PS5 God of War: Ragnarok - NO Spoilers

Remove this Banner Ad

I've created a thread explicitly for story related and spoilery stuff. Of course it can be hard to separate game from story when talking about it but I think most here understand the gist of it. If you need to talk about a part of the game here that may be tied to the story just be vague. Talking about an aspect of the world, game play etc I don't think is exceptionally spoilery. If you do then I mean this in the nicest possible way but stay off the internet for a little while. Actual names and mentioning of specific story events are strictly off limits and should be in the other thread. If I delete any post here don't take it personally.

Have been reading that this is delayed and not coming to PS4 now.

Unless this is a Miles Morales sized game I don’t see it coming out this year, Especially with the new HZD game firming for a release this year. Would be silly to release them too close together.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is disappointing. Where did you see the confirmation?

The tweet doesn’t mention the game is on both PS4 and PS5, only that it’s been released next year. But plenty of publications have confirmed it’s getting a PS4 release too. With such a huge release and not everyone will get out and buy a PS5 as soon as they are freely available, it makes sense for the game to be on last gen.

Hopefully they don't limit the next gen version to fit the needs of previous gen :(

I don’t think we will have to worry about that. Look at all the games that play so well on the PS5 that also have PS4 releases. I have played PS4 games and then played the PS5 version and the PS5 version have never felt limited and always felt like a better experience. The delay into PS5 sucks but I am expecting an amazing experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The tweet doesn’t mention the game is on both PS4 and PS5, only that it’s been released next year. But plenty of publications have confirmed it’s getting a PS4 release too. With such a huge release and not everyone will get out and buy a PS5 as soon as they are freely available, it makes sense for the game to be on last gen.

Ya reckon? I think its absolutely bonkers.

"We believe in generations", farkin lol. By the time this comes out it will have been almost 2 years since the PS5 launched - how long are they gonna do this cross generation thing for 1st party games for? 3 years? 5? By comparison, Infamous Second Son came out 5 months after PS4 launched, with no cross gen version.

They'll say the right things around PS5 availability and wanting everyone to be able to experience and game etc., but thats a complete furphy imo - PS5 is selling faster than PS4 according to Sony, so even with the availability problems there are already more PS5s in the wild than there were PS4 at the same amount of time after launch. Its double dipping pure and simple - which they're entitled to do, its their business. But geez, not doing a whole lot of favours for PS5 owners.

I'm sure the game will be great, but end of the day its being developed to run on last gen hardware with additional bells and whistles tacked on for current gen. I don't think expecting Sony to develop their own games for their own current/flagship hardware from the ground up is all that unreasonable :drunk:

Sorry for the rant haha, reading it back that came across angrier than I meant it to :tearsofjoy:

"We believe in generations", farkin lol. By the time this comes out it will have been almost 2 years since the PS5 launched - how long are they gonna do this cross generation thing for 1st party games for? 3 years? 5? By comparison, Infamous Second Son came out 5 months after PS4 launched, with no cross gen version.

They'll say the right things around PS5 availability and wanting everyone to be able to experience and game etc., but thats a complete furphy imo - PS5 is selling faster than PS4 according to Sony, so even with the availability problems there are already more PS5s in the wild than there were PS4 at the same amount of time after launch. Its double dipping pure and simple - which they're entitled to do, its their business. But geez, not doing a whole lot of favours for PS5 owners.

I'm sure the game will be great, but end of the day its being developed to run on last gen hardware with additional bells and whistles tacked on for current gen. I don't think expecting Sony to develop their own games for their own current/flagship hardware from the ground up is all that unreasonable :drunk:

Sorry for the rant haha, reading it back that came across angrier than I meant it to :tearsofjoy:

Haha, it’s all good mate. I guess I didn’t think of it that way but you do make a great point.

I get your point regarding not wanting the game constrained by the limitations of last gen hardware and how you would want a flagship game of this to really show off the power of the new console. However, they were aiming for this year to release the game and had been developing with PS4 in mind already. It probably seems needles at this point, then, to drop that version of the game, when PS4 considerations would have already influenced the final game's outcome.

I get your point regarding not wanting the game constrained by the limitations of last gen hardware and how you would want a flagship game of this to really show off the power of the new console. However, they were aiming for this year to release the game and had been developing with PS4 in mind already. It probably seems needles at this point, then, to drop that version of the game, when PS4 considerations would have already influenced the final game's outcome.

That was the case for Horizon, it started development as a PS4 game.

But I don't believe it was the case for for God of War despite what Sony are saying, and it definitely wasn't for Gran Turismo - Sony promoted that as a PS5 exclusive in December 2020.

I do get it though - despite already selling more PS5s than at the equivalent time in PS4's life cycle, coz of the supply constraints there's less upside and incentive this gen to put games like God of War and Gran Turismo only on the new console. Releasing them only on PS5 wouldn't get them the bump that system-sellers like that usually would if everyone could just walk into a store and buy one.

Last edited:
That was the case for Horizon, it started development as a PS4 game.

But I don't believe it was the case for for God of War despite what Sony are saying, and it definitely wasn't for Gran Turismo - Sony promoted that as a PS5 exclusive in December 2020.

I do get it though - despite already selling more PS5s than at the equivalent time in PS4's life cycle, coz of the supply constraints there's less upside and incentive this gen to put games like God of War and Gran Turismo only on the new console. Releasing them only on PS5 wouldn't get them the bump that system-sellers like that usually would if everyone could just walk into a store and buy one.
They have plenty of time to get supply back up before then. I'm really surprised they haven't gone with PS5 exclusive only at this stage (1.5-2 years out) and then release a PS4 version afterwards with time put into downgrading it if PS5's are not available. Therefore generations are maintained, nothing needs to be retracted, people don't delay in getting a PS5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back