Remove this Banner Ad

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
Hugh Goddard pushes himself too hard.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-30/saint-goddard-collapses-at-sunshine-coast-training
YOUNG St Kilda defender Hugh Goddard will spend the night in a Sunshine Coast hospital after suffering from heat stroke on Monday.

Goddard was rushed to hospital in an ambulance from the Maroochydore Multisport Complex after collapsing to the ground following a taxing running session.

St Kilda officials were quickly by his side with water, cold towels and bags of ice, before the 19-year-old was then injected with an intravenous saline drip from paramedics.

Goddard is now doing well but will be kept in hospital overnight to monitor his condition.

"Hugh pushed himself probably a little too hard," general manager of football performance Jamie Cox said.

"He suffered the effects of the sun and he has had to be taken to hospital just to be monitored.

"We can fortunately say he is going OK. He will stay in tonight but he's doing really well, which is pleasing."

It was day two of the club's pre-season training camp on Queensland's Sunshine Coast after they arrived on Sunday.

Goddard, a second-year defender, was running strongly until the final couple of one-minute efforts where he began to stagger in the stifling humidity.

After two years of pre-season training at Arizona's altitude and then another two in New Zealand, St Kilda has joined the growing trend of teams heading to the Sunshine Coast – 110km north of Brisbane.

Cox said Goddard would have no lasting effects from the heat exhaustion.

My man.

Hugh Goddard is why Chuck Norris has a night light.

He has only two speeds; full bore and face-melting.

Well apparently stkilda has changed how players get there water. They now have to run to boundary to get water, rather than a water persons/trainer running to them. Similar too port adelaide apparently.
May have to rethink that, if this is related.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon the intrusion.

This got me interested in 'duty of care' in regards to pushing players physically especially in hot conditions (I'm talking about all clubs)

Players are expected to give it their all or face getting blasted or dropped both on field and on the track. What happens when something like this happens?

Cox says 'he probably over did it " but he would have been pushed to over do it and now he's in hospital?

Again, not having a go at the saints here because every club does it and would say the exact same thing.

Pardon the intrusion.

This got me interested in 'duty of care' in regards to pushing players physically especially in hot conditions (I'm talking about all clubs)

Players are expected to give it their all or face getting blasted or dropped both on field and on the track. What happens when something like this happens?

Cox says 'he probably over did it " but he would have been pushed to over do it and now he's in hospital?

Again, not having a go at the saints here because every club does it and would say the exact same thing.

love the avatar btw... its a valid concern, but i dont think he would have been put at risk by the club. the players are their most important asset

you would see more people pass out from heat exhaustion at various work sites around perth come summer

Pardon the intrusion.

He's a Goddard, they aren't built for the sun.
He is a competitive beast, just pushed himself too far. I would have been worried about duty of care if no one called for medical help. The fact they did shows they performed duty of care in my eyes. The media are drama queens. Our boys are in good hands.

Pardon the intrusion.

I see where your coming from. You'd think players welfare is well above fitness results.
But with Goddard and some other young players, theirs a bit of inexperience from them, only being there 2nd preseason. Experienced players know there boundarys, Goddard still finding his.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back