News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

With Gold Coast playing a game in Darwin, and Melbourne playing one more game in Melbourne (10 MCG, 1 Alice Springs) there's a chance the cats may play 10 home games at KP in 2020.

Watch this space...

With Gold Coast playing a game in Darwin, and Melbourne playing one more game in Melbourne (10 MCG, 1 Alice Springs) there's a chance the cats may play 10 home games at KP in 2020.

Watch this space...
I'd say we will only play 7 or 8 KP home games in 2021 due to the redevelopment and lower capacity, so it would be nice to get that extra game this year in its place

I'd say we will only play 7 or 8 KP home games in 2021 due to the redevelopment and lower capacity, so it would be nice to get that extra game this year in its place
In the past the AFL didn't reduce our games in the season where construction occured, but the season after where the construction finished in april/may.

I'd hope in 2020 + 2021 we'd get 9-10 games, but in 2022 I'd expect we'd get 7-8.

The last T20 game is on the 22 October so hopefully demo is done by xmas.

In the past the AFL didn't reduce our games in the season where construction occured, but the season after where the construction finished in april/may.

I'd hope in 2020 + 2021 we'd get 9-10 games, but in 2022 I'd expect we'd get 7-8.

The last T20 game is on the 22 October so hopefully demo is done by xmas.
That's true - could all depend on how long construction takes and if it eats into the 2022(?) season by much

I'd love 10 games at home

State Gov has alloted $90m or so for construction. Planning works undergoing as we speak, but construction has to wait until the T20 world cup in October 2020.

thought it was reliant on federal money?

Anyway will look awesome when completed

hopefully the Gary Ablett grandstand and a statue of the two out front

thought it was reliant on federal money?
Think the State Gov underfunded it assuming Fed Labor would win and chip in, but considering the delay in construction I assume the funding gap can be found over the 3-4 year period since funding was announced to build completion.

Not football related but interesting to see the orientation of the cricket pitch has been adjusted ahead of the two BBL games in the next few weeks... it seems that the domestic games don’t have to be up to the same standard as ICC internationals, hence not needing the pitch on that strange angle, for now at least.

Will make for some even bigger scores one would think, provided the drop in wicket comes up okay.

Have also noticed that there is a second drop in wicket being prepared ahead of the T20 World Cup.

1BF9B4DA-57E4-4F07-B693-2E0DB9490B5C.jpeg
AB67D6DC-6D2E-4409-AD90-6D0111EB1AB4.jpeg D5A80643-D4BB-46BC-B8BB-7939D3D646F5.jpeg

That's really interesting because for all previous BBL or Aus matches it has run from light pole to light pole to meet boundary requirements

One thing I have found with that orientation is that it's a bit disorienting as a spectator, especially one who attends football matches at the venue - I sit Ablett Terrace for BBL matches (GA area), and while I'm looking straight down the ground it's not straight down the wicket. Have to get used to that perspective which I find difficult at times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Small article on developments - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...case-for-more-home-games-20191221-p53m2y.html
Key Takeaways:
* If fed government don't stump up the missing cash by mid-next year, plans will be scaled back
* Want 9 matches at KP in 2021 and 2022 (finish date May 2022)
* Long term want 11 games per year at KP. A social and economic pack is being put together for that, but the club will be ok with just 9
* Wants a commitment that KP host finals when cats scheduled to play interstate teams - notes that AFL's 'best fit' policy only applies to Geelong and no-one else

The Artist's Impressions that have been floating around the internet for a while now show a similar gap owing to the stairway into the Hickey Stand, similar to the Players Stand join

10289638-3x2-700x467.jpg

I think the club should try and be fairly quick in getting into Stage 6: demolishing and rebuilding the Hickey Stand over Moorabool Street. It's starting to look fairly average compared to the rest of the stadium. It would be difficult, but not completely impossible for Moorabool Street to become a tunnel under the new stand, but there's still the businesses on the street that will no doubt kick up a stink about possibly being demolished. Only way to get around this would be rebuilding them as part of the new complex (similar to the restaurants outside Marvel)

Maybe we could do something like the Gabba

Shows that you don't necessarily need to shut half of Moorabool St. to build a new Hickey Stand (not that there's a realistic chance of that happening in the immediate future, unfortunately)

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 4.06.03 pm.png

This sort of design would work pretty well. The stand could link with the newer stands to give a uniform pitch to the seating and link all the walkways around the ground. It could also allow for a higher stand than we have now which, along with the extra seats in the infilled gaps, would boost capacity well beyond what the Hickey can provide now... perhaps 42-45,000 would be a reality.There's got to be a thousand or more seats possible in each of those 2 gaps the Hickey design left us with.

IMG_2354.png
I'm sure if the Moorabool St stand had been the last of the developments and not the first we would have had a uniform design around the whole ground. As much as i like the Cat's Claws design it really costs us capacity.

Also, a rebuild would allow for a widening of that wing. We only need to stretch the flat boundary about 8 metres and it is suddenly the same width as the Adelaide Oval.There'd be a lot less justification for complaints about or "strange, narrow" ground but we'd still have a unique setup that afforded a big home-ground advantage.
Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 4.28.34 pm.png Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 4.29.03 pm.png

Another option to extend the moorabool st wing is go brunton ave style.

50598469.jpg

I am sure that the business on the other side of Moorabool Street would really like that.:rolleyes:

Or maybe a billionaire will die and bequeath their entire fortune to the Kardinia Park Trust will it's sole purpose to rebuild the stadium starting from scratch.

So knockdown the current stadium and everything that goes with it and build a brand new stadium at suitable dimensions for both football with 2 genuine wings and to meet international cricket standards with the pitch running the length of the ground & not at a stupid angle

I am sure that the business on the other side of Moorabool Street would really like that.:rolleyes:
Done cheaply at the MCG because there’s no aesthetic reason to spend more money.

If Moorabool St was reduced to 1 lane each way, and the off street parking was removed, it could be done quite nicely whilst retaining the moorabool st shops (and making them more accessible on match day).

Some of the above ... nice to .."if only" about .... but imo zero chance of happening ..perhaps ever... At least till concrete cancer hits all the recent development. Not everyone in Geelong is centred around KP..its not a G .. some do not like what has already been spent on it by Gov.

Really Id think to spend the type of money that would be needed ..and then to not end up with a MCG sized ground playing surface or something similar would be a total over capitalisation of a VFL ground and position that is probably just about reached its max.

It would be more realistic to theorise about building a mini docklands somewhere like Eastern Park or the Trotting track than to talk about reducing Moorabool St to 2 lanes ... So much cost for so little gain. Just how often would it ever be filled to capacity. At least the G has a GF etc every know and then..

Last edited:
Some of the above ... nice to .."if only" about .... but imo zero chance of happening ..perhaps ever... At least till concrete cancer hits all the recent development. Not everyone in Geelong is centred around KP..its not a G .. some do not like what has already been spent on it by Gov.

Really Id think to spend the type of money that would be needed ..and then to not end up with a MCG sized ground playing surface or something similar would be a total over capitalisation of a VFL ground and position that is probably just about reached its max.

It would be more realistic to theorise about building a mini docklands somewhere like Eastern Park or the Trotting track than to talk about reducing Moorabool St to 2 lanes ... So much cost for so little gain. Just how often would it ever be filled to capacity. At least the G has a GF etc every know and then..

Yep. If the cats went to the government for funds to rebuild that stand and it was open to public vote I'd vote against it.

Yep. If the cats went to the government for funds to rebuild that stand and it was open to public vote I'd vote against it.

But it wouldn't be the football club requesting further funds, it's the KP Trust that would be doing so and they are independent to the club and other tenants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back