GMHBA Stadium (Kardinia Park, Geelong)

Remove this Banner Ad

Are they fixing the potato shape of the ground while they build the new stands?
Been the same shape for 80 years and is similar in shape as many other clubs former VFL grounds.

Sorry we didn’t sell out and move.

Given the stadium won’t be finished this season (by the sounds of it)

Maybe the AFL could kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and have a massive opening of the stadium next year in round 1 with Collingwood actually making the trip down the highway.

Yes it would sell more in Melbourne, but it would be a great way to open it, and also go a small way to fixing the fixture imbalance

Given the stadium won’t be finished this season (by the sounds of it)

Maybe the AFL could kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and have a massive opening of the stadium next year in round 1 with Collingwood actually making the trip down the highway.

Yes it would sell more in Melbourne, but it would be a great way to open it, and also go a small way to fixing the fixture imbalance
Get em down there. Tough luck Collingwood. I feel like Geelong should get every team down to GMHBA once over a two year period. If they’re getting 9 games at GMHBA a season that’s enough for 9 one year and the other 8 the next and then once Tassie joins it’ll be 9 and 9.
No club should be left out of going to Geelong.

Get em down there. Tough luck Collingwood. I feel like Geelong should get every team down to GMHBA once over a two year period. If they’re getting 9 games at GMHBA a season that’s enough for 9 one year and the other 8 the next and then once Tassie joins it’ll be 9 and 9.
No club should be left out of going to Geelong.
Once every two years is probably a bit much really, but I agree all teams should get a trip down there semi-regularly.

All things considered it is probably right that the bigger Melbourne clubs come down less often than other sides do, but nonetheless a trip down at least once every four years would probably be right.

Once every two years is probably a bit much really, but I agree all teams should get a trip down there semi-regularly.

All things considered it is probably right that the bigger Melbourne clubs come down less often than other sides do, but nonetheless a trip down at least once every four years would probably be right.
Just figured every two years would work perfectly from a fixture point of view and ensuring every team gets down there.

But yeah even every 3-4 years seeing every team there would work.

Just figured every two years would work perfectly from a fixture point of view and ensuring every team gets down there.

Every team should be getting equal trips down there. It’ll certainly take a few of the bigger Melbourne clubs out of their comfort zone

There should be a blanket rule across the board. Have to play at an oppositions home ground at least once every 3 years.

Swans didn't play the pies at the MCG for years. There's countless examples of clubs that nearly always play at home/away against another team for 5-8 years in a row. Simple stuff like that needs to be tidied up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the cats would have dibs on the new stand opening over a team playing two homes games of cricket?
You could be right but I just feel like the cats would be making sure they get to open it.

I know someone who works for the stadium who told me the plan for the BBL game in December is to have about half of the bottom level open for people to sit in - the 2nd tier and the outside areas won't be finished until late January. The official opening of the new stand will take place at the first AFL game in 2024 - the stadium operators are hoping the AFL will play the Cats pre-season practice game at KP to allow them to have a trial run of the new facilities before the home and away season starts.

Surely the cats would have dibs on the new stand opening over a team playing two homes games of cricket?
You could be right but I just feel like the cats would be making sure they get to open it.
I think if it’s finished it’s finished - no need to prolong the financial pain to get an ‘opening.’ Maybe it could go to the aflw?

Complete this stand and then redo hickey stand over the road for stage 6 and complete the stadium so it really holds 40k+ then demand all home games and home finals at KP.
With 150 seats for visiting members in forward pocket again in the TPFS-Tax Payers Funded stadium

Haplologies if its already been answered in this thread , but once its 100% completed and capacity is 40,000, does that then mean (unless the AFL changed the rules or if the rules are different now) that we can hold finals there regardless of opposition? could have sworn you needed a 40k stadium to host, is that still a rule or no

Haplologies if its already been answered in this thread , but once its 100% completed and capacity is 40,000, does that then mean (unless the AFL changed the rules or if the rules are different now) that we can hold finals there regardless of opposition? could have sworn you needed a 40k stadium to host, is that still a rule or no
No the finals will be in Melbourne, 20K vs 40K has never been the issue, they want maximum capacity so MCG it is.

There may be exceptions but that is what they will be, exceptions.

No the finals will be in Melbourne, 20K vs 40K has never been the issue, they want maximum capacity so MCG it is.

There may be exceptions but that is what they will be, exceptions.
even if there QF and or say SF vs interstate sides? like when we lost to Freo that one year? ,so theres no finals at simmonds going forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back