Autopsy goal loss vs *Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Phillips largely a positive, but his defensive running needs to improve. There was a passage of play in the first q where he allowed Merrett to win the centre clearance, only to then run straight past Will again for a hit up lead for a shot on goal 30 metres out. Later on he failed to spoil the Andrew Phillips shank kick which resulted in another goal.

As I said, he’s winning the ball and creating for his teammates but can’t be having those lapses as it costs the team.

mmmm....
For the record:

53 pressure points yesterday - career best.

So he's finding the ball more than ever which means he's having a bigger impact offensively, and then also applying more pressure than he ever has defensively as shown by his pressure stats + tackling numbers.

He's only getting started too.

I thought Logue was really poor in the first half, gave way too much space to Langford on multiple occasions. Was far better in the 2nd half.
Langford is an interesting forward that has used the lack of hands in the back rule to full effect this year.

He has a deceptive reach and plays back shoulder, almost what a traditional defender does, then gets balls kicked higher and over the back of the contest and uses his reach and strength to hold space.

It’s pretty smart actually, and against someone like logue who is actively looking to play in front in an aggressive attacking role, it paid dividends handsomely

Incredibly, I set out with that post to highlight Phillips and omitted him.

Phillips along with Wardlaw are THE two reasons we are turning.

Phillips is just so damn clean and he's now starting to get confidence to just get in and rip the ball out at the coal face.

He's absolutely projecting to be a Tom Mitchell type for us.
Its pretty incredible the way these younger players have come together. Its easy to miss one when so many have added something vital to our games.

Its pretty incredible the way these younger players have come together. Its easy to miss one when so many have added something vital to our games.
Makes you think about how a couple more younger guys would go slotting in at HB after the rise of our young mids with the absence of senior guys

I was there, haven’t seen the replay, but I don’t think Hall was terrrible. Or that Jack was terrible. I assume the point Kingy is making is that if your senior players aren’t the ones leading the way, and they are making costly errors at the same or higher rates than less experienced players, you might as well give the kids the keys.

It‘s an attractive idea, but until yesterday Goldy has been great, Jack‘s had a strong season, Greenwood has been fantastic, Shiels again played an important role yesterday. At the same time, our long injury list includes several younger players who would be in the senior team already if fit. I’d keep the older guys in until younger players are fit and ready and push them out.
They weren’t terrible. Goldy got beat. Jack and Hall are prone to slow poor decisions, and/or lacking execution. Shiels gets another year and without him we’d have been smacked.

I agree entirely with keep them in until they’re pushed out. Like we’ve done with Cunners.

They’ll go out in this order:

Hall
Jack
Goldy

I smiled after the game for a few reasons:

• the higher end of the side we’re assembling is going to be bloody good.
  • The third gamer has it.
  • wins are in the post. We’re clearly building to them.
  • I hate losing to those f*s but they are 4/5ths of f* all and if they make finals with their front running rubbish they’re gon get exposed.
  • Brad Scott was and continues to be a f***stick. It will be glorious when he fails at a club with more influence than ours.

I come in peace.

You guys played really,really well was seriously impressed should have won really but you guys are looking the goods a win will come very soon. North have lots of great kids the future is very bright once it clicks you will come in a rush imo
This is s**t, I hate that we’ve become a petty party, I can’t wait till banter exists again and close ones actually mean something.

Next year can’t come soon enough.

Langford is an interesting forward that has used the lack of hands in the back rule to full effect this year.

He has a deceptive reach and plays back shoulder, almost what a traditional defender does, then gets balls kicked higher and over the back of the contest and uses his reach and strength to hold space.

It’s pretty smart actually, and against someone like logue who is actively looking to play in front in an aggressive attacking role, it paid dividends handsomely

We should have used Ford a little more like that. He had some decent matchups and we seemed to not make the most of it. Something our forwardline has been poor at for a while.

Umpires are a joke.

I can confirm that indeed they are. I learnt this yesterday sitting in front of two most erudite *essendon supporters. Their input was invaluable.

I counted at least 65 frees that they missed paying against us for such offences as holding the ball, throws etc. I also learnt that the 16 frees that we got were wrong and really should have gone to *them.

In essence the "correct" free kick tally should have been at least 97 to *them, made up of the 65, as above, plus the 16 *they received plus the 16 we received, to Nil.

Seems fair.

It’s out with the old and in with the new. The younger players are taking over now the baton has just about been handed over . Xerri will return soon hopefully too.
Don't know about Xerri yet, but it's definitely out with some of the old. The skill level of some of the older players are killing us. Not all, but Ziebell and McDonald in particular. The indecision and allowing teams to settle defensively are part of the reason we're easy to counter. The turnovers are not helping. But we're getting better, but getting let down by the same players. Ziebell has had a good year, of sorts. But, not from a team going forward perspective.

Last edited:
Ford pulling at Stevo’s jumper in joy after that last goal is my new favourite thing.
caVExsPM.jpg

6GblqdPh.jpg

dRVLDrxp.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brad is an absolute fraud. Has a pre-game shot about the time slot being familiar … it was your home game douchebag.

Then ‘significantly younger’, just a lie. They might shade that on numbers but as one of our eminent posters pointed out earlier ‘significantly’ is just a lie. We bought the lies for so long … best of luck to them.

Seems as if these were 2 pre-planned digs, as if he thought the first match with us was somehow notable when in reality none of us gave a s**t.

They win by 5 points with Simpkin gone at quarter time and Greenwood at half time so one rotation down for a whole half… I mean, Brad talks about ‘narratives’ - was this as impressive for Essendon as the narrative seems to suggest.

Just caught a clip of Brad’s presser on First Crack where he mansplains that they had the younger side out there today, “facts”. What a *stick. I see what everyone meant now.

maxresdefault.jpg

Welcome aboard H2H.

Now sit down and watch this "overarching legacy" clip with fresh eyes.

Also also. We wont be getting belted by that mob again for a while. Actually for a long time.
Sans LDU and down 2 starting mids and we pull out that kind of effort.

Wheels turning. Its slow. But its turning.

I'm really hoping it's akin to Hawthorn vs * in the early 2000s.

Line in the sand games, angst everywhere. * always on the winning end of the equation.

Then Hawthorn finally fired up and left them behind.

Brad is an absolute fraud. Has a pre-game shot about the time slot being familiar … it was your home game douchebag.

Then ‘significantly younger’, just a lie. They might shade that on numbers but as one of our eminent posters pointed out earlier ‘significantly’ is just a lie. We bought the lies for so long … best of luck to them.

Seems as if these were 2 pre-planned digs, as if he thought the first match with us was somehow notable when in reality none of us gave a s**t.

They win by 5 points with Simpkin gone at quarter time and Greenwood at half time so one rotation down for a whole half… I mean, Brad talks about ‘narratives’ - was this as impressive for Essendon as the narrative seems to suggest.
Brad is copping a lot of stick, but I'm not sure all of it is warranted to be honest. He did get us to two prelims, the man can coach. He was also a committed and passionate North person in all of his time with us. I thought the crack about the timeslot was actually quite funny, if anything it's a reference about the poor fixturing we have historically copped.
Also a smart coach will always go into a post match presser with pre-prepared material. If you don't take hold of the narrative straight away it can very quickly become a sh*tshow. The media are looking for a story, only give them what you want to give them.

Don't know about Xerri yet, but it's definitely out with some of the old. The skill level of some of the older players are killing us. Not all, but Ziebell and McDonald in particular. The indecision and allowing teams to settle defensively are part of the reason we're easy to counter. The turnovers are not helping. But we're getting better, but getting let down by the same players. Ziebell has had a good year, of sorts. But, not from a team going forward perspective.
The fact remains that LMac is ******* vital in that back 6 as the only bloke who can properly lock down a dangerous non key forward. He does get smothered a s**t ton, but you take the rough with the smooth with him. Locked down Papley and the paedo with aplomb.

JZ finally looks dispensable, which isn't a knock on his performances at all, it's just that we know he has those limitations and they're surfacing with increasing frequency

The fact remains that LMac is ******* vital in that back 6 as the only bloke who can properly lock down a dangerous non key forward. He does get smothered a s**t ton, but you take the rough with the smooth with him. Locked down Papley and the paedo with aplomb.

JZ finally looks dispensable, which isn't a knock on his performances at all, it's just that we know he has those limitations and they're surfacing with increasing frequency
Yeah anyone knocking LMac after yesterday is clueless. He’s our best medium defender by some margin. When we have two more classy half backs to replace Hall and Ziebell and he doesn’t have to try and create we will look much better. Goater is hopefully one. We need one more. Archer maybe? I still have a little faith in Bonar but again he’s more a pure lockdown type. Something to address at the draft.

Ford pulling at Stevo’s jumper in joy after that last goal is my new favourite thing.
And this is my new least favourite thing.

Eddie strikes me as the type who'd take names and file them away for future evening up. Kyle will be spending a lot of time looking over his shoulder in future games against us.

Yeah anyone knocking LMac after yesterday is clueless. He’s our best medium defender by some margin. When we have two more classy half backs to replace Hall and Ziebell and he doesn’t have to try and create we will look much better. Goater is hopefully one. We need one more. Archer maybe? I still have a little faith in Bonar but again he’s more a pure lockdown type. Something to address at the draft.
If Archer comes along well, I reckon he'll be the defensive heir to LMac. Tries his guts out and seems to have the fire of his old man. Not sure how much he offers the other way.

I've theorised that Powell, TT and Sheezel could rotate a half back spot between them, but then again I'm not privy to their positional preferences. Stepho was good down there and he hated it. Something for the coaches to work out

Another thing we are now kicking goals in succession and not just 2 . This has a massive impact on games we are getting better now led by the new mob of roos. Gone are the days when I got excited about us just getting a forward 50 entry.We will break a team soon enough then it will begin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back