Rumour Goddard to GWS? Nah - Collingwood supporters think he's coming to them

Remove this Banner Ad

ChrisFooty

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Do you think Goddard will stay? A few people on the GWS board seem confident that Goddard as signed a deal.

I always thought Goddard was contracted to the end of 2012. So he could not be signed as an uncontracted player. This would make things more complicated as a deal would need to be reached between GWS and St.kilda.

Interesting Mathhew Lloyd apparenty has stated a big name player has signed with GWS but was not talked about in the media all that much. Interesting if true.

Lets hope he stays! And maybe captain.

Re: Goddard to GWS?

Goddard may or may not stay.

But GWS are far from a certainty in terms of where he is going.

Collingwood are into him HARD for Free Agency, and Bucks and Perty had a meeting with him earlier in the year. Whether we can afford/get him or not is another story, but I do know that Collingwood want him BAD.

Dunno how many times we have to say this, GODDARD IS CONTRACTED UNTIL END 2012... So he cannot be taken as uncontracted player this season.

and LOL at Collingwood, if they can "fit" BJ under the salary cap then its clear that you guys are cheating bastards (if your not already ;) )

Collingwood are into him HARD for Free Agency, and Bucks and Perty had a meeting with him earlier in the year. Whether we can afford/get him or not is another story, but I do know that Collingwood want him BAD.
LOL! Good luck with that buddy :thumbsu::thumbsu::D:D

Goddard has a contract for 2012
GWS can't afford him when they have paid scully 2 mill for first year- and he would be worth more than that and far more first round picks
Pies would need more players than bally playing for nothing to get him

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously this is the guy that still thinks players will come to a club because they barracked for them.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously this is the guy that still thinks players will come to a club because they barracked for them.

Are you guys reading something into my post that I'm not seeing?

All I said was that Collingwood want him. I did explicitly say IF they can afford him.

I never said we'll get him. I just said we're AFTER him. I doubt we're the only team who is waiting for Free Agency to kick in to get Goddard.

All I said was that Collingwood want him. I did explicitly say IF they can afford him.

I never said we'll get him. I just said we're AFTER him. I doubt we're the only team who is waiting for Free Agency to kick in to get Goddard.

Yeah and so does everyone else. What would you think Collingwood would give us for him.

Yeah well I'm guessing we'd like Pendlebury but we don't all get what we want do we? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Isn't that the point of Free Agency?

We don't have to give anything.

From Sydney & also a NRL fan. Free agency combined with a salary cap means you can go for whomever you like but unless you cheat the salary cap, to gain a star you need to lose a star.

So to gain Goodard you will have to give up somebody like Swan, Thomas, etc. What happens is a team sees they need a certain position filled & is willing to lose a good player in another position to fill it. If they obtain their target, there is a free player on the market & a team with a gap & free cap. Several moves later among several teams & it is stable again.

Not that different from trading, but the club has less power to say no & it can happen at any time. Even in the AFL without free agency, in practice a player can leave to the club of their choice, see Luke Ball.

From Sydney & also a NRL fan. Free agency combined with a salary cap means you can go for whomever you like but unless you cheat the salary cap, to gain a star you need to lose a star.

Not always. A lot of assumptions are being made for that to be a definitive call.

For Goddard to even WANT to leave St.Kilda, I doubt he'd be leaving for money, he'd be leaving for success, so you could then assume money isn't the issue.

This also discounts the cap situation of the team he wants to go to. Are their highest paid players on the Vets list? (ours aren't I'm just saying), are some contracts back ended? which would mean by the time Goddard wants to go, they're paying the smaller half of contracts (see Luke Ball).

Again, we're dealing in hypotheticals here. Collingwood for example, will obviously lose players through delistings and retirements, and will have players on the veterans list by the end of 2012. Who knows, we may lose a player like Pendlebury to GWS.

In the case of us losing Pendlebury, then there'd be nothing stopping us from being able to afford Goddard now would there? But of course, if we manage to keep Pendlebury AND all the other required stars (Reid, Cloke plus the other 12 coming out of contract in 2012) then yes, I'd say it would take some seriously clever accounting and a lot of players taking pay cuts to get Goddard on board AND keep the team together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not always. A lot of assumptions are being made for that to be a definitive call.

For Goddard to even WANT to leave St.Kilda, I doubt he'd be leaving for money, he'd be leaving for success, so you could then assume money isn't the issue.

This also discounts the cap situation of the team he wants to go to. Are their highest paid players on the Vets list? (ours aren't I'm just saying), are some contracts back ended? which would mean by the time Goddard wants to go, they're paying the smaller half of contracts (see Luke Ball).

Again, we're dealing in hypotheticals here. Collingwood for example, will obviously lose players through delistings and retirements, and will have players on the veterans list by the end of 2012. Who knows, we may lose a player like Pendlebury to GWS.

In the case of us losing Pendlebury, then there'd be nothing stopping us from being able to afford Goddard now would there? But of course, if we manage to keep Pendlebury AND all the other required stars (Reid, Cloke plus the other 12 coming out of contract in 2012) then yes, I'd say it would take some seriously clever accounting and a lot of players taking pay cuts to get Goddard on board AND keep the team together.

I suggest you learn how free agency works then get back to us. :thumbsu: Collingwood would have to come up with a trade to get Goddard.

I have just heard from a friend of a friends, aunties, uncles, dogs, cat that out whole team is leaving for Collingwood and Mick Lairhouse is taking any surplus players to GWS. They heard this from Mick himself, and he never lies.

Ill put an end to it, I know BJ personally and he isn't going anywhere this year unless he gets traded, which is highly unlikely.

In regards to GWS at the end of 2012, its 50-50 at this stage. I will say the fact that GWS has recruited McDonald at age 35 has not helped their cause in getting him.

Ill put an end to it, I know BJ personally and he isn't going anywhere this year unless he gets traded, which is highly unlikely.

In regards to GWS at the end of 2012, its 50-50 at this stage. I will say the fact that GWS has recruited McDonald at age 35 has not helped their cause in getting him.
How do you know him?

Why would that have any issue with him signing with them next year. He is only on a 1 year playing contract to get them through to their raid on big names next season....

I think it's just a matter of time until he goes. Going by his radio comments a while ago where he said at some point players will start thinking of their long term security rather than loyalty and the fact that most of the players are finding it impossible to knock back a ridiculous amount of money means he's as good as gone IMO.

Damn these new teams.

I think it's just a matter of time until he goes. Going by his radio comments a while ago where he said at some point players will start thinking of their long term security rather than loyalty and the fact that most of the players are finding it impossible to knock back a ridiculous amount of money means he's as good as gone IMO.

Damn these new teams.
If so I'd prefer him to leave now so that we can actually get compensation.

I think Goddard is driven as much by on field success as money so whilst GWS might be able to provide the money I doubt they can provide the on field success he wants in the short term.

Like Gold Coast it will probably take GWS at least 5 years to become a decent finals team with a chance of premiership success, by that stage Goddard will be near the end of his career. If we can remain successful on field and in premiership contention then hopefully that will sway Goddard to stay.

I'd be gutted if he left for GWS but I'd prefer that then to see him go to Collingwood. To see Goddard run around in a Collingwood jumper would destroy me.

I think Goddard is driven as much by on field success as money so whilst GWS might be able to provide the money I doubt they can provide the on field success he wants in the short term.

Like Gold Coast it will probably take GWS at least 5 years to become a decent finals team with a chance of premiership success, by that stage Goddard will be near the end of his career. If we can remain successful on field and in premiership contention then hopefully that will sway Goddard to stay.

I'd be gutted if he left for GWS but I'd prefer that then to see him go to Collingwood. To see Goddard run around in a Collingwood jumper would destroy me.
Why would he go to Collingwood? The only reason he'd leave is for a ridiculous amount of money and and Collingwood can't offer him that.

And if he went to GWS there's the outside possibility we'd get something.
If he went to the dark side, they'd bend the rules again to ensure we got nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back