Opinion Going the tank

Remove this Banner Ad

Only other tank thread on our board within the last ten years and 1 month.

And 3 years after that.....

Only other tank thread on our board within the last ten years and 1 month.

It's official you have more time than me!

Dear Mods/OP,

I have for years now, maybe even decades, held it over my many many Carlton supporting acquaintances that not only would The Bloods never tank, it wouldn't even be a discussion point.

I am sure I'm not the only one to have levelled such a boast.

To save us, please, please rename this thread.

I beg you.

Kind regards

Bruce
Balnarring
I agree with your sentiment (I hate tanking talk)... however it's completely up to WillHayward to post their opinion and if they are howled down by the majority of the board then so be it.

Likewise, there could be some interesting and well laid out discussion regarding a way forward for the rest of the season as a result of this thread which I'd be keen to read.

Despite what some may believe, we (mods) aren't in the habit of manipulating or restricting the discussion on here. Even if I completely disagree with the premise and feel slightly insulted by the notion there are supporters wanting us to lose, that doesn't mean this thread doesn't have validity as a talking point.

Everyone supports in their own way. Noone is "wrong" or "right" in their opinion. You simply agree or disagree.

Carry on.

It’s funny the idea we might pick the side to lose would create the wrong culture for players (who wouldn’t actually know)

But going out there dishing up crap not on purpose has been character building

I agree with your sentiment (I hate tanking talk)... however it's completely up to WillHayward to post their opinion and if they are howled down by the majority of the board then so be it.

Likewise, there could be some interesting and well laid out discussion regarding a way forward for the rest of the season as a result of this thread which I'd be keen to read.

Despite what some may believe, we (mods) aren't in the habit of manipulating or restricting the discussion on here. Even if I completely disagree with the premise and feel slightly insulted by the notion there are supporters wanting us to lose, that doesn't mean this thread doesn't have validity as a talking point.

Everyone supports in their own way. Noone is "wrong" or "right" in their opinion. You simply agree or disagree.

Carry on.

I’m always right mate

Carry on.

Definitely a better name for the thread!

It’s funny the idea we might pick the side to lose would create the wrong culture for players (who wouldn’t actually know)

But going out there dishing up crap not on purpose has been character building

You may not like them, no one does, but they are character building. Going down fighting is the only way a young team is going to take anything positive away from a loss. Carlton’s players take away humiliation quite a lot, would you rather that?

Thomas-the-Tank-Engine-768x408.jpg

You may not like them, no one does, but they are character building. Going down fighting is the only way a young team is going to take anything positive away from a loss. Carlton’s players take away humiliation quite a lot, would you rather that?

Carlton humilated us the other day

Carlton humilated us the other day

You think so? I don’t. They scraped over the line against a more inexperienced team who shot themselves in the foot with their lack of composure and who threw in the towel with finals an impossibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think so? I don’t. They scraped over the line against a more inexperienced team who shot themselves in the foot with their lack of composure and who threw in the towel with finals an impossibility.

they were 4.10 underdogs going into the game

they were 4.10 underdogs going into the game

Well there’s your first mistake, listening to anything in the press. They still treat any victory over us as a massive upset.

When you’re basically the youngest or second-youngest team in the comp each round, there is no such thing as an upset. Unless it’s us doing the winning.

Well there’s your first mistake, listening to anything in the press. They still treat any victory over us as a massive upset.

When you’re basically the youngest or second-youngest team in the comp each round, there is no such thing as an upset. Unless it’s us doing the winning.

This minute fraction of difference in age is a massive cop out

On one hand you point our carlton are a humiliated club with poor culture, on the other hand they should be beating us?

which is it?

That point aside if the tanking is just selection and positional manipulation by a match committee, hows that different to losing anyway like we are now, the players just do their best either way and probably lose either way

The way we play I am sure we will not need to actively tank

Obviously you would prefer pick 3 over pick 6 as that can be the difference between getting Dustin Martin instead of Rohan, but personally I think tanking is seriously overrated.

The best thing for the medium to long term would be this group of young players playing in as many wins as possible, even at the expense of a few draft positions.

I wouldnt be getting overexcited about the top end of the draft. It seems that nearly every year we hear how the top couple of selections will all be champions and then it is really even. Most of this hype comes from journalists who watch 10 mins of TAC Cup on youtube and decide they are experts.

I do agree though that Buddy probably shouldnt play again this year. It seems like the perfect opportunity to get him a great preseason and then for the AFL to schedule his 300th in round 1 against the Hawks next year.

Stay away from pick 2 then or end up with Trengrove

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not particularly bothered if we don't win another game for the year but the best thing for the club to is start planning on how to best attack season 2020 but by all means don't go into games hoping to lose. A couple of spots either way in the draft is completely overrated in terms of incentive to not win.
Keep Jack in the ressies - it would really be more like tanking to play him in the ones. Don't rush Bud back from injury if he's not right but he we're paying him enough that if he's ok he should get out there and we can work on forming a functional forward line with him, Blakey and whoever else will be part of it next year. Find out if some these younger guys can show something at this level or in a new role that role change is part of their future plans

This minute fraction of difference in age is a massive cop out

On one hand you point our carlton are a humiliated club with poor culture, on the other hand they should be beating us?

which is it?

That point aside if the tanking is just selection and positional manipulation by a match committee, hows that different to losing anyway like we are now, the players just do their best either way and probably lose either way

The way we play I am sure we will not need to actively tank

I was referring to Carlton’s history as a humiliated club that was routinely belted off the park because they were barely trying. At the minute they’re a good young competitive team, and they just got over the line against us despite having better experienced players and a ruck who had a clear advantage over us.

And there’s no cop out. It’s a fact. We are regularly among the youngest few sides every single round. I know you don’t like Horse, and you think our game plan is average, and our youngsters are over-rated, but with this team’s profile it was always going to be a very difficult season. We’ve netted six wins. When GWS first started with a similar demographic to our team, they were having one, two, three-win seasons. My point is that in the context of this season we’ve had a poor year, but looking at the bigger picture we’ve done okay.

I was referring to Carlton’s history as a humiliated club that was routinely belted off the park because they were barely trying. At the minute they’re a good young competitive team, and they just got over the line against us despite having better experienced players and a ruck who had a clear advantage over us.

And there’s no cop out. It’s a fact. We are regularly among the youngest few sides every single round. I know you don’t like Horse, and you think our game plan is average, and our youngsters are over-rated, but with this team’s profile it was always going to be a very difficult season. We’ve netted six wins. When GWS first started with a similar demographic to our team, they were having one, two, three-win seasons. My point is that in the context of this season we’ve had a poor year, but looking at the bigger picture we’ve done okay.

This thread is about tanking

Heres a to do list for Horse to get us to tank and avoid winning

1- keep doing what you are doing

I’m not a massive Horse fan

But I also think you could put Leigh Matthews circa 2001 at the helm of this team and he’d net only marginally better results.

I wouldn’t call 16 Premierships a humiliating history!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back