News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

No it would be because of the world cup cricket stuff around i think. The money has been pledged by the government already. It’s not like the government isn’t going to cough up the dough. Construction projects like this are exactly what they want to kick start the economy.
The money has been promised, and some (~$10m) has been paid for engineering and planning works, but the bulk of the cash was due to be allocated and paid in the 2020 state budget, allowing construction to commence after the CWC in Nov 2020. Until a state budget occurs, there is no cash.

A Sep-Nov 2021 start date won't be done in time for Nov 2022 which is when the CWC is now scheduled.

The money has been promised, and some (~$10m) has been paid for engineering and planning works, but the bulk of the cash was due to be allocated and paid in the 2020 state budget, allowing construction to commence after the CWC in Nov 2020. Until a state budget occurs, there is no cash.

A Sep-Nov 2021 start date won't be done in time for Nov 2022 which is when the CWC is now scheduled.
Then why did Carter say the development is starting next year?

Then why did Carter say the development is starting next year?
Because he'll have the knowledge that once the 2020 state budget is handed down, the money will be transferred to the right accounts to allow progress to occur.

The cats don't care (that much) about the CWC, so they would prefer to start construction when it least minimises the AFL season. I'd assume that by the time the money flows and the final contracts are signed, the earliest that materials could be on site would be march/april, therefore the club would prefer to delay construction to September when the season has ended.

Maybe the club believe that they can fast track construction and have it done by Nov 2022 to allow for the CWC, but I wouldn't count on it.

Because he'll have the knowledge that once the 2020 state budget is handed down, the money will be transferred to the right accounts to allow progress to occur.

The cats don't care (that much) about the CWC, so they would prefer to start construction when it least minimises the AFL season. I'd assume that by the time the money flows and the final contracts are signed, the earliest that materials could be on site would be march/april, therefore the club would prefer to delay construction to September when the season has ended.

Maybe the club believe that they can fast track construction and have it done by Nov 2022 to allow for the CWC, but I wouldn't count on it.
From what i can recall previous stages were done in less than 12 months. I think anyway.

From what i can recall previous stages were done in less than 12 months. I think anyway.
Most were done in ~18 months. Demo work done before xmas in Sep-Oct, earth works in Nov-Dec with proper construction starting in Jan straight after Xmas with opening the following May, in rounds 7-10.

Not holding my breath on state funds in this climate
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

These big construction projects are exactly what the government has been talking about to get people into jobs, and get the economy going. Do you not listen to anything they say? They have been quite clear that big construction jobs are exactly what they will do. They have been very clear on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

These big construction projects are exactly what the government has been talking about to get people into jobs, and get the economy going. Do you not listen to anything they say? They have been quite clear that big construction jobs are exactly what they will do. They have been very clear on this.
True. Gotta say even though I'm in construction, I'd hope our country could be smarter and far, far more innovative than just sticking cranes up to stimulate the economy and create jobs.
But yes stuff like this is exactly what they want 3rd wave or not. It will happen.
Done deal.

True. Gotta say even though I'm in construction, I'd hope our country could be smarter and far, far more innovative than just sticking cranes up to stimulate the economy and create jobs.
But yes stuff like this is exactly what they want 3rd wave or not. It will happen.
Done deal.

They do need to be smart about it, and build infrastructure that is going to be needed in the future.

GMHBA Stadium to become a 40,000 seat venue following $142m from state government
A $40 million injection into the final stage of the Kardinia Park redevelopment will make the stadium the best in regional Australia and attract more international events, the state government says. This is what it means for the Cats and the whole of Geelong.

A $40 million injection into the final stage of the Kardinia Park redevelopment will make the stadium the best in regional Australia and attract more international events, the state government says.

Bellarine MP Lisa Neville said it’s hoped the Geelong Football Club could play all its home games at GMHBA stadium once the $142 million redevelopment is complete in time for the 2023 AFL season.

“Our expectation would be with 40,000 (capacity and) our investment in there, we would like to see the home games all at Kardinia Park.”

The pre-budget announcement will see stadium’s capacity boosted and will add:

– A TWO-tier northern stand to replace the Ford Stand and Ablett Terrace;

– SPORTS museum, retail space, function room and high-speed free public Wi-Fi;

– REGIONAL cricket hub outside the stadium; and

– NEW change rooms and club rooms for the Geelong Cricket Club and an entry plaza at the northern end of the stadium.

Artist impressions Kardinia Park - Plaza entrance render
Artist impressions Kardinia Park - Plaza entrance render
Ms Neville said work on the project was expected to start late next year following the 2021 AFL season.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet.svg

Stream the world's best shows on BINGE New Bingers get a 14-day free trial
“We’re not holding back with this investment. This is an opportunity to get this right and finish the job properly, and have everything that (Geelong Football) Club need,” Ms Neville said.

“But also broader support to cricket, the community and to the trust that runs (the stadium), and to be able to attract more events to the stadium.

“We see this as an opportunity to create a really active space that would also create some ongoing jobs.”

Artist impressions Kardinia Park - Plaza Cricket Hub Aerial Render
Artist impressions Kardinia Park - Plaza Cricket Hub Aerial Render

It sounds like it.

Adelaide Oval has ironclad contracts for 22 games (11 Crows, 11 Port). It's about time Geelong City Council did the same thing.
Yeah if governments are spending hundreds of millions of dollars 9 games a year + a couple of cricket and soccer matches just isn't enough.
Massive waste of money.
Needs to be some sort of contract, as you say like the AO.

We have spent this much money and still have an irregular shaped ground. Ironically I think its thinness is great for those on the wing ..make the play very close... those at either end not so great as its as far away as an action on any afl ground. Hope they are confident they can fill this new stand..because the Players stand is rarely full.

We have spent this much money and still have an irregular shaped ground.
Unfortunately no government would commit to a full rebuild, wanted to do it piecemeal style to get a new promise every election cycle (or 2).

That's politics for you.....thinking about the next election at the expense of long term planning

It sounds like it.

Adelaide Oval has ironclad contracts for 22 games (11 Crows, 11 Port). It's about time Geelong City Council did the same thing.
Don't know why the Bulldogs don't play there as well

We have spent this much money and still have an irregular shaped ground. Ironically I think its thinness is great for those on the wing ..make the play very close... those at either end not so great as its as far away as an action on any afl ground. Hope they are confident they can fill this new stand..because the Players stand is rarely full.

They'd have to remove everything at Kardinia Park if they were to widen it.

They can't widen it on the Moorabool St side, they'd have to do it the side where St. Mary's and GCC grounds are and it'd encroach onto those grounds.

They'd have to remove everything at Kardinia Park if they were to widen it.

They can't widen it on the Moorabool St side, they'd have to do it the side where St. Mary's and GCC grounds are and it'd encroach onto those grounds.
Tunnel Moorabool St

Remove this Banner Ad

Back