GOAT Horses and/or Performances

Pick 6

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubiton? Please. Maybe if we are putting in a Tier 6

I loved the Vo, but Rub It On (as my mate called him) had him covered for sustained and top end speed.Still reckon he busted a boiler winning the Mackinnon (that was greed backing up a stallion after a hard run which set a record in the cox plate)
and he broke down before returning in Autumn.
He didn't win enough races to be hailed a great but had as much ability as any horse up to 2000m.

You never saw her live did you.
Her 2000 Plate win was devastating. 2 wins, a 2nd and a 4th in the Cox Plate.
44 placings from 48 starts, 2 Cox Plate wins, did the hard work in all of her races by leading. She won the Doncaster as a 3 year old and a 6 year old.
3 times Australian Horse of the Year, won in Australia, Hong Kong and NZ. When she retired she was the highest earning mare in the world. 27 stakes wins, more than any other horse in Australian history.
Winx doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Sunline yet.

I know exactly what I said and meant: sunline vs Winx level weights and Winx wins. I'm sorry to deflate your balloon.

Lol... thanks to Jack Gun Cyril Stun for liking my old post here and reminding me of this...

You don't become an icon for no reason. He was spoken about as the greatest at the time, its not just revisionist history

Got on a bloody boat, had hoof problems, raced on dirt for the 1st time and in the worlds richest race.
Drops out wide to about 7-8th, then surges wide down the back with a 22 sec 1/4 mile to loop field and hit front, challenged on turn and straight, but pulls away to win.
Watch it on you tube or at the museum...its fairytale stuff.

Imagine sending Winx on a boat to run in the Breeders Cup dirt!!

Bump.

Tier 1 is a 3-horse race now.

Phar Lap
Black Caviar
Winx

The three best horses Australia has seen.

Discuss

Winx hasn't raced or won overseas, literally dozens of Australian horses have.
She is racing against s**t, this is the worst era of horse racing I have witnessed in my 47 years.
Phar Lap beat the world, Black Caviar beat the world, Better Loosen Up beat the world, Sunline beat the world.
Winx has beaten Hartnell and Black Heart Bart lol

Anyone want to have a crack at a top 5 or 10 individual performances by horses in Australia?

Royal Symphony's Caulfield Guineas run is around 8th for mine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone want to have a crack at a top 5 or 10 individual performances by horses in Australia?

Best guess in no order

Phar Lap - MC
Black Caviar - Newmarket
Vain - Craven Stakes
Peter Pan - MC#1
Winx - CP#2

Best in modern era would be split exclusively between the two great mares. Probably CP1, CP2 and CP3 Winx and Newmarket/TJ Caviar

Best in modern era would be split exclusively between the two great mares. Probably CP1, CP2 and CP3 Winx and Newmarket/TJ Caviar

SYT first Cox Plate would be up there in the Modern era.
Might and Power's QE
Hard not to have Sunlines second CP demolition job

Winx also has her Doncaster with all that weight and her George Ryder in the wet. You'd have to go down to the teens to get something that wasn't Winx or BC in modern era I think if you're going strictly by performance.

Outside of those two all the others mentioned are pretty good. Might and Power Caulfield Cup was pretty amazing, and Hay List weight record in the Newmarket was great too.

Winx also has her Doncaster with all that weight and her George Ryder in the wet. You'd have to go down to the teens to get something that wasn't Winx or BC in modern era I think if you're going strictly by performance.

Ridiculous call - you are taking the piss if you think Winx/BC have 10+ better performances than Sunlines 2nd Cox Plate or Might & Power's QE

Back