day for me when I can't stand on the terraces anymore.

AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can't see this Tarneit stadium happening. If this club doesn't fold I reckon Geelong have attained an A league club by stealth.
Aparently they have the private backing to build it!
I find this staggering as the a league clubs seem to be sick holes when it comes to money

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
8 venues in all to be used, has the draw been set?

GMHBA Stadium will host 6 group matches in what will be the first time the ICC T20 World Cup has been held in Australia.

Geelong is the only regional city to host a men’s match in the T20 World Cup 2020, alongside other major cities including Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, Hobart, Perth and Sydney. For the first time, men’s and women’s competitions will be played as standalone events in the same host country and in the same year.
https://www.kardiniapark.vic.gov.au/news

Top Bottom