News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't they have to revise design thru a lack of funds
Can't find anything in writing, but my belief was that the top tier was meant to extend to be the same as the bottom level
[IMG='width:347px;']https://www.weekendnotes.com/im/003/09/reg-hickey-stand1.JPG[/IMG]

edit:
A possibility could be that the Scoreboard goes into the gap like the brownlow stand, but I don't know how easy that would be to retrofit.
[IMG='width:405px;']https://www.austadiums.com/news/images/kardinia-brownlow-stand.jpg[/IMG]

Can't find anything in writing, but my belief was that the top tier was meant to extend to be the same as the bottom level
[IMG='width:347px;']https://www.weekendnotes.com/im/003/09/reg-hickey-stand1.JPG[/IMG]

edit:
A possibility could be that the Scoreboard goes into the gap like the brownlow stand, but I don't know how easy that would be to retrofit.
[IMG='width:405px;']https://www.austadiums.com/news/images/kardinia-brownlow-stand.jpg[/IMG]

I remember reading similar information a few years ago, it was supposed to wrap right around to the Hickey Stand the same way the Brownlow Stand wraps around to the Ford Stand, but the club ran out of funds to do it, and we ended up with a strangely-shaped cut-off and the gap for the scoreboard. I'm fairly certain that a different (cheaper) type of cement had to be used as well

I remember reading similar information a few years ago, it was supposed to wrap right around to the Hickey Stand the same way the Brownlow Stand wraps around to the Ford Stand, but the club ran out of funds to do it, and we ended up with a strangely-shaped cut-off and the gap for the scoreboard. I'm fairly certain that a different (cheaper) type of cement had to be used as well
Will be interesting to see how the join happens in Stage 5, or whether we have another hill.

Will be interesting to see how the join happens in Stage 5, or whether we have another hill.

The Artist's Impressions that have been floating around the internet for a while now show a similar gap owing to the stairway into the Hickey Stand, similar to the Players Stand join

10289638-3x2-700x467.jpg

I think the club should try and be fairly quick in getting into Stage 6: demolishing and rebuilding the Hickey Stand over Moorabool Street. It's starting to look fairly average compared to the rest of the stadium. It would be difficult, but not completely impossible for Moorabool Street to become a tunnel under the new stand, but there's still the businesses on the street that will no doubt kick up a stink about possibly being demolished. Only way to get around this would be rebuilding them as part of the new complex (similar to the restaurants outside Marvel)

The Artist's Impressions that have been floating around the internet for a while now show a similar gap owing to the stairway into the Hickey Stand, similar to the Players Stand join

I think the club should try and be fairly quick in getting into Stage 6: demolishing and rebuilding the Hickey Stand over Moorabool Street. It's starting to look fairly average compared to the rest of the stadium. It would be difficult, but not completely impossible for Moorabool Street to become a tunnel under the new stand, but there's still the businesses on the street that will no doubt kick up a stink about possibly being demolished. Only way to get around this would be rebuilding them as part of the new complex (similar to the restaurants outside Marvel)

Good find. The gap is still there, but much smaller.

Shops between Lonsdale and Foster streets would need to be acquired to allow for the works, and Moorabool St tunnelled/decked over. Looking at the Players Stand, you need roughly 50m from the boundary line to the back of the stadium, which is about the same distance from the boundary to the east side of Moorabool St, so no way of keeping those shops realistically with a lane of traffic in one direction.

Pretty much makes the project a non starter unfortunately, and that's before even contemplating the soil condition of the petrol station. However, if all business agreed (and landlords), could be a good way to revitalise the precinct on that side of the ground.

Jealous - I'm still in Corangamite and so far this week alone we have received 3 letters via the post (all one party where she is fearing losing her seat). I've lost track of the amount of crap received via post or walkers this election
Tell me about. Getting this crap every day. How many millions do they piss away on this. Doubly so that i already voted 2 weeks ago.

Speaking of marginal electorates, I used to live in Corangamite before they changed the boundaries since the last election, and I now reside in the seat of Corio. One thing I have noticed is the distinct lack of electoral crap filling up my letterbox this time around.
We have found ourselves in Corangamite instead of Corio. Our letterbox is spewing out election material.

10289638-3x2-700x467.jpg

I think its a ball of string... perhaps you could put a tunnel under one side of the road .. but I doubt both sides...

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 7.18.27 pm.png

I think its a ball of string... perhaps you could put a tunnel under one side of the road .. but I doubt both sides...

View attachment 674448

Just looking at that view of Moorabool Street, the city-bound side of the road (right side for the out-of-towners) could be covered by the stadium as well as the faux-island and the Belmont-bound side could expand by swallowing the footpath and bike lane, and be a slim one-lane road through that section. Probably the best way to expand into Moorabool Street without squeezing out any businesses or covering the road completely

Just looking at that view of Moorabool Street, the city-bound side of the road (right side for the out-of-towners) could be covered by the stadium as well as the faux-island and the Belmont-bound side could expand by swallowing the footpath and bike lane, and be a slim one-lane road through that section. Probably the best way to expand into Moorabool Street without squeezing out any businesses or covering the road completely
Just do a Brunton Ave
Capture.PNG

We have found ourselves in Corangamite instead of Corio. Our letterbox is spewing out election material.

Apparently Labor is petrified of losing Corangamite.

Let me clarify, I'm not a Liberal or Labor voter.

I find this a last ditch effort by Labor utter desperation! I'm furious that the Club announced it + had Labor candidates, Cook, Selwood + Dangerfield in the photo op!!! 🤬🤬🤬

The comments on Geelong Cats' social media are scathing towards the Club!

I'm receiving huge amounts of political letters, pamphlets etc, which go straight into the recycling bin.

Had a chat with Barnaby Joyce at the supermarket, just now. Barnaby is always in our little town, chats to everyone, remembers everyone's name.

It's such an important election! I urge everyone to think seriously about the way they vote + remember Raena's non-political speech about what was done to Dusty's father

😜😜😜

IMG_7730.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any idea how wide that is? 4 cars ... 12 metres + then turning lane etc ..20Metres?
No Idea as to the width.
Could utilise the centre medium for support at Moorabool Street if it is too wide

Apparently Labor is petrified of losing Corangamite.

Let me clarify, I'm not a Liberal or Labor voter.

I find this a last ditch effort by Labor utter desperation! I'm furious that the Club announced it + had Labor candidates, Cook, Selwood + Dangerfield in the photo op!!! 🤬🤬🤬

The comments on Geelong Cats' social media are scathing towards the Club!

I'm receiving huge amounts of political letters, pamphlets etc, which go straight into the recycling bin.

Had a chat with Barnaby Joyce at the supermarket, just now. Barnaby is always in our little town, chats to everyone, remembers everyone's name.

It's such an important election! I urge everyone to think seriously about the way they vote + remember Raena's non-political speech about what was done to Dusty's father

😜😜😜

View attachment 674476

Corangamite is currently held by the Liberals, so technically Labour can't lose it but rather are trying to win the seat.

We also need to remember that while the club was involved in the announcement, that ultimately GMHBA stadium is owned & operated by the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust - a seperate entity to the GFC. The Stage 5 redevelopment also includes plans for Geelong Sports Museum, improved entrance at the northern end, as well as improved facilities for the Geelong Cricket Club. There's actually a fair bit for Stage 5 that's not focused purely on benefits to the GFC

Either political party could easily use it as a photo opportunity with the cricket club, but doubtful it would get as much media coverage as it does when they use the football club.

The only problem is that we have a Chinese restaurant, a service station, a sewing centre and a paint shop (among others) to worry about possibly blocking off. The compensation that would have to be paid out would be astronomical

Apparently Labor is petrified of losing Corangamite. Let me clarify, I'm not a Liberal or Labor voter.

I am a Labor voter, and I still found it disappointing that the club aligned itself like that. I have no issue in the club taking clear stances against things like racism or homophobia, but this was a bit much.

That area has been a swing seat for as long as I can remember, in both state and federal elections, which is why Kardinia Park is nice and shiny and the Western Oval is a shithole.

Barnaby's never had a problem with opening his mouth, it's shutting it that's the major issue!

I am a Labor voter, and I still found it disappointing that the club aligned itself like that. I have no issue in the club taking clear stances against things like racism or homophobia, but this was a bit much.

That area has been a swing seat for as long as I can remember, in both state and federal elections, which is why Kardinia Park is nice and shiny and the Western Oval is a shithole.

Barnaby's never had a problem with opening his mouth, it's shutting it that's the major issue!
The club isn't stupid. They would have done that in the hope the Libs go a step further.

Not that it's going to matter.

Id say most peopel see it for what it is ... a cynical exercise in serving the indiviual needs of the parties involved... One just has to absorb the tacky , shower required feeling that the whole production produces.. and push thru for the sake of getting the s5 done. Its required to get the stadium defacto finished.

I honestly doubt many supporters would change their vote.. but its another chances for the 2 minute grab on the media circus.. while Id love to see a new multiple purpose rectangular stadium announced , or 2nd level stadium that would be strongly female focused but also more local game level... I acknowledge its not going to have the same impact in a National election as being linked to our National sport at the elite level.

The only problem is that we have a Chinese restaurant, a service station, a sewing centre and a paint shop (among others) to worry about possibly blocking off. The compensation that would have to be paid out would be astronomical
Not to mention all the houses right behind it worth 800-1 mill each.
No-one is gonna want to live under the shadow of a giant grandstand.

Not to mention all the houses right behind it worth 800-1 mill each.
No-one is gonna want to live under the shadow of a giant grandstand.
Be costly to try to purchase enough of that area... probably cost 10's of millions... to some degree when you live there you know anything football you have to just live with like lights and crowds.. but a permanent structure not far from their residence.

Be costly to try to purchase enough of that area... probably cost 10's of millions... to some degree when you live there you know anything football you have to just live with like lights and crowds.. but a permanent structure not far from their residence.
Probably cost around 300 mill to aquire properties, planning, and to upgrade the road.
So around half a billion all up. Can't see it happening.

Probably cost around 300 mill to aquire properties, planning, and to upgrade the road.
So around half a billion all up. Can't see it happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back