Opinion Go Get The Best Inside Mid Available

Remove this Banner Ad

Powell-Pepper, yes I know he is bit of a plonker of a bloke and not great with foot skills, but he would also cost considerably less than Ollie Wines (both salary cap and trading wise) and he would possibly flourish with Eddie , SPS and Jack Martin etc

He is a tough Unit who takes crap from no one and could also be used as an Enforcer.

The more I think about it, the more SPP makes sense!
I was going to suggest SPP. Physical player and not just an inside mid, has some run to him.

He's a d*ckhead but having said that we don't have any of that sort. Maybe our list could handle him, it definitely felt like a plan for a while to get nothing but good kids. You need a bit of that character in your list to be successfull imo.

Ollie is still my no.1 choice though.

I'd get SPP and play him on a half forward flank, rotating through the midfield as we did with Robinson and Tommy Bell.

I'd consider trading someone out if needed to acquire Papley.

I was going to suggest SPP. Physical player and not just an inside mid, has some run to him.

He's a d*ckhead but having said that we don't have any of that sort. Maybe our list could handle him, it definitely felt like a plan for a while to get nothing but good kids. You need a bit of that character in your list to be successfull imo.

In my opinion, that is part of our current problem. Too many gentleman, not enough of those 'Franchina' types who get under the opposition's skin.

Not condoning on field violence at all, but We need more on field physicality and stop (esp our young kids) being pushed around like rag dolls.

In my opinion, that is part of our current problem. Too many gentleman, not enough of those 'Franchina' types who get under the opposition's skin.

Not condoning on field violence at all, but We need more on field physicality and stop (esp our young kids) being pushed around like rag dolls.
All the premiership teams have a of sh*thead player or 2 about. It's not even about violence, it's just an attitude and swagger they can bring.

Just off the top of my head, the last few winners, Richmond has Dusty, Eagles have McGovern, Dogs had Libbers the Hawks 3-peat had any number of them. I can't think of 1 on our list. Again, those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure if I actually looked at the lists I could find more.

edit Thinking back the Geelong dynasty team had several as well, back even further the Lions had a bunch.

All the premiership teams have a of sh*thead player or 2 about. It's not even about violence, it's just an attitude and swagger they can bring.

Just off the top of my head, the last few winners, Richmond has Dusty, Eagles have McGovern, Dogs had Libbers the Hawks 3-peat had any number of them. I can't think of 1 on our list. Again, those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure if I actually looked at the lists I could find more.

edit Thinking back the Geelong dynasty team had several as well, back even further the Lions had a bunch.

Our last premiership side had Diesel, Dean, Brown, Spalding. Real mongrel in that side to go along with the talent.

No mongrel in our defence at the moment. Weiters is a quiet achiever, Jones the same, Plow the same, Doc is a clever leader and tough as hell, but he doesn't sort out the opposition physically. Neither does Simmo or Samo. Newman has potential and Willo is our great Blue hope in terms of getting in to the face of opponents. I come back to Stocker again as being in the same vein as Willo.

JSOS will get involved in a fracas and occasionally Big H will join in, but they are not enforcers. LOB surprised me last year a little as he started getting in faces and I didn't think that was his game. Cuners, Dow, Fish, Murph .... nope.

Perhaps this is one of the things in favour of Gov. He will use his body, he will needle opponents and taunt them after a goal. Levi is a tough bastard too and will get involved in wrestling matches and the like, but he is a bit of a gentle giant at heart I think.

Some of our players still act like they are kids, when they are now men at 21, 22, 23 years old.

Our character policy was necessary many years back, but it has run way past its use by date. We have been way too introverted for way too long.

I remember when we fell out of the finals in 1997 and spent a couple of years in the wilderness, looking rather soft. It took the likes of Aaron Hamill and Adrian Hickmott running through people at will and the media starting calling us the toughest side in the AFL. Bloody hell, that was a brief but exciting time, despite not having any success from it. Physicality puts opponents off their game and the skilled players capitalise.

Given the courage of David Teague as a player, he'd have to realise this.

Last edited:
Some of our players still act like they are kids, when they are now men at 21, 22, 23 years old.
This is a very poignant issue and one that I haven't been able to encapsulate and think of as succinctly as you've just done. But that's exactly how I feel. Might seem a strong way to praise what you said but it's hit smack in the middle of how I feel but haven't been able to verbalise.

Silvagni seems to be one who stepped up from kid to man early on. He never really looked out of place but the way he's played has changed. He's much more physical and isn't afraid of anyone, hence him taking Fyfe one on one. A lot of our younger talent I don't think play with the confidence, borderline arrogance, of "I'm going to take the bugger on". We have guys who will stand up for themselves like you mentioned, but how many of them really take the initiative to impose themselves? Only a handful.

It's the thing that impressed me most about Rowell last weekend, yes the goals and disposal numbers are flashy, but I was most impressed by him taking Shuey on head to head, and not just that, he put a hand in his chest and took him on physically. There's only a few guys on our whole list who would do that, let alone young guys.

Like you said, just think of how many of our last premiership side played with that arrogance... Even as president Sticks was still doing it! We are Carlton, f the rest... Whether or not you like the president saying that, I'd like a few of our players now to play like it.

This is a very poignant issue and one that I haven't been able to encapsulate and think of as succinctly as you've just done. But that's exactly how I feel. Might seem a strong way to praise what you said but it's hit smack in the middle of how I feel but haven't been able to verbalise.

Silvagni seems to be one who stepped up from kid to man early on. He never really looked out of place but the way he's played has changed. He's much more physical and isn't afraid of anyone, hence him taking Fyfe one on one. A lot of our younger talent I don't think play with the confidence, borderline arrogance, of "I'm going to take the bugger on". We have guys who will stand up for themselves like you mentioned, but how many of them really take the initiative to impose themselves? Only a handful.

It's the thing that impressed me most about Rowell last weekend, yes the goals and disposal numbers are flashy, but I was most impressed by him taking Shuey on head to head, and not just that, he put a hand in his chest and took him on physically. There's only a few guys on our whole list who would do that, let alone young guys.

I think you hit the nail on the head twice.

1. JSOS will add a lot this week because he will not be intimidated by GEELONG!!!! We need players who are not overawed and will have a serious craic from the opening siren. They set the standard. (And I think willo is also a front foot type...)

2. F**K overpaying for Wines and Crouch. Get in Rowells ear now and make him a grandfather offer. He is contracted for two years but if he won't resign beyond 2021 at GCFC they may be tempted to accept our two firsts for their two seconds and Rowell in an early release. That would shake the AFL World and show swagger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see Jack (SOS) and Jack (Martin) both have a run through the middle this year while looking ahead to next year Kemp, Philp, Stocker and Dow should hopefully be able to put their hands up for selection in a meaningful way. I know Dow has had to do a lot of running to improve his aerobic capacity but I'd like to see him put on a few kgs and become better equipped to break and stick tackles. He's neither a particularly threatening power athlete nor a competent endurance athlete at the moment but I think if he could at least get stronger he'd be more effective in the contests, which would be something. Some people just aren't meant to be endurance athletes.

I'm genuinely optimistic about Kemp, he could be the one, while I've been really impressed with Philp's endeavour, I think he's close to our best tackler already.

I wouldn't say no to getting Wines as long as it didn't compromise our attempts to get Papley as he is the priority for mine.

That’s the only piece missing

It really isn't.

We need another KPD to play with Weiters. That may be Marchbank if he gets fit, but not sure he is a real lock down player.

We need another inside mid (Wines, Viney - I say get both) and we need 2-3 elite kicking mids. Also need a quality small forward.

Rome wasn't built in the day. I am happy that we have enough of the premiership 22 already we now fill gaps over the next 3-4 years.

My nomination for a bit of a plonker would be Charlie.
Hoping Kemp has all the ingredients we need.

1. JSOS will add a lot this week because he will not be intimidated by GEELONG!!!! We need players who are not overawed and will have a serious craic from the opening siren. They set the standard. (And I think willo is also a front foot type...)

2. F**K overpaying for Wines and Crouch. Get in Rowells ear now and make him a grandfather offer. He is contracted for two years but if he won't resign beyond 2021 at GCFC they may be tempted to accept our two firsts for their two seconds and Rowell in an early release. That would shake the AFL World and show swagger.
No chance! gc would want 2 first plus and no picks coming back

I'm looking at Christian Petracca at the age of 24, finally starting to become the midfield threat he was always projected to be. I'm not about to write off some of our younger mids as far as eventually becoming decent inside midfielders.

However, none were projected to be the beast Petracca is looking like, so we still have a need there.

When it comes to midfielders with early picks, we have gone quite small/thin - Cuningham, SPS, Dow, O'Brien, Walsh. Brodie Kemp projects to be that big bodied goal scoring mid in the Petracca mould though. And Stocker .... I don't know what we have to lose by giving him a run in the middle.
He’s the exact type we need, dangerous goal kicking Midfielder Forward strong and quick, tough and skilled...
Just signed a 2 year extension earlier this year til 2022... Pity, he’d cost a bit too...

Assuming our draftees are a mixed bag of hit and miss, and working from the standpoint that we should be a finals team from next year (why aim low?), we need to bring in a high quality mid and small forward. Yes, I'm Captain Obvious.

The important thing IMO is not to settle for a B-grade option just for the sake of being SEEN to do something or hoping for the best.
Sometimes there's no A-grade talent available, but if that's the case, there's no use overpaying to get someone out of another club when they aren't the solution to the issue. Kind of like the Brock McLean deal.

Get the mature players now and let the current (and future) draftees have the time to develop.

Our last premiership side had Diesel, Dean, Brown, Spalding. Real mongrel in that side to go along with the talent.

No mongrel in our defence at the moment. Weiters is a quiet achiever, Jones the same, Plow the same, Doc is a clever leader and tough as hell, but he doesn't sort out the opposition physically. Neither does Simmo or Samo. Newman has potential and Willo is our great Blue hope in terms of getting in to the face of opponents. I come back to Stocker again as being in the same vein as Willo.

JSOS will get involved in a fracas and occasionally Big H will join in, but they are not enforcers. LOB surprised me last year a little as he started getting in faces and I didn't think that was his game. Cuners, Dow, Fish, Murph .... nope.

Perhaps this is one of the things in favour of Gov. He will use his body, he will needle opponents and taunt them after a goal. Levi is a tough bastard too and will get involved in wrestling matches and the like, but he is a bit of a gentle giant at heart I think.

Our character policy was necessary many years back, but it has run way past its use by date. We have been way too introverted for way too long.

I remember when we fell out of the finals in 1997 and spent a couple of years in the wilderness, looking rather soft. It took the likes of Aaron Hamill and Adrian Hickmott running through people at will and the media starting calling us the toughest side in the AFL. Bloody hell, that was a brief but exciting time, despite not having any success from it. Physicality puts opponents off their game and the skilled players capitalise.

Given the courage of David Teague as a player, he'd have to realise this.

I really Luke this post and it’s something I think is a slight issue, Im not sure if it holds up, but I feel most players taken in the top 10 in the draft aren’t your bulls, scraggers, fighters and by focusing on purely top end talent, I think you miss out on something.

I have no doubt that some of our kids we have drafted, will end up in a back pocket or half forward, your observation on our defence was interesting and something we can hopefully improve.

Have you just gotten out of surgery or something, Rowell and 2 second round picks, for our 2 first?

would you trade Walsh for two firsts?

Rowell is a pipedream. And I doubt Tony Cochrane would want to deal with us again anytime soon with the fallout from the Jack Martin fiasco.

I think Anderson would be the more likely of the pair to return to Victoria at some place (wouldn't say no to getting him, he is also gonna be a very good player)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back