GMHBA Stadium (Kardinia Park, Geelong)

Remove this Banner Ad

Grandsun

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
'gmmhubbah' :)

Mind you, the stadium formerly known as 'Simonds Stadium' has some stiff competition out there in the world:
  • Dr. Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium (India)
  • Mend-A-Hose Jungle home of Castleford Tigers Rugby League Football Club (UK)
  • The Dripping Pan home of English football club Lewes
  • Bargain Booze Stadium (Witton Albion - England)
  • Wankdorf Stadion (BSC Young Boys - Switzerland)
  • KitKat Crescent (York, England)
  • Middelfart Stadium (Middlefart, Denmark)
  • Gaylord Entertainment Center (Nashville, USA)
  • Kuntz Stadium (Indianapolis, USA)
Suddenly G.M.H.B.A. Stadium in Geelong isn't sounding so bad.
Don't forget lottoland

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
I went to Kardinia Park yesterday for the Big Bash match and I can say a few things about the experience;

* The wicket was rubbish, but apparently it was alright for the women's game
* The general admission seating area was a bit overcrowded
* Who thought putting bins right near the Ablett terrace entry/exit portal was a good idea? Congestion around there was bad

It seemed to me the general appearance of how things were ran was that the staff and the stadium only know how to run Cats games in an efficient manner for a stadium, even since a State Government appointed trust took over

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I can believe that. Did you find the stadium itself looked alright or was it a little mismatched with the different stands?

Yeah the Hickey stand looks out of place, but then again can't do much with Moorabool Street right behind the stand. I went to Kardinia for Geelong vs Sydney last year and the place looked like it was ran better than Wednesday night, especially the SW pocket video screen which partially failed midway through the first session

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Was in the premiership stand for the big bash and I found it to be run exactly like every other cats game there which was perfectly fine. The only issue I had on the night was the Cats Shop was closed, when the cool breeze whipped through in the evening there were brand new cats hoodies taunting me though the window of the shop as I slowly froze as the night went on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
What’s the stage five redevelopment?
Rebuilding of the Ablett Terrace so it goes from looking like this
1_PC091117AT344-GA-T-620.jpg

to this:
Players-stand-Premiership-Stand-2016.jpg

edit: It'll add upwards of 3k to 4k seats to KP.

A potential and costly stage 6 is re-building the hickey stand over moorabool st ala Brunton Ave. That won't happen for a verrrry long time, 30 years + away.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Rebuilding of the Ablett Terrace so it goes from looking like this
1_PC091117AT344-GA-T-620.jpg

to this:
Players-stand-Premiership-Stand-2016.jpg

edit: It'll add upwards of 3k to 4k seats to KP.

A potential and costly stage 6 is re-building the hickey stand over moorabool st ala Brunton Ave. That won't happen for a verrrry long time, 30 years + away.

Part of stage 5 is refurbishing the Hickey stand, and expect the Cats to charge more money to sit at the Northern end once stage 5 is done, they did that with the Players Stand despite an equivalent seat at Etihad being towards the cheapest seats

WhippingCupcakes

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Hey all, swans member wanting to see the game this Saturday. Seems the away area tickets have been exhausted and i'm looking at GA tickets instead. Not too keen on standing all day. What are peoples experience about trying to get seats, how quickly do they fill up and how early would i need to get there?

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Why it wasn't widened by 10m during development puzzles me. Surely it could have been planned for before all of it got rebuilt. I know it is hemmed in by the road on one side, but still...

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Why it wasn't widened by 10m during development puzzles me. Surely it could have been planned for before all of it got rebuilt. I know it is hemmed in by the road on one side, but still...

Simple, no room and would've not only made the ground look as bizarre as ANZ Stadium does in oval mode, but the disruption to not only the Geelong Football Club and the stadium would've been unacceptable

Kardinia Boy

Senior List
Jun 6, 2008
Steiglitz
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Canucks
Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Typical AFL bowing to the advertising dollar. Instead of fixing the fence or getting rid of the LED signage (which cut the players), they reduce the size of an already skinny ground. That hasn't fixed the issue. A player running into the fence will still get injured.

To be fair, fixing the fence may take some time and this is a good temporary measure to address player safety.

Just need to make sure the temp measure didn't become the permanent one as often happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back