Going Forward (The Future)

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is a list of players that shouldn't have played in the GF because they were carrying an injury (of those we know) & "you shouldn't play anyone that isn't 100% in a GF"!

Naismith, down on his usual best - Shoulder reconstruction post season.
Buddy, down on his best, we think ankle which didn't help but - post season shoulder surgery.
Parker, down on usual best with his knee injury.
Kennedy, was his magnificent self, if not better even though he carried a knee injury into the game.
Mills, well down on his best - missed last 3 weeks with a hamstring injury.
McVeigh, down on his best but offers a different dimension as coach out there on the ground - missed previous week with a calf injury.
Rohan, well down on his game, seemed proppy but always does.

Based on the other players above that failed to perform on the day, McVeigh is the last player I would criticise as he was part of the defence that in that last quarter, was inundated with repeat forward 50 entries by the Dogs, due to the collapse of our midfield group other than Kennedy until the last 10 minutes of the lastQ.
The last player to be criticised because he was a member of a besieged defence? Hmm.......nah......McVeigh cops his due because he played in a pretty good unit which helped prop him up and because he was Captain and because he forced his way into the team when we all knew that his calf could become an issue. He played out the game...so the calf was only half way bad. Did he dominate the game out of defence? No he didn't. The weapon that he might have provided was not on show. He was never going to be that extra midfielder who could open up the central corridor by precise delivery or speed of foot. Would Marsh have been a better bet? Hmm.....maybe. Certainly a better lock down player. Jones will be the way forward. A young tyro who takes the game on. And Reid. We need him as the link out when we get cornered down there in defence. Otherwise other teams do to us what we do to them.

The basis of your argument is that he is not respected within the supporter base (not disputing) but with all due respect the supporter base does not have any bearing on how an individual player is respected within the club, who captains club and thankfully and most importantly who is selected to play for the club.

I certainly value your opinion, but the club over a very long period of time has earned mine and the industries respect, and the administration and coaching panel have the credibility to be able to select the captain and team who they believe will best represent the club both on and off the field.

Nothing personal mate but unless you have access to the inner sanctum you have absolutely no idea what happens inside the four walls of the club and your opinion is based solely on what you observe from afar. The club has the runs on the board, our culture is the envy of the rest of the competition and I'll back them in to do the right thing for the club.
I don't need to be part of the mindset that gifts McVeigh the Captaincy. The very best place to question the decision is from outside. Brett Kirk did not have McVeigh's talent, but was a far better Captain. Harley was a great Captain at Geelong but by a measure of football ability there were many others who were far better than him in their team...but he was the respected Captain from a champion team.
Supporters do have a role to play and whilst I generally agree with your points in this regard, do not forget the role that the fan base had in keeping Roos as our coach when another different deal had already been stitched up within the inner sanctum.
The respect that the team has earned on and off the field by all and sundry does not provide a shield against an individual's criticism. That borders on religious type faith and is quite simply a nonsense. Just because Longmire likes what McVeigh offers as a Captain does not mean that I cannot disagree with Longmire's confidence in McVeigh. What does McVeigh offer as a captain? Rate him against every other Captain in the competition if you are so confident that his skills as a skipper are so self evident.

The last player to be criticised because he was a member of a besieged defence? Hmm.......nah......McVeigh cops his due because he played in a pretty good unit which helped prop him up and because he was Captain and because he forced his way into the team when we all knew that his calf could become an issue. He played out the game...so the calf was only half way bad. Did he dominate the game out of defence? No he didn't. The weapon that he might have provided was not on show. He was never going to be that extra midfielder who could open up the central corridor by precise delivery or speed of foot. Would Marsh have been a better bet? Hmm.....maybe. Certainly a better lock down player. Jones will be the way forward. A young tyro who takes the game on. And Reid. We need him as the link out when we get cornered down there in defence. Otherwise other teams do to us what we do to them.
I think we get it mate, you don't rate McVeigh ... but seriously let it go not every post you do needs be a deposition about how you think he's not even NEAFL worthy :rolleyes:

I think we get it mate, you don't rate McVeigh ... but seriously let it go not every post you do needs be a deposition about how you think he's not even NEAFL worthy :rolleyes:
You clearly have no appreciation of what I have been banging on about. I believe that McVeigh is eminently worthy of the NEAFL. But maybe you know me better than I know myself. You're right .Perhaps a tad too expensive to be a playing assistant coach to Shawry.

You clearly have no appreciation of what I have been banging on about. I believe that McVeigh is eminently worthy of the NEAFL. But maybe you know me better than I know myself. You're right .Perhaps a tad too expensive to be a playing assistant coach to Shawry.
I have appreciation for it, I just don't agree with it.

I like your faith in the young players in the McGoos. That was the revelation for me this season. I look forward to seeing what Leonardis, Newman, Dawson, O'Riordan, Foote and others can provide next season. I also look forward to the return of Reid and AJ. McVeigh's time as a protected species must be over. The Captaincy must be passed on to someone who is respected. If given to Parker...it will make him a better player I believe. Our list is in great shape..much better than we would ever have anticipated at the start of the 2016 season.

What's more I think, if we retain him, Melican is going to be a very good player. He is a key back who can play tall or medium.

Our young developing ruck is Galloway. He is very raw and skinny but if he can gain a few kilos and start actually playing in the ruck he might just develop. Has some good skills, just not seeing enough yet.

Do we keep James Rose. He seems to have gone out of favour. Had quite a good NEAFL season.

Same with Brandon Jack. Is he going to be de-listed? He had a very good season in the NEAFL.

Harry Cunningham had a very mixed season. Wonderful early but as the season went on he seemed to lose form. Played really well in the NEAFL.

Abe Davis had soft tissue injuries this year at wrong time. Just when we needed a pair of good defenders he got injured. He never regained the form he had early in the season when he went back.

I would be really unhappy to lose Toby Nankervis. If Richmond indeed trade for him it would be sad as I don't think he would be that happy there even getting games. If Tip, guaranteed to be injured for at least 1/3 of the season, is not in then Toby is a walk up. He could also keep Tip out if he starts to really hold his marks and kick a few goals.

Jack Hiscox is gone, gone, gone. just didn't come on this year. That one game he played against Richmond was dreadful. Don't understand why the coaches even though him ready. I had watched a few reserves games up until that time and was astounded.

Will Sam reid even get on the park next year? Seems Sam is just like his brother, injury prone. Great when he is up and about but most times he is down and out.

Looks like we are keeping Dean Towers on the list and are negotiating a new contract as soon as Heens signs.

Callum Sinclair really needs to hold his marks. He played well in the first two games and took some real beauties. But from then on it was all downhill as he dropped plenty. He was just ordinary after a great start.

I think we really missed Daniel Robinson after he got injured. In the early games he was very good. He is an interesting player. Has a wonderful sidestep. His delivery is generally very good. Takes a pretty good overhead mark in a contest. Is pretty quick. I like Robbo. I think he is one of our future stars.

Jordan Dawson is a very talented player who takes no s**t. He is that Peter Curran prototype, just like Gunston, who can kick very long play KF, wing, HF or in the mids. This kid got injured mid season but returned to play well and then almost great footy in the end. He is could be anything. Just a matter of who with.

I'm glad Harry marsh came good. He was very good when we drafted him in his first games in the reserves. then he got injured. It seems the injury did him no favours. But in their wisdom the development coaches sent him back. He should have played in the GF. I tthink he has developed nicely.

Jordan Foote. What a wonderful surprise this bloke has turned out to be. Wow! He is going to be a really very good mid. He has the strength, grunt and hardness of a Joey and the pace of a Kizza. Like this bloke. I'd give him to Kirkie to develop as they have come the same path.

Sam Murray. This little bloke is turning out to be Papley Mark II. But the difference is he can play back, mids & forward. He certainly knows where the goals are. Had a delayed start to the season but really broke out when he got the opportunity.

That's all folks. Our list is very healthy. Now to draft some hard, tough, talented, great delivery, fast mids, don't worry about the key backs they are already there.

What evidence do you have that he is not respected?
I'll give you granted that he is not respected by some here on BF, but from everything I have seen or heard he seems to me to have the respect of the leadership group, the playing group as a whole, the coaches and the administration.
I'm not disputing that he is at the crossroads in regards to where he is at as a player, but to suggest that he is not respected is pure fanciful speculation.

Macca is respected. This shows as the captaincy is an elected position. But I don't think he is right for this team, by that I mean these players. Parks is the one for these young players.

Parker until GF day maybe

Parker was pretty good in the GF. Played more forward & Heens more mids. He got tagged and blocked very badly (should have got at least 10 frees for holding but not one). He tried to get us going in the last. Tried his heart out but some of our blokes just didn't take up the mantle.

Rohan needs to take the next step, he has way too many poor games. The gulf between his good and bad is too wide.

Agree very strongly with this statement. He was woeful in the GF. doesn't come up in big games. Needs to do something about that.

Macca is respected. This shows as the captaincy is an elected position. But I don't think he is right for this team, by that I mean these players. Parks is the one for these young players.
I personally agree with you but not necessarily with Parker, but notwithstanding that I also will back in whoever they elect to lead the club as the greater playing group and thereafter leadership group are probably better placed then myself to decide who they want their captain to be.

Agree very strongly with this statement. He was woeful in the GF. doesn't come up in big games. Needs to do something about that.

Again we can't base this "big game" tag on two games out of the last 3 seasons. Rohan had outstanding finals series in 2014 and this year, and he's always thrived in top four games against our main rival in Hawthorn. Just because he, and Parker for that matter, let themselves down in two games that were unfortunately very important, doesn't mean they're not big game players.

What's more I think, if we retain him, Melican is going to be a very good player. He is a key back who can play tall or medium.

Our young developing ruck is Galloway. He is very raw and skinny but if he can gain a few kilos and start actually playing in the ruck he might just develop. Has some good skills, just not seeing enough yet.

Do we keep James Rose. He seems to have gone out of favour. Had quite a good NEAFL season.

Same with Brandon Jack. Is he going to be de-listed? He had a very good season in the NEAFL.

Harry Cunningham had a very mixed season. Wonderful early but as the season went on he seemed to lose form. Played really well in the NEAFL.

Abe Davis had soft tissue injuries this year at wrong time. Just when we needed a pair of good defenders he got injured. He never regained the form he had early in the season when he went back.

I would be really unhappy to lose Toby Nankervis. If Richmond indeed trade for him it would be sad as I don't think he would be that happy there even getting games. If Tip, guaranteed to be injured for at least 1/3 of the season, is not in then Toby is a walk up. He could also keep Tip out if he starts to really hold his marks and kick a few goals.

Jack Hiscox is gone, gone, gone. just didn't come on this year. That one game he played against Richmond was dreadful. Don't understand why the coaches even though him ready. I had watched a few reserves games up until that time and was astounded.

Will Sam reid even get on the park next year? Seems Sam is just like his brother, injury prone. Great when he is up and about but most times he is down and out.

Looks like we are keeping Dean Towers on the list and are negotiating a new contract as soon as Heens signs.

Callum Sinclair really needs to hold his marks. He played well in the first two games and took some real beauties. But from then on it was all downhill as he dropped plenty. He was just ordinary after a great start.

I think we really missed Daniel Robinson after he got injured. In the early games he was very good. He is an interesting player. Has a wonderful sidestep. His delivery is generally very good. Takes a pretty good overhead mark in a contest. Is pretty quick. I like Robbo. I think he is one of our future stars.

Jordan Dawson is a very talented player who takes no s**t. He is that Peter Curran prototype, just like Gunston, who can kick very long play KF, wing, HF or in the mids. This kid got injured mid season but returned to play well and then almost great footy in the end. He is could be anything. Just a matter of who with.

I'm glad Harry marsh came good. He was very good when we drafted him in his first games in the reserves. then he got injured. It seems the injury did him no favours. But in their wisdom the development coaches sent him back. He should have played in the GF. I tthink he has developed nicely.

Jordan Foote. What a wonderful surprise this bloke has turned out to be. Wow! He is going to be a really very good mid. He has the strength, grunt and hardness of a Joey and the pace of a Kizza. Like this bloke. I'd give him to Kirkie to develop as they have come the same path.

Sam Murray. This little bloke is turning out to be Papley Mark II. But the difference is he can play back, mids & forward. He certainly knows where the goals are. Had a delayed start to the season but really broke out when he got the opportunity.

That's all folks. Our list is very healthy. Now to draft some hard, tough, talented, great delivery, fast mids, don't worry about the key backs they are already there.

Melican was a Geelong Falcon. I recall that when he was drafted by us, Michael Turner felt that he was a real smokie and could become something special. Agreed regarding the rucks - almost a given that Tip will break down sometime next season and have some time out. Nank offers us great insurance, but I'm not sure that he would be happy to be seen as the journeyman ruck. The real issue is Sinclair. If he holds his marks we will have a winner. His 400K a year has been a poor investment so far. He has the potential to be seen as a very cheap pick up and a shrewd exchange for Jets. But it's a gamble that is not shaping well.
I am really happy to read of your enthusiasm for Foote, Dawson and Murray. We seem to have done really well at the selection table over the last couple of years.
I too think that Marsh should have played in the GF. I think that he would have done better than either Mills or McVeigh. He would have played a different role and that's probably why he was not selected, as the selectors saw too much positive upside in Mills and McVeigh. And Robbo was a loss when he went down. In our best 22, but will have lots of competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is your take on Leonardis? I have read that he reads the game well, has a powerful kick and has the cohunas to take the game on and back his judgement. Might need to respect his opponent and sharpen his shutdown instincts?

While I'm generally sympathetic to your point given rohan's injuries i dont think his years are the same as grants. his are more like the opposite of dog years
Turtle years maybe? lol ;):p They live for 150 years

You might be right, but I'm willing to wait and see once he has had that full pre-season. He really is a beautiful kick and currently it is one of the skills that is in short supply at the swans at the moment, and he has really good footy smarts as well. Contrary to the popular belief on BF that he is selfish, I don't see him that way... I think that if he and Horse decide that he is not going to cut it, he will step down and hand the captaincy over. And mentoring doesn't necessarily have to be done during the game, and can be done while playing NEAFL. Simply being available for discussion and review can be mentoring... although I must admit, I'm hoping it will be done from within the team.

Time will no doubt tell us both...

Actually I don't agree that good kicking is in short supply at the Swans. All our younger players were drafted because of just that, they are good kicks. With Benny & Teddy retiring we bring in two more good kicks in Aliir and Newman. The players who had trouble hitting the side of a barn are gone. While Macca was one of our better deliverers of the ball his output this year has been very ordinary unless in space. Even then he stuffed up in crucial moments. Against GWS his kicking was one of the reasons we lost. he got plenty of ball but wasted about 70%, most ending up in GWS hands after Macca kicked the ball to a teammates feet.

Good kicks st the Swans

Buddy
Lloydy
Papley
Parks
Aliir
Mills
Heens
Robinson
Towers (if he is on his long kicking to position is sensational)
Rohan (generally, sometimes clangers too but in general very good)
X Richards
Newman
Murray
Foote (he has improved his delivery no end)
Naismith
Marsh
O'Riordan
Melican
Jones (delivery was thought to be a weakness but it hasn't proved that way)
Toby
Ramps
Hewitt
Leonardis
Talia
Dawson

What's more players like Joey, Hannas, Reg, Smithy, Laids, Kizza etc have improved their delivery no end.

What is your take on Leonardis? I have read that he reads the game well, has a powerful kick and has the cohunas to take the game on and back his judgement. Might need to respect his opponent and sharpen his shutdown instincts?

They put him at HB a couple of times during the year to give him a message about picking up his opponent. It seemed to work. He is a great kick and boycan he get it and run and dodge and weave. Very clever little bugger. I'd keep him. End up on a wing I think.

Actually I don't agree that good kicking is in short supply at the Swans. All our younger players were drafted because of just that, they are good kicks. With Benny & Teddy retiring we bring in two more good kicks in Aliir and Newman. The players who had trouble hitting the side of a barn are gone. While Macca was one of our better deliverers of the ball his output this year has been very ordinary unless in space. Even then he stuffed up in crucial moments. Against GWS his kicking was one of the reasons we lost. he got plenty of ball but wasted about 70%, most ending up in GWS hands after Macca kicked the ball to a teammates feet.

Good kicks st the Swans

Buddy
Lloydy
Papley
Parks
Aliir
Mills
Heens
Robinson
Towers (if he is on his long kicking to position is sensational)
Rohan (generally, sometimes clangers too but in general very good)
X Richards
Newman
Murray
Foote (he has improved his delivery no end)
Naismith
Marsh
O'Riordan
Melican
Jones (delivery was thought to be a weakness but it hasn't proved that way)
Toby
Ramps
Hewitt
Leonardis
Talia
Dawson

What's more players like Joey, Hannas, Reg, Smithy, Laids, Kizza etc have improved their delivery no end.

I haven't seen the reserves play, so I'm not willing to comment on a number of those players. At this stage, I still think that none of them have Macca's level of foot skills combined with his footy nous & experience, except Buddy.

I've been aware all season that many posters believe he is too old, too slow and too pointy; and is in fact, detrimental to the side. I disagree. And I think that if he was detrimental to the side, both he and Horse would have recognised that and dropped him.

As neither of them have, I'm certainly not going to consider dumping him as either captain or player, until after I have seen the preseason outcome. Maybe then if he doesn't pull up better, I'll join the band wagon but not yet... But hey, I'm happy for you to disagree with me ;)

They put him at HB a couple of times during the year to give him a message about picking up his opponent. It seemed to work. He is a great kick and boycan he get it and run and dodge and weave. Very clever little bugger. I'd keep him. End up on a wing I think.
Many thanks for the critiques of our developing players. We won't be able to keep them all, but it sounds like we have the list to cover most needs. Melican is your replacement for Grundy? Murray replaces Benny? Foote or Robbo or Leonardis for Mitchell? And it would seem a project ruckman is now needed to replace Galloway.

I haven't seen the reserves play, so I'm not willing to comment on a number of those players. At this stage, I still think that none of them have Macca's level of foot skills combined with his footy nous & experience, except Buddy.

I've been aware all season that many posters believe he is too old, too slow and too pointy; and is in fact, detrimental to the side. I disagree. And I think that if he was detrimental to the side, both he and Horse would have recognised that and dropped him.

As neither of them have, I'm certainly not going to consider dumping him as either captain or player, until after I have seen the preseason outcome. Maybe then if he doesn't pull up better, I'll join the band wagon but not yet... But hey, I'm happy for you to disagree with me ;)

I have reservations about McVeigh's Captaincy but shall put those aside. His nous, experience and quality of delivery - what he adds/detracts to/from our team is what the future discussion shall be about. If McVeigh is no longer capable of stints rotating through the midfield, then his value is severely eroded. If he is not capable of launching attacks with well directed kicks to our advantage from the half back, then again his value is diminished. ( That GWS game of his was a howler. ) How he pulls up after this year's pre season will determine his footy fate. A fit McVeigh is a step ahead of where he has been this year - and that might be all he needs to find the time and space that has gone missing.

I am intrigued by your critique of Dawson. He played senior footy for Sturt I think before being drafted and played some game time there at CHF. Tough gig for an 18 year old. To compare him to Gunston and then end with the suggestion that he might play elsewhere suggests that we should be looking after this kid's future before somebody else steals him away. In your opinion he is clearly a keeper??

I have reservations about McVeigh's Captaincy but shall put those aside. His nous, experience and quality of delivery - what he adds/detracts to/from our team is what the future discussion shall be about. If McVeigh is no longer capable of stints rotating through the midfield, then his value is severely eroded. If he is not capable of launching attacks with well directed kicks to our advantage from the half back, then again his value is diminished. ( That GWS game of his was a howler. ) How he pulls up after this year's pre season will determine his footy fate. A fit McVeigh is a step ahead of where he has been this year - and that might be all he needs to find the time and space that has gone missing.
I agree with all of this, but will wait on the preseason... cause if he is still good enough, then he definitely adds value in my opinion, if not, then I don't think that we will have anything to worry about as he will either drop himself or Horse will. Regarding that GWS match, he was not alone having a horror game... and the captaincy, I think he will do the right thing by the team and Horse... We all seem to forget that he was Best Clubman in 2014. He has a long history of doing the right thing by the club... so you can bet that whether or not he plays on &/or stays captain, it's because that is what the club and players want.

I agree with all of this, but will wait on the preseason... cause if he is still good enough, then he definitely adds value in my opinion, if not, then I don't think that we will have anything to worry about as he will either drop himself or Horse will. Regarding that GWS match, he was not alone having a horror game... and the captaincy, I think he will do the right thing by the team and Horse... We all seem to forget that he was Best Clubman in 2014. He has a long history of doing the right thing by the club... so you can bet that whether or not he plays on &/or stays captain, it's because that is what the club and players want.
Yes, I do like many of the character traits of the man. He is loyal to the Club and even tempered and without an ounce of malice in him. He will eventually walk away from the game and he will be able to reflect on a career that has many highlights and nil blemishes. I hope that you are right and that he walks before he is pushed. I would love him to have an uninterrupted pre season and regain that extra yard - because that is all it takes at this elite level to be the difference between being required and being surplus..

I am intrigued by your critique of Dawson. He played senior footy for Sturt I think before being drafted and played some game time there at CHF. Tough gig for an 18 year old. To compare him to Gunston and then end with the suggestion that he might play elsewhere suggests that we should be looking after this kid's future before somebody else steals him away. In your opinion he is clearly a keeper??
Bloody oath he is. Kicks 75 metres, can take a big mark & is a very accurate kick for goal even outside 50. When he gets a mark 60 or less from goal the players all expect him to kick for goal. He does and doesn't miss too many. High end talent who was injured all but 8 games, 6 of which he played in Sturt's league side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back