News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the cats and going to the footy but it seems like a massive overspend on a ground hardly used while the Geelong cbd area is third world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My recollection is that the original plans from the club was for a 50k capacity stadium but the league would not agree to it and said it had to be kept to 40k.
I'm pretty sure a larger capacity (although closer to 45K than 50K) by the gov was promised - on the proviso that Australia won a world cup bid - Australia failed so the extra capacity did not go ahead.

Looks like Stage 5 demolition has started this week.

The end of an era! The first place I ever saw the Cats play, entering at 3/4 time for a free last quarter at the age of six. And my seats for most of the past 22 seasons.

I would love to claim a piece of old signage or similar as a souvenir... If anyone is walking past and is able to grab something at some stage, let me know!

The end of an era!
The good news is that there will be standing bays in the new stand, so some of the heritage of the stand will be kept.

It was only 20 years ago that you could stand on the moorabool wing with a can in your hand, how quickly KP has changed.

Some of the concrete terrace is now getting demolished, will try and get a photo later
Stuck in Melbourne, so any photos would be greatly appreciated.

So is the new City end going to be the Ablett stand with a statue of 2 x Gary’s at the entrance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And, some new digital signage at the main entrance.
Looks good. They upgraded the internal LED signage to be permanent this year too, makes it much easier for sponsors and information to be changed from AFL to AFLW to BBL, Aleague etc.

Bye bye Ford Stand...
Gone but not forgotten. The city end bar was always a favourite of mine with the wall heaters.

How likely that the works will be done by this time next year for the T20 world cup? Geelong is supposed to host games I believe.

How likely that the works will be done by this time next year for the T20 world cup? Geelong is supposed to host games I believe.
Not a chance unfortunately. These projects have taken ~18 months to complete (Sep '21 to Apr '23 roughly). The construction was delayed 12 months when the T20 world cup was meant to be played in Oct/Nov '20 (construction pushed to Sep '21 due to original WC scheduling, T20 WC pushed to Oct/Nov '22 due to Covid) but they couldn't keep delaying it.

Looks good. They upgraded the internal LED signage to be permanent this year too, makes it much easier for sponsors and information to be changed from AFL to AFLW to BBL, Aleague etc.

...and much harder to see the play in a night game if your seat is low-ish to the ground. Too bright and distracting, I gave up my seat because of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back