Opinion Go Get The Best Inside Mid Available

Zero chance. Will be a 15 year player for the GC

Not what I was told last year.
He's happy to play at GC for 3 years with his mate Anderson, and then he'll be looking to come back to Victoria, and most probably Carlton.
Of course, alot can obviously change in 4 years.

May 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Would be nice if we could actually develop a player in house. With all the first rounds picks we have and have had I count Cripps, maybe Weitering and maybe Docerty as genuine A graders. We just aren't a destination club anymore.

Kouta2Fev

Debutant
Jun 18, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
He's happy to play at GC for 3 years with his mate Anderson, and then he'll be looking to come back to Victoria, and most probably Carlton.
Of course, alot can obviously change in 4 years.

Let me guess - someone who knows his Aunty? His Mum has always been a big believer that if he goes interstate he will come back.

Rowell has bought in 100% to what the Suns are doing. As has their other youngesters (Luka, Rankine, King etc). The only one slightly home sick is Flanders but I doubt that amounts to anything.

My biggest concern is when we are ready to challenge the GC has a Hawks dynasty style list and we get close multiple times. Everyone laughs at the Suns - but over the last 3 years they have built a massive base to work from.

Let me guess - someone who knows his Aunty? His Mum has always been a big believer that if he goes interstate he will come back.

Rowell has bought in 100% to what the Suns are doing. As has their other youngesters (Luka, Rankine, King etc). The only one slightly home sick is Flanders but I doubt that amounts to anything.

My biggest concern is when we are ready to challenge the GC has a Hawks dynasty style list and we get close multiple times. Everyone laughs at the Suns - but over the last 3 years they have built a massive base to work from.

I don't doubt that the Suns have an incredible amount of talent at their disposal, but the challenge for them will be to keep them all together. In their history they have not managed to do this, and this will always be their challenge.

On to the rumour, this was information given to me from someone I trust, and had no need whatsoever to make it up. I have already stated that things could change, however this was the information prior to him going to GC.

Would be nice if we could actually develop a player in house. With all the first rounds picks we have and have had I count Cripps, maybe Weitering and maybe Docerty as genuine A graders. We just aren't a destination club anymore.

I still think that Dow can be that player. He just needs time to develop.

Kouta2Fev

Debutant
Jun 18, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't doubt that the Suns have an incredible amount of talent at their disposal, but the challenge for them will be to keep them all together. In their history they have not managed to do this, and this will always be their challenge.

On to the rumour, this was information given to me from someone I trust, and had no need whatsoever to make it up. I have already stated that things could change, however this was the information prior to him going to GC.
Fair enough mate. I hope you are right!

Dec 26, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
What mystifies me this year is that we have comfortably won I50 count in both games - it was rare for us to do that last year, even in our wins! Is the midfield performing better than we think? I’m curious as to what the gurus think about this anomaly.

Though I do concede we are terrible at centre bounces clearances.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Can someone name me another team that has a combination like Wines and Cripps? Failing that, if you could have any player in the history of football come into the side, who would be the ideal inside midfield partner for Cripps?

We've already got Jack, Kemp, Stocker, Philp and Dow ticking away there. You might not like the mix, or the sum total of each player potential given Cripps' role as the anchor of that clearance unit, but that is a tactically diverse mix, with one potential superstar (Kemp) and several players with many elite qualities.

From where I'm sitting the issue is player and tactical development, something that's been lacking at the club for sometime, and doesn't look to have improved enough over the off-season.

What mystifies me this year is that we have comfortably won I50 count in both games - it was rare for us to do that last year, even in our wins! Is the midfield performing better than we think? I’m curious as to what the gurus think about this anomaly.

Though I do concede we are terrible at centre bounces clearances.
Our delivery to the forwards has been atrocious for years, pretty much since Hoops and Bradley left. The forward structure and running patterns have also needed a huge overhaul.

The signs from the Geelong game is that these things have been partially addressed and will continue to get better as the players mature and learn to work together. We will be dangerous next season.

Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Timberwolves
Err, probably the only realistic option is Ollie Wines.

In saying that, I prefer we stick a pure Mid like Gibbons in there while our other mids develop in the 2s. He has shown he can handle the pace and pressure.

Omega Blue

Premiership Player
Mar 30, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Orlando Magic
We still need a quality midfielder, it's never been an inside mid though.
Cripps is so dominant at the contested and clearances that anyone we bring in will be stiffled (aka Kennedy)
What we need is a complete mid in the mold of a younger Murphy, Trealor, colignio, Toranto
The current hope is setterfield can be that guy and we may find that Walsh is that guy, however we will still need to add to the engine room in order to take the next step as a contender.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea

Stupid homesick Flanders.

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
Jack Martin plus a ruckman that can tap the ball to our mids - what a difference it makes.

Thinking this conversation might be null and void by year's end.
I think it’s best that we meet in person somewhere and you can condescendingly pat me on the head and slap my arse as I walk away.
👍

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
We still need a quality midfielder, it's never been an inside mid though.
Cripps is so dominant at the contested and clearances that anyone we bring in will be stiffled (aka Kennedy)
What we need is a complete mid in the mold of a younger Murphy, Trealor, colignio, Toranto
The current hope is setterfield can be that guy and we may find that Walsh is that guy, however we will still need to add to the engine room in order to take the next step as a contender.
I'm still hoping Kennedy gets over his injury woes and can play replace Ed eventually.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

iAsbestos

All Australian
Nov 22, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Can someone name me another team that has a combination like Wines and Cripps? Failing that, if you could have any player in the history of football come into the side, who would be the ideal inside midfield partner for Cripps?

We've already got Jack, Kemp, Stocker, Philp and Dow ticking away there. You might not like the mix, or the sum total of each player potential given Cripps' role as the anchor of that clearance unit, but that is a tactically diverse mix, with one potential superstar (Kemp) and several players with many elite qualities.

From where I'm sitting the issue is player and tactical development, something that's been lacking at the club for sometime, and doesn't look to have improved enough over the off-season.

Freo played Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow together worked amazing

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
In my opinion, that is part of our current problem. Too many gentleman, not enough of those 'Franchina' types who get under the opposition's skin.

Not condoning on field violence at all, but We need more on field physicality and stop (esp our young kids) being pushed around like rag dolls.

It would be nice having Mitch Robinson right now

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Itd be like Pies wanting to poach Gawn or NicNat as a priority. Sure itd be a good combo but not our greatest need.

We need another elite mid. Many different types could work. The key is the quality not the type.

Shiel would be nice. His ball winning and pace would he awesome.

Josh Kelly too, his ball winning and disposal.

Even Brad Hill wouldve been awesome.

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Itd be like Pies wanting to poach Gawn or NicNat as a priority. Sure itd be a good combo but not our greatest need.

We need another elite mid. Many different types could work. The key is the quality not the type.

Shiel would be nice. His ball winning and pace would he awesome.

Josh Kelly too, his ball winning and disposal.

Even Brad Hill wouldve been awesome.
It's not really, there's only 1 ruckman, maybe 2 at a push, but 6 midfielders.

Though I agree on balance maybe Wines isn't the best match for our midfield. At a centre bounce having Cripps, Wines and x would be a pretty slow centre bounce combo. There'd always be a risk of a quick break out of the centre which is the last thing we want.

Though around the ground when there's upwards of 4 or 5 mids around having Cripps and Wines would be awesome, so long as the pieces around them are mobile.

Overall I'd still like him, but perhaps not for what he's going to cost. If we're going to trade away premium draft picks you want someone who's going to take us to the next level, and I don't think Wines is that. He'd be more a really nice to have as opposed to a gamechanger for us.

Back