GOD to return to Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

BrainOfMorbius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

O'Donnell, mmmmmmmmm is that a bit too much of a step back??

We have Voss, Rawlings and Woewodin on board as "new breed" types. Gary O'Donnell's experience will be a nice blend alongside that I think.

He was around during our glory era, he would have a lot to bring to the table.

We have Voss, Rawlings and Woewodin on board as "new breed" types. Gary O'Donnell's experience will be a nice blend alongside that I think.

Yep, I can live with that. We really do need some more experienced guys around he club IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, he's a good bloke, but why has he never seriously been considered for a senior coaching role.
I'm suspicious.

Perhaps he actually doesn't want to be....could be quite happy just doing the assisting bit..maybe doesn't want all the added pressure/stress of the job, yet is still very involved etc..

Something is telling me that I read this quite a few years back..

..also Mr Hird would see him as a threat at Bomberland...an ex captain and all..

Perhaps he actually doesn't want to be....could be quite happy just doing the assisting bit..maybe doesn't want all the added pressure/stress of the job, yet is still very involved etc..

Something is telling me that I read this quite a few years back..

Pretty sure you are right.

Is on the record as saying he doesn't harbour senior coaching ambitions, but has a long term view of getting into the football administration side of things.

I had fix up your defensive game-plan and kick-ins more in mind.injuries prob cant be helped until you find out who is sticking pins in your voodoo doll and possibly get rid of that pitch

Kick ins have been an issue but when fit we are a good defensive unit with a good game. We had 4 of our best 6 out for a long period of time last year. In fact it was telling that when Jed Adcock came back after long term injury within a game or two the back 6 functioned a lot stronger.

GOD has always said he preferred working in the back office more so than as a assistant coach. I think he would prefer to work as the GM more so than a assistant coach.

there was an article bout 2 weeks back that i mentioned in the footy department thread, that said we were looking at Lappin as an assistant as well was O'Donnell as assistant or GM. Then also mentioed Drain from StK as another GM option. Wouldn't surprise me to have GOD as a GM and Maybe Choco as an assistant. Especially if what people say about GOD is correct, that he wants more so the admin side and not the Head Coach side.

I completely agree. Good to have some experience in the mix.

I like the idea of him returning:thumbsu:

I'd love to have Nigel Lappin as A/Coach in Brisbane but can't really see that happening - he always wanted to move back to Victoria when his playing days were done.

Gary O'Donnell was with us for a long time working under Matthews and, very importantly, he was with us during our most successful years. He has loads of experience and I think he's just the sort of man Vossy needs to support him. I always felt he enjoyed flying under the radar a little bit and can recall him saying he had no ambition to be a senior coach. So I'm with you MM, I like the idea of him returning too :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back