News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Then what happens to all the businesses and houses there? Do they just get knocked down?
Alternatively, do what they did with Brunton Ave.
Build the stand above the road.
Houses and businesses can stay and ground can be widened

They'd have to remove everything at Kardinia Park if they were to widen it.

They can't widen it on the Moorabool St side, they'd have to do it the side where St. Mary's and GCC grounds are and it'd encroach onto those grounds.

Its an old discussion point ..and we are stuck with the ground as it is now ..probably for the next 20 plus years... Back in the 1930's I think they looked at it .. shows how a choice can flow on down.. Id say they would have to consider another chunk of ground to do it right now.. build a new ground from scratch.

Don't know why the Bulldogs don't play there as well
I heard an interview with Peter Gordon a few years ago and he was asked this. Said that they would make substantially more money and it wouldn't be too bad for their supporters, however the AFL needed them to play at Docklands so that the AFL can fulfill their own obligations and that having a good relationship with the AFL was paramount. I cant see that changing anytime soon

Last edited:
Its an old discussion point ..and we are stuck with the ground as it is now ..probably for the next 20 plus years... Back in the 1930's I think they looked at it .. shows how a choice can flow on down.. Id say they would have to consider another chunk of ground to do it right now.. build a new ground from scratch.
What? years before they left Corio Oval?

What? years before they left Corio Oval?

I had to look it up .. not 1930's but 1940's..

Posted by RogersResults ..

"During a later visit in May 1946, McBrien said that League football should continue at Kardinia Park, and that a new oval and appointments should be constructed on the site of the Western Oval at the Park. He said that in planning for a ground in that location, an area of 10 acres should be reserved for the purpose, which was similar in size to the Melbourne Cricket Ground."

The two ovals at the time in Kardinia Park were called (and probably officially still are) the Western and Eastern Oval. The Western Oval was approximately were St Mary's FC is currently based (there was also a rubgy pitch up towards Kilgour street). There was also an idea around at the time that all ovals where possible should confirm to the the dimensions of the MCG. The infrastructure at the Eastern Oval in 1946 was rudimentary with one grandstand and limited terracing with the proximity to Moorabool Street limiting expansion. The grandstand being made of wood could have relatively easily been moved to a more centrally located oval in Kardinia Park. (When the East Melbourne Cricket Ground was demolished in the early 1920's to make way for railway yards, the main grandstand was transported to Glenferrie Oval in Hawthorn.)

Only 6 years later there were plans for a 150,000 capacity stadium at Princes Park to host the Olympic Games which would thereafter become VFL headquarters.

They'd have to remove everything at Kardinia Park if they were to widen it.

They can't widen it on the Moorabool St side, they'd have to do it the side where St. Mary's and GCC grounds are and it'd encroach onto those grounds.

should have done it during the previous redevelopment
There was plenty of room

I've been thinking about the moorabbool st problem. Pricey (probably $50m) but doable.

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 5.19.28 pm.png

Buy and clear the two blocks between Foster St and Lonsdale St. Make the ground level car park. Servo probably makes it difficult. Build a new "ground level" that becomes a concourse over Moorabool st. The restaurants can be re-built at this level, facing the new stand which is cantilevered over it, like the MCG and Brunton Ave.

20 M? Thats a long was short of the road in between the grounds id have thought. Probably need to go down and measure it.

GMHBA is 116m wide, MCG is 138m wide.

I'm just going off of MCG dimensions. Even if it gets widened 10m, it will still have the same problem.

I've been thinking about the moorabbool st problem. Pricey (probably $50m) but doable.

View attachment 1005716

Buy and clear the two blocks between Foster St and Lonsdale St. Make the ground level car park. Servo probably makes it difficult. Build a new "ground level" that becomes a concourse over Moorabool st. The restaurants can be re-built at this level, facing the new stand which is cantilevered over it, like the MCG and Brunton Ave.

Would we really wanna disrupt a bunch of local business and houses to widen the ground?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but stmarys is further away than 20m.

It will not matter .,.nothing will be done unless they mandate grounds to be a certain size

It doesn't have to 20m or less away for the stadium to encroach onto St. Marys.

20m of where the outer fence around the stadium, not necessarily the stand, pushes back onto everything they have there. The netball courts, the car park, the little umpires building. That all then affects St. Marys. I doubt they just build over the things there without pushing some it back.

As long with the development visiting supporters can more seats to sit in but knowing Geelong visiting supporters will be giving an extra 100 seats somewhere and be made to a huge fee to sit in them like what goes on atm.
Well you have got another political party to bend over you.
But remember you will still play finals at the MCG and that’s something you can’t control.

View attachment 1005716

Would be into the hundreds of millions I'd have thought, that involves paying out every business and relocating them to a suitable place (and paying for the time in between), ripping up and then replacing the road, diverting the traffic, and then building the stand as well. And, one of the businesses is a petrol station, so it'd have to sit dormant for years before anything can be built there.

It's a nice idea, but just not feasible.

As long with the development visiting supporters can more seats to sit in but knowing Geelong visiting supporters will be giving an extra 100 seats somewhere and be made to a huge fee to sit in them like what goes on atm.
But remember you will still play finals at the MCG and that’s something you can’t control.

Given that our stadium works in a similar way to an interstate team, I'd say we're very accomodating for opposition fans, given there is the cheer squad bay in the Ablett Terrace and a huge chunk under the main scoreboard solely for opposition members (far more than is offered at interstate venues for opposition members). And we all pay the 'huge fee' too, we don't stop anyone at the gate and say 'you're an opposition fan, pay an extra $20 please'.

Is this a sober post?

North will only come down when the roof is installed as part of stage 27. No need to worry just yet.

If we allocate 100 seats for North what are we going to do with the 93 spare seats?

Should I get the Tom Browne Twitter translator to help with this post...

I've said it forever. Any idea of knocking down a stand to go over moorabool st is stupid. And a complete waste of money.
I'd vote against it.

The stadium is a waste of money as it is. It's a white elephant.
Get more events into it.

Ascetics of the aerial view should never come into it.

You guys are dreaming.

It's a nice idea, but just not feasible.
As I said, ideal solution if money is no problem. Wouldn't require the road to be diverted, concrete pillars on both sides of the road would do the job. Agree though, the servo and relocating businesses (even if temporary) is no game anyone wants to play.

The simplest is probably to cantilever the stand over the road without needing to divert anything. Like the GABBA, which hangs over half the road.

Would we really wanna disrupt a bunch of local business and houses to widen the ground?
See above, but there's no houses in that stretch, just businesses.

Ascetics of the aerial view should never come into it.
Not about aesthetics, it's about the fact that 40% of the ground (where you also make the most money, on the wing) is severely capacity limited. So gotta figure out a solution that's cost effective but actually creates some more capacity.

The stadium is only a white elephant (your words, not mine) because it's in a weird middle category for stadium capacity. 45k is probably where you'd want it to be ideally.

Because he'll have the knowledge that once the 2020 state budget is handed down, the money will be transferred to the right accounts to allow progress to occur.

The cats don't care (that much) about the CWC, so they would prefer to start construction when it least minimises the AFL season. I'd assume that by the time the money flows and the final contracts are signed, the earliest that materials could be on site would be march/april, therefore the club would prefer to delay construction to September when the season has ended.

Maybe the club believe that they can fast track construction and have it done by Nov 2022 to allow for the CWC, but I wouldn't count on it.

Is it up to the footy club or the Kardinia Park Trust ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back