News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

But it wouldn't be the football club requesting further funds, it's the KP Trust that would be doing so and they are independent to the club and other tenants

You we need some sort of cost benefit study with a strong evidence of short term payback and eventual growth in earnings... AS it stands once they finsih city stand is done ... I think KP will struggle to get more than 35G each week ..unless you start giving seast away in the less sold areas.

On this site there was a post about what could have been done way beack when ..maybe 1930's when they first moved to KP or a bit later that would have involved taking both grounds out and having one bigger central ground.... if they had done that then ... all this would be elementary now.. I think the truth is there was never meant to have a stand on the Moorabool street side..it was always meant to be standing room.

You we need some sort of cost benefit study with a strong evidence of short term payback and eventual growth in earnings... AS it stands once they finsih city stand is done ... I think KP will struggle to get more than 35G each week ..unless you start giving seast away in the less sold areas.

On this site there was a post about what could have been done way beack when ..maybe 1930's when they first moved to KP or a bit later that would have involved taking both grounds out and having one bigger central ground.... if they had done that then ... all this would be elementary now.. I think the truth is there was never meant to have a stand on the Moorabool street side..it was always meant to be standing room.
We could fill the stadium no problem if the afl made the hawks, bombers etc play down here. We can’t fill it playing low drawing teams like the roos, port, saints etc.

We could fill the stadium no problem if the afl made the hawks, bombers etc play down here. We can’t fill it playing low drawing teams like the roos, port, saints etc.

Honestly doubt that... and that we would draw much bigger crowds V roos or saints in melb means that the underlying patronage is there.

Most grounds do not have 100% attendance even when sold out... whether we will ever sell out a 40,000 stadium in geelong is another question

WE seem to have a different arraignment than something like the Premier League... dont some of their clubs have small venues ...QPR for example?... at least in soccerr all the grounds are a specific size..
Yes, QPR is the one venue I've watched a game at. It's very "compact".
But soccer grounds can vary.
In the UK Prem league length are from 100 metres up to 106. Width, 64 up to 71.
Here's the guidelines...

When it comes to the length of a pitch it must be between a minimum of 100 yards, or 90 metres, and a maximum of 130 yards, or 120 metres. The width is similarly vague in its specifications. A pitch can be a minimum of 50 yards, or 45 metres, in width and a maximum of 100 yards, or 90 metres.

And NRL fields also vary in size - they are a standard size from goal line to goal line, but the in goal areas vary and that does have an impact

You see it with away teams when they travel to a venue where the in goal area is not as deep that they can have an issue with over kicking into the goal area

And NRL fields also vary in size - they are a standard size from goal line to goal line, but the in goal areas vary and that does have an impact

You see it with away teams when they travel to a venue where the in goal area is not as deep that they can have an issue with over kicking into the goal area
Home ground advantage should be about more than the stands and the crowds that fill them.
If every ground had the same dimensions, we'd be complaining about turning our game into a homogenous bore fest.
We've already lost the wind at Windy Hill, the mud at Moorabbin and the whiff of gas at Arden St.
I'm all for getting a few more people into KP, but turning it into an MCG clone? No thanks.

Home ground advantage should be about more than the stands and the crowds that fill them.
If every ground had the same dimensions, we'd be complaining about turning our game into a homogenous bore fest.
We've already lost the wind at Windy Hill, the mud at Moorabbin and the whiff of gas at Arden St.
I'm all for getting a few more people into KP, but turning it into an MCG clone? No thanks.
For sure. And different grounds bring out strengths of differnt players IMO.
I liked Waverly! I know you couldnt see the other side of the ground, but it had good footy.
I don't think the MCG is the optimal size for footy anyway. Dunno why everyone would wanna copy that.

I went to the big bash at Carrara last night,an amazing number of free tickets there I'm thinking,I ran into a dozen or so people I knew and and non of us paid to get in.ground staff freebies was my ticket in this time I've never had to pay.I was wonder if this is a QLD thing,how ever I always manage a free ticket for KP games mostly in the Doug Wade stand or there's always the past players I still have contacts.

I went to the big bash at Carrara last night,an amazing number of free tickets there I'm thinking,I ran into a dozen or so people I knew and and non of us paid to get in.ground staff freebies was my ticket in this time I've never had to pay.I was wonder if this is a QLD thing,how ever I always manage a free ticket for KP games mostly in the Doug Wade stand or there's always the past players I still have contacts.
Saw an interview with Robert Walls once about when he was coaching Brissy.
He walked into Maccas wearing a Brissy cap and some guy walked up to him and goes Oh you like the Bears. Here's some tickets. I got em for free and am never gonna use them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, QPR is the one venue I've watched a game at. It's very "compact".
But soccer grounds can vary.
In the UK Prem league length are from 100 metres up to 106. Width, 64 up to 71.
Here's the guidelines...

When it comes to the length of a pitch it must be between a minimum of 100 yards, or 90 metres, and a maximum of 130 yards, or 120 metres. The width is similarly vague in its specifications. A pitch can be a minimum of 50 yards, or 45 metres, in width and a maximum of 100 yards, or 90 metres.

thanks.. shows my lack of knowledge on their game

yes.. true but not a great way to justify the money spent. spend a 100m forfreeseats

It will never be an MCG clone ... but ideally the playing surface should be far closer to the MCG ..which is the dafault size... just like they did at the WA ground when tey had a chance with a rebuild. WE will not get the chance to do that however...we are stuck witha ground that is debatably a hinderance in winning big games at the MCG. It would ..or should never be a ground of stands like an MCG or he WA ground.. Clone .there is only one G

It will never be an MCG clone ... but ideally the playing surface should be far closer to the MCG ..which is the dafault size... just like they did at the WA ground when tey had a chance with a rebuild. WE will not get the chance to do that however...we are stuck witha ground that is debatably a hinderance in winning big games at the MCG. It would ..or should never be a ground of stands like an MCG or he WA ground.. Clone .there is only one G
I dunno about the home ground advantage/hindrance.
We only play 9 games there and we'd beat 90% of the teams we play there anywhere in Vic.
I reckon it only gives us one extra win a year.
Interstate teams play 11 or 12 games on their home decks.
For me its the noise and atmosphere at the start of big games not the size of the oval that hurts us.

I dunno about the home ground advantage/hindrance.
We only play 9 games there and we'd beat 90% of the teams we play there anywhere in Vic.
I reckon it only gives us one extra win a year.
Interstate teams play 11 or 12 games on their home decks.
For me its the noise and atmosphere at the start of big games not the size of the oval that hurts us.

Its been debated and highlighted by many that the narrowness of the ground make it easier to defend. Truth or not ..it gets raised almost every year now... and how it relates as we play the best team on the biggest ground when we play mostly weaker teams or OOV teams that find the ground difficult...

Its been debated and highlighted by many that the narrowness of the ground make it easier to defend. Truth or not ..it gets raised almost every year now... and how it relates as we play the best team on the biggest ground when we play mostly weaker teams or OOV teams that find the ground difficult...
That is true but I still think say just this year for example we still would of won all the games we did there anywhere in Vic.
Maybe give us one extra win cause you never know.
I think its more the pressure we put on ourselves by whinging about not playing at KP and undermining our own confidence before a big game hurts us more than actually not playing there.

True, but in my opinion it is a bit overstated.
We actually play the MCG very well, as our record implies.
But many oppo teams have nightmares about KP.
And, as always, a good team learns to win anywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back