Play Nice Goal Umpire costs Adelaide a shot at finals, how do you stop it from happening again?

Should Adelaide appeal the result vs Sydney (poll reset with new option)

• Go to court if appeals are unsuccessfull

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows should tank next week, no point ruining their draft pick.
Then the AFL would hit us with draft sanctions.

It's be nice if they stopped sending us to regional grounds when would Collingwood ever play in Canberra Ballarat Tasmania Geelong and Darwin in the same season and in the last 3 games of the season travel to Brisbane back to Melbourne and then to Perth the last week?

We played one game at Marvel and two at the MCG for the whole season! It ****ing sucks!

As I said, have you not been 40 points down, you could have one. Human error, including failure to refer the decision, is part of the game. It’s simply the timing of it that has caused outrage.

If someone can seek compensation for this, then clubs can seek compensation for every human error that takes place in a game.

You weren’t good enough to win the game, factoring in human error. And in fact, there were a number of decisions that favoured the crows in the last quarter. I wonder if Sydney will seek compensation for those.
No..this was a clear error that they have technology for..not a debated htb or trip or high tackle..they had the technology to overturn this decision. Understand the difference.

And we were good enough as we came back from 44 points down to hit the front with less than a minute to go and the umpire ignored the system and decided himself otherwise

No..this was a clear error that they have technology for..not a debated htb or trip or high tackle..they had the technology to overturn this decision. Understand the difference.

And we were good enough as we came back from 44 points down to hit the front with less than a minute to go and the umpire ignored the system and decided himself otherwise
And the rankin goal out of bounds in the last qtr against the hawks?

It’s human error. The failure to refer is human error.

It’s swings and roundabouts.
Libba missed goal in 1997 won you a flag.

The ball seemed to deviate to me. I am not sure what it hit, but it changed directions slightly.
Thousands laughing at your judgement you were lucky and the game is corrupt like everything else is we are a pathetic species that is controlled and used like you and me

Umpires make mistakes constantly through every match. It happens. This was a bad one but outside of giving the umpires a bit of time off for it I'm not sure what people want to happen. The system is set up for umpires to review the tight ones already, it's not the AFL's fault that the goal umpire was sure he saw something he didnt

So the only ramifications to come out of this entire debacle is that the goal umpire has been stood down. I can’t believe how easily the AFC has folded on this incredulous set of events. Not only should you demand more if I were a supporter or sponsor, but the competition itself deserves a more meaningful response & action.
I reckon your club would've done the same thing in response and that's no slur on Port. There's simply nothing that can be done about it. They can't overturn the outcome as there was still time remaining. The only stronger response would've been if the AFL backed the umpire and completely denied the whole thing but they didn't. An apology is small consolation though.

And were good enough to get back and win the game from there..but had the win ripped away from them by something that should never happen because the technology was there to prevent that. Disgraceful and a disgraceful response from the AFL and the crows heirachy as there is no recompense now
The AFL have promised that umpire Williamson no longer umpires Crows games. ;)

You would hope the AFL will really look have the ARC review every score going forward so howlers are picked up.

I get that people make mistakes

What I don’t get is how the umpire was SO confident not to review that decision with 40 seconds left on a game deciding kick

It’s wild that he was so sure given I would say 99 times out of 100 a goal umpire rightfully reviews such a close call at the end of the game

But isn't the concept of score reviews really just designed to eliminate the real howlers made by umpires?
I see the current iteration as a fallback for goal umpires who aren't 100% sure and seek a 2nd opinion.

Human error is complex though. Last night was a howler because the goal umpire had no doubt in their mind and as a result we got a catastrophic outcome. No different to say 3 different witnesses giving adamant but differing accounts to a crime based on what they saw or thought they saw.. Human error.

The goal umpire actually did their job, they called it as they confidently saw it. It just so happens they were dead wrong. The issue is, whilst it is very rare it can/will happen again.

Gillon correctly identified the problem but didn't admit we need a solution. He is playing a numbers game hoping it doesn't happen again on his watch. Bad goal umpire, drop goal umpire, move on quickly.

If this happens in a GF against a 'big 4' club, deciding the outcome, the losing supporters will storm AFL house like it's the Capitol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mainstream media is bought propaganda. Humans fall for it. Humans make stupid mistakes like this. In the end most (not me) fall for it all the bull shit and this is just more bullshit. Enjoy the little time humanity has left being free. Use your cards to pay for your ticket, hot dogs and coffee, get your medicine and believe it's good for you and ruin your life to save the world cos the sun does not change the weather LOL x 10000

And were good enough to get back and win the game from there..but had the win ripped away from them by something that should never happen because the technology was there to prevent that. Disgraceful and a disgraceful response from the AFL and the crows heirachy as there is no recompense now
Got back in it with 19 second half frees. Unthinkable.

U wouldnt be having this conversation if u had taken them earlier u kicked 4.8 in the last qtr. One mistake does not make a game. Just like one goal. The game goes for 120 minutes
Did you even read the post you replied to? The game goes for 120 minutes and we kicked the winning score at minute 119. That’s called a comeback, that thing the Pies have been lauded for over the last two seasons, we were denied it

Last edited:
Imagine the complete chaos if the AFL started going through games for umpiring errors and altering the score.

I don't recall all the crows supporters saying the result should be changed when Jenkins hit the post.
Bit different as couldn't tell whether Jenkins hit the post though... where last night was clearly wrong.

I see the current iteration as a fallback for goal umpires who aren't 100% sure and seek a 2nd opinion.

Human error is complex though. Last night was a howler because the goal umpire had no doubt in their mind and as a result we got a catastrophic outcome. No different to say 3 different witnesses giving adamant but differing accounts to a crime based on what they saw or thought they saw.. Human error.

The goal umpire actually did their job, they called it as they confidently saw it. It just so happens they were dead wrong. The issue is, whilst it is very rare it can/will happen again.

Gillon correctly identified the problem but didn't admit we need a solution. He is playing a numbers game hoping it doesn't happen again on his watch. Bad goal umpire, drop goal umpire, move on quickly.

If this happens in a GF against a 'big 4' club, deciding the outcome, the losing supporters will storm AFL house like it's the Capitol.
You’re right, that night was human error but they followed their protocol of not reviewing behinds which is stupid by the way.
In the elimination final last year they went against protocol by overruling the goal umpire’s decision without definitive proof.

You’re right, that night was human error but they followed their protocol of not reviewing behinds which is stupid by the way.
In the elimination final last year they went against protocol by overruling the goal umpire’s decision without definitive proof.
An overruling option is our last line of defense. Whether it be the field ump or ARC/video review guys, someone has to step in and your example shows it can work.

Back