Toast Go Dees and Young Number 4!

Remove this Banner Ad

"Well, you know, if a Melbourne Demons supporter is a stereotype of someone who enjoys the good things in life and has a refined palate then so be it," Mr Trumble said.

"I'll take that - and I would hope that Melbourne supporters would identify with that."

But the food platter wasn't the only thing in the image that gained national attention.

Mr Trumble's friend, who was sitting next to him wearing a blazer with elbow patches and a feathered fedora, was also a star attraction with many asking if his attire was worn for the occasion.

"That's just his usual get-up," Mr Trumble explained. "He's another keen Melbourne Dees supporter as well."

Yup, it's time to get out the cheese platter this Sunday.

I wonder how many Melbourne supporters on BF fit the stereotype?
I'll take a good cheese platter with suitable wine pairing over beer and...... what do the unwashed eat with beer?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll take a good cheese platter with suitable wine pairing over beer and...... what do the unwashed eat with beer?
So I'll comfortably admit I never drink beer at the football nor eat the food. I also don't go to Etihad, I find it really sub par as a stadium. No atmosphere and getting there via train bothers me. Richmond is just so much more convenient. There is also no decent pubs near by. There was one I've been to once, but it was filth.

I'll have a few beers pre footy, normally at the corner or Richmond Club, and get lunch as well. I'll only drink if I am in MCC and there isn't Carlton draught, fat yak, or any other common beer on tap. It's got to be decent.

It sounds pretty snobbish, but I don't drink much so I like to enjoy it when I do.

The fascist tabloid.
Lol, i can't remember, i was about 8 at the time. I think she swore by ABC news.... or The Australian at a stretch.

I generally just glance at The Age as its not paywalled. For anything outside Oz Reuters, the independant, the economist ect ect.

I'm not from Melbourne originally so I have always wondered about the supporter group stereotypes and whether they are more historical and don't really apply.

Since living in Melbourne the past 5 years, I've discovered that asking whether the stereotype is real and current isn't as simple as a yes/no question.

As with all generalisations, of course it isn't uniformly true.

But... as with all stereotypes, it doesn't totally come from nowhere. There is a kind of vibe about supporter groups. If ours is 'toffs' that may not seem so great, but I figure it is better than Carlton (organised criminals) Collingwood (disorganised criminals) Richmond (fringe of society dwellers in pool-halls across the road from Centrelink services) Bulldogs (slightly sickly blue-collar heros) Hawks (bandwagoners) Saints (general freaks) Essendon (mental issues) and Norf (who?).

I'm not sure where I fit in. I always get a pie at the MCG. It's my pie time. But I admit when I saw this guy I did suddenly think 'what a great idea'...

How did he get the cheese knife past security? I was let past with a big metal bowl once, but that was because the bloke was being nice because it was an overpriced dog bowl that I had just bought at the demon shop with stickers on it saying "Melbourne" and he made me promise not to Frisbee it on the ground during the match (after the match was apparently okay though).

How did he get the cheese knife past security?
My old man snuck a proper chef's knife in last year. Hid it in a rolled up newspaper he was carrying in his hands, security did that scanner thing but that was just his arms/legs/torso so it missed the knife.

Wily old bastard.

My dad's mental, obviously I cracked it at him but at the same time, respect where it's due. You never know when you're going to need a 20 centimetre blade in a public space.

More like if there is is nothing to write about then write about nothing . Much prefer this than some made up scandal
Speaking of being about nothing. This whole situation is like a Seinfeld episode. George is invited to the MCC by his boss and gets to bring a friend. He invites Kramer who brings a cheese platter to the game much to Georges dismay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back