Going Organic & Vegan

Remove this Banner Ad

Organic is worth considering if ethics concern you. I have no interest in going vegetarian/vegan but I have ethical issues with many aspects of meat production, so I try to support producers of organic products wherever possible.

If i buy meat then it is organic and that is for ethical reasons. Fruit and veg i buy a mixture of organic, depending where i buy it from. I like going to farmers markets for produce, i like the idea of buying local, but if i can't make it am happy to go to a market near me that isn't organic. I avoid buying fruit and veg from the supermarket because it's way more expensive than the other places i go.

Although the benefits of GM agriculture has incredible potential I think we should take a measured approach until we understand the long term impacts.

Coming up to 2.5 years off red meat and alcohol, feel quite good.

I still eat a fair amount of fish, so my levels are fine. Staples in my diet seem to be salmon, brown rice, broccoli, tomatoes, carrots, dried figs n apricots, blueberries and wholegrain bread/muesli bars.

I was talking to a farmer mate and he was saying that the soil preparation is a lot more intensive and has to be worked up a lot more which perhaps reduces some of the benefits of organic farming. Most grain farming is all based on very minimal soil disturbance.
The spraying with herbicides and pesticides is another issue

I'm a semi-vegetarian. I don't eat red meat.

That makes you a pollotarian. :)

I've chosen to not eat anything I couldn't kill. That took out all land animals and left me with seafood only.
There's even a name for it, being Pescetarian. Don't care much for labels but glad I made the decision as at least I feel somewhat honest to myself.

It was incredibly easy to give up red meat and as with anything that is clearly wrong, I now find it quite disgusting watching people participate in shredding meat off the bone with their teeth and especially so with kids. Sit down at your next barbecue and watch with an open mind and you may just see what I now see.

I do though still feel somewhat of a hypocrite for not giving away eating all animal life. Probably a big hypocrite really.

lol it wont last

it takes a special kind of nutter to become a vegan

just cut out processed foods as much as possible and cut down on sugar

vegans are just annoying

Yeah well that's just a real ignorant argument, if you can even call it an argument.

Had have you not been brought up with a chicken leg in hand would you think it a good idea to take life, cook it and then digest it? Probably not.

We're just a product of our surrounds so don't think yourself to high and mighty for not being capable of making a moral decision.

I've changed my diet completely over the past few months. I used to eat vegetarian. Lots of veggies and rice. Recently I've given up sugar and am eating more meat. I buy grass fed organic meat for ethical and health reasons (it's a different product to grain/hormone fed meat). Anyway, this is a completely different way for me to eat but am loving it. I feel more satisfied and my blood sugar levels don't spike like they used. I never feel hungry between meals.

Paleo is definitely the best diet for me.

Yeah well that's just a real ignorant argument, if you can even call it an argument.

Had have you not been brought up with a chicken leg in hand would you think it a good idea to take life, cook it and then digest it? Probably not.

We're just a product of our surrounds so don't think yourself to high and mighty for not being capable of making a moral decision.

People becoming vegan makes zero difference to the welfare of animals, if they were such moral crusaders then they should get some land and do permaculture and give up on their consumerist lifestyles.

Eating animals is fine, it's good for us and it helps to keep a balanced ecosystem. What isn't right is our current lifestyles which put profit over all else.

Op was a vegan for 7 days hence why he got a troll response.

People becoming vegan makes zero difference to the welfare of animals, if they were such moral crusaders then they should get some land and do permaculture and give up on their consumerist lifestyles.

Eating animals is fine, it's good for us and it helps to keep a balanced ecosystem. What isn't right is our current lifestyles which put profit over all else.

Op was a vegan for 7 days hence why he got a troll response.

I used to think that too, but I was wrong.

Who knows, I may even go back to ripping flesh off the bone and gorging on it but I can't get away from the fact that's it just downright wrong.

Would love to know what we'll think about our current practices in 500 years time. The 21st century barbarian man? :) (almost a song in there)

Eating meat isn't wrong at all.

People like you are deluded if you think that cows are grazing grass until big bad mcdonalds decide to kill them for their burgers. They exist because we farm them for our use.

Fair enough that animal welfare is important to you, it's important to me too, hence why i only buy ethically produced me.

Eating meat isn't wrong at all.

People like you are deluded if you think that cows are grazing grass until big bad mcdonalds decide to kill them for their burgers. They exist because we farm them for our use.

Fair enough that animal welfare is important to you, it's important to me too, hence why i only buy ethically produced me.

Delusion? Yeah that's a speciality of mine.

Delusion is blanketing yourself from the truth just to suit your own end use.

Do you know that animals can actually think and have feelings just like you and me?

That's not important though as meat tastes good and we're much more important than those stupid animals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time you offered a cow your seat on the bus?

Cows can't catch buses but if they could and one needed a seat I'd duly offer. What would you do? Pull the superiority card.
Would that same card apply to a black person or maybe someone of a religion you didn't subscribe to?

You're not understanding the concept but just to make it easier for you:
What if a we got visited by a vastly superior race that didn't see us as anything more than pollutants on this earth but we tasted good.
Would it be O.K. to farm us for food? But we can walk, communicate, procreate, take care of and love our young and we're even self aware............well, so can animals.

Funny thing is that people watch a commercial of pigs flying around and choose to convert to consuming "humanely slaughtered" animals.
Do we honestly believe our own s**t?

I would absolutely eat black people and religious people

Ask a Jew what they think about your love for pork.
Ask some Hindus about what they think about your love for steak.
What about a dog? Have Vietnamese friends that have no qualms about eating a dog. Would you?

But humans are humans right? :) To other humans maybe but what if some didn't quite see us that way. Would we be O.K. to eat?

I don't need to because I already know what their beliefs tell them about pork and beef. What's your point?

Maybe if we melded all our beliefs and ideals we'd come to the most natural and honest conclusion: We shouldn't be eating our fellow earthly inhabitants.

Actually no, you'd end up with a stalemate.

What you mean is "if we combined all the different beliefs that involve not approving eating certain animals, then we would not be able to eat any animals". thank you for that insightful proclamation

Actually no, you'd end up with a stalemate.

What you mean is "if we combined all the different beliefs that involve not approving eating certain animals, then we would not be able to eat any animals". thank you for that insightful proclamation

Should have looked at your user name and knew what I was dealing with. :)

The fact that you happily eat fish makes you even more full of s**t.

I said I was a hypocrite but I didn't say I was stupid. Which are you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back