Goal Review

The goal reviews seem to be causing more controversy then actually solving it . Surely if they can’t bring themselves to have the same camera technology at every ground then they shouldn’t have it at all !

If everything can't be great for everyone then it should be bad for everyone is the most backward way of thinking.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
If everything can't be great for everyone then it should be bad for everyone is the most backward way of thinking.
Well does having a goal review system in place but not actually having a camera on the goal line make much sense to you ? They should have just not had it for that game if there wasn’t going to be a camera in place

Well does having a goal review system in place but not actually having a camera on the goal make much sense to you ? They should have just not had it for that game if there wasn’t going to be a camera in place
The review would have offered something other than live call only, that's better than nothing.

And if it's not perfect the solution isn't to make it even worse for everyone, it's to make it better.

But the AFL is broke.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The review would have offered something other than live call only, that's better than nothing.

And if it's not perfect the solution isn't to make it even worse for everyone, it's to make it better.

But the AFL is broke.
That’s the point though the technology whatever the afl are going with needs to be the same at every ground what’s the point of having a goal review system if you don’t have a camera on the actual goal line? You would think that would be common sense obviously not!

That’s the point though the technology whatever the afl are going with needs to be the same at every ground what’s the point of having a goal review system if you don’t have a camera on the actual goal line? You would think that would be common sense obviously not!
I don't think the broadcaster can afford to upgrade the grounds

Jul 6, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
You're complaining about a review that was a clear goal either way... not to mention the mark should have been paid. Stop being a sore loser and move on 🤔🙄🤷‍♂️

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I think the introduction of the goal review (especially with the edge technology) is fantastic.

The controversy behind yesterday's game shows that it works.

The goal reviews seem to be causing more controversy then actually solving it . Surely if they can’t bring themselves to have the same camera technology at every ground then they shouldn’t have it at all !
Umpires should have just paid Petraccas clear mark and he wouldn't have had to turn three Saints defenders inside out to kick the goal and require the replay

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
You're complaining about a review that was a clear goal either way... not to mention the mark should have been paid. Stop being a sore loser and move on 🤔🙄🤷‍♂️
Not complaining about the result we didn’t take our chances and Melbourne did so you deserved the win . And yes it did look like a goal but without the camera on the line you couldn’t tell foreshore that’s where the problem lyes you would think having a camera on the line would be essential in a goal review system! So if the umpire call had of been a touched behind you wouldn’t have had a problem with there being no camera there ??

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not complaining about the result we didn’t take our chances and Melbourne did so you deserved the win . And yes it did look like a goal but without the camera on the line you couldn’t tell foreshore that’s where the problem lyes you would think having a camera on the line would be essential in a goal review system! So if the umpire call had of been a touched behind you wouldn’t have had a problem with there being no camera there ??

The more pertinent question is surely why thr umpires bothered to review whether it was touched on the line or not - when we all know there is no camera on the line.

Just amateurish rubbish as usual by the AFL.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think the introduction of the goal review (especially with the edge technology) is fantastic.

The controversy behind yesterday's game shows that it works.
Showed it worked ?? Buy going with the original umpires decision because they didn’t have the correct technology in place to 100% confirm the decision like what the system was actually put in place for yeah that makes sense!

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The more pertinent question is surely why thr umpires bothered to review whether it was touched on the line or not - when we all know there is no camera on the line.

Just amateurish rubbish as usual by the AFL.
Exactly they may as well just said prior to the game they were not going to review goal line decisions due to not having the camera have just made themselves look unprofessional now !

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Also lol imagine picking Fatty Mac over Petracca.

And FWIW that was some goal, goddamn. Marked it while being infringed by one defender while surrounded by two other saints, no worries, turns around and drills it from near 50 metres.

He's turning into a superstar before our eyes and he hasn't come close to his ceiling yet.

I hope it hurts.

Demon13304

Club Legend
Feb 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
That goal isn't even controversial.
Goal umpire was in the best position and called it a goal. Wanted it to get doubled checked. Video was not conclusive enough so he stayed with his original call as a goal.

Hell to me the video showed the ball being way over the line when it was first touched.
The ball was on the line and the Saints player wasn't even near it at that point.

Uneik

Senior List
Jul 17, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Forget technology.....use 'Humans'.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Even when a goal umpire is certain the field umpire rushes over to try put some doubt in their mind and basiclally forces them to say “I believe xyz but just want to check”.

Just once I’d like to see a goal umpire have the balls to say nup that’s a goal.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Without looking i knew this was going to be posted by a salty Saints supporter. Umpire was right there and called it a goal. Get the f### over it. Clear goal. The mark should have been paid to Trac anyway.

Vintage

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well does having a goal review system in place but not actually having a camera on the goal line make much sense to you ? They should have just not had it for that game if there wasn’t going to be a camera in place
Which is “that game” that just finished early this morning? NBA finals?

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE

But the AFL is broke.
They should have the same tech at every ground or don't have it at all. A ground being AFL standard should be this.

And don't claim it's because the AFL is broke, places like Darwin and Ballarat have never had it.

Also, don't ever complain that the image isn't clear enough, because it's better than nothing. It's not like this hasn't been a problem since it started.

Accept mediocrity if you like, but I think the AFL can do better.

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I assume OP is referring to the Petracca goal last night.

In this particular example it looks like the goal umpire made the right call - that can't be disputed.

The issue I had was that they had such poor camera options available at the ground, most likely because Alice Springs only gets one game per year. There should be a professional level of consistency regardless of where the game is being played.

Back