Opinion Going the tank

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Well it is that time of year. Finals are officially out of reach.

Time to bring out the perennial discussion....

I'm not saying deliberately lose.

But do we really need to bring Buddy back if he is semi injured? Why not give his body a rest?

Would you rather sneak another 2 wins and finish 5th bottom or sneak 1 more win and finish 3rd bottom?

Personally I think we might as well finish 3rd bottom and get pick 3 in the draft and give the Bud a chance to recuperate.

2019 finals are out of the equation. Our priority is now 2020 finals. Pre-season starts this weekend against Geelong. We already have a leg-up for next year on this year's finalists, let's use it to our advantage.

Give Buddy a well-earned rest, an extra month off so that he is not only on a level playing field with the rest of the playing group come November/December, but with a bit of luck could actually be ahead of them.

Play our best every week, go full throttle at the opponent. When we're at our best, we can play good footy and beat good teams. Worst that can happen if we give our all? We suffer more honourable losses and still manage a top draft pick out of it. Best that can happen? We actually pull off some wins, and this young playing group takes enormous confidence that we're actually going in a positive direction.

Jun 29, 2010
Bombay
AFL Club
Sydney

But do we really need to bring Buddy back if he is semi injured? Why not give his body a rest?

Would you rather sneak another 2 wins and finish 5th bottom or sneak 1 more win and finish 3rd bottom?

Personally I think we might as well finish 3rd bottom and get pick 3 in the draft and give the Bud a chance to recuperate.
You’re assuming Jorse was trying to beat Freo?

And furthermore, pick #2 is absolutely on the table for us:

B8447047-48B7-4144-AFD5-50159B410252.jpeg

Last edited:

2019 finals are out of the equation. Our priority is now 2020 finals. Pre-season starts this weekend against Geelong. We already have a leg-up for next year on this year's finalists, let's use it to our advantage.

Give Buddy a well-earned rest, an extra month off so that he is not only on a level playing field with the rest of the playing group come November/December, but with a bit of luck could actually be ahead of them.

Play our best every week, go full throttle at the opponent. When we're at our best, we can play good footy and beat good teams. Worst that can happen if we give our all? We suffer more honourable losses and still manage a top draft pick out of it. Best that can happen? We actually pull off some wins, and this young playing group takes enormous confidence that we're actually going in a positive direction.
^^^^^THIS ^^^^^
I don't like tanking, don't believe it has ever worked and it sends the wrong message to the fans and members. I would also assume it creates a bad mindset for the younger players at the club that it's okay to lose. Personally I want to see the boys go their hardest for the next five weeks, create some havoc amongst the top 8 teams we have yet to play.
Having said that I agree that Bud should have the rest of the year off and we are able then to have a huge celebration for his 300th first game back at the SCG in 2020 - hopefully against Hawthorn because that would be karma!

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies

Absolutely this. The positive atmosphere around the club during our 7-8 week run of good form in the middle of the year can be recaptured and it's way too important to foster that kind of spirit for the sake of rising a few places in a draft which, in this sport, can never be a guaranteed way to improve your lot.

I think being extra cautious is a good idea with Bud - although given the kind of guy he is, I doubt he'll be having any of that. Allowing him to have a proper and full pre-season would be excellent. Has he ever completed one in his time with us? I can't think of a time, tbh.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Oh great.
We have a minority group of supporters that are actually cheering us to lose.

May I suggest that these memberships may be better suited for you than a Swans one going forward.

OR

I have it on good authority that in Season 2020, both these clubs are introducing a one game cash out membership, where you can cash out if things haven't worked out for the club after 4 rounds.
Look out for it. It's called the Small Ticker Tanker Membership Package.

Jun 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
You can gatekeep all you want how to be a member. End of the day, i'm happy for the players to try their hardest learning on the fly and the coaches to hold back underdone players and reward form of youth. Let the chips fall where they may. Pick 2 or 3 will be icing on an other wise terrible year that blood some more kids. I feel like i want to slash my wrists reading the autopsy threads, people lamenting that after a season or 2 in the system they aren't seeing the likely hood of more Kennedy's, buddys or goodes in this crop. Yes, those hall of famers just grow on trees (1 of which was traded as he hadn't fully come on due to opportunity, another struggled in early years). Spoiled!

I personally believe we should place some players in cotton wool for the rest of the year (Buddy especially) or anyone that is showing the remotest sign of injury.

But that doesn't mean that we don't go out on the day trying to win. If our youngsters can get the team over the line on a few occasions it will be extremely beneficial to their development.

I say we use this opportunity to look at some players from the reserves (Give Stoddard an extended look in the side, give Wicks a debut), try some players in different positions (Mills to the GODDAM midfield).

^^^^^THIS ^^^^^
I don't like tanking, don't believe it has ever worked and it sends the wrong message to the fans and members. I would also assume it creates a bad mindset for the younger players at the club that it's okay to lose. Personally I want to see the boys go their hardest for the next five weeks, create some havoc amongst the top 8 teams we have yet to play.
Having said that I agree that Bud should have the rest of the year off and we are able then to have a huge celebration for his 300th first game back at the SCG in 2020 - hopefully against Hawthorn because that would be karma!

Detest the notion of tanking and do not believe our mob would consider it for a moment. That said I do not want Buddy or anybody else who may need surgery playing aided by jabs.FFS bring the surgery forward.

JPK recently copped a posterior ligament injury. He is playing crocked. I hope he plays at least another two seasons. If he needs surgery, let's do it now so he has the chance of a good pre season.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Oh great.

May I suggest that these memberships may be better suited for you than a Swans one going forward.

OR

I have it on good authority that in Season 2020, both these clubs are introducing a one game cash out membership, where you can cash out if things haven't worked out for the club after 4 rounds.
It serves no purpose in winning a game from here on out. Im not saying go out and tell players lose but play a team consisting entirely of youth and give the older guys an extra month break. Refresh and reset for a crack at finals next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
place some players in cotton wool for the rest of the year (Buddy especially)

I agree with this & further still, for the remaining 3 years of his contract.
He has no more than 10 good games left in him but unfortunately our whole game plan going forward will get harmed with players needing to step aside in order for him to play his more dominant role. .
Clarko recognised this in 2013.

It will be unlikely that he'll play beyond 2020 in my opinion.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Obviously you would prefer pick 3 over pick 6 as that can be the difference between getting Dustin Martin instead of Rohan, but personally I think tanking is seriously overrated.

The best thing for the medium to long term would be this group of young players playing in as many wins as possible, even at the expense of a few draft positions.

I wouldnt be getting overexcited about the top end of the draft. It seems that nearly every year we hear how the top couple of selections will all be champions and then it is really even. Most of this hype comes from journalists who watch 10 mins of TAC Cup on youtube and decide they are experts.

I do agree though that Buddy probably shouldnt play again this year. It seems like the perfect opportunity to get him a great preseason and then for the AFL to schedule his 300th in round 1 against the Hawks next year.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Such little faith. I think he has had an unlucky trot but it's no coincidence we went on a good run when he was back in. Amazing player and I think he will win another Coleman.
He has no more than 10 good games left in him but unfortunately our whole game plan going forward will get harmed with players needing to step aside in order for him to play his more dominant role. .

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
It serves no purpose in winning a game from here on out.

That is just wrong on many levels.

That mindset is wrong on many levels.

Have no issue resting players who are carrying injuries or are coming back from injuries but to say that winning serves no purpose is just wrong and will set this club back further than getting the "wrong" number draft pick. Such short term thinking

Jun 29, 2010
Bombay
AFL Club
Sydney
Oh great.

bonz said:
place some players in cotton wool for the rest of the year (Buddy especially)

Tedeski you can't rip on a suggestion to write 2019 off, then agree with a suggestion to tank at the selection committee.

Putting Bud in cotton wool is absolutely tanking, and I heavily encourage cotton-wooling others, as they've already done to Sinkers. I guarantee you on match days, all those macbook dashboards have some panels for KPIs and others tracking flight cost to Bali in September.

"Jesus take the wheel"

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
100% effort every game. But that doesn’t mean playing Buddy when he can’t train. I’d be happy if he goes in for any surgeries he might need tomorrow. Get him ready for next year.

Additionally, keep Jack in the NEAFL. He’ll get more opportunities to use his leadership amongst the kids there anyway, and it will set him up better for future coaching roles.

I want our players out there playing every game to win it, but that doesn’t mean playing players without the long-term in mind.

Putting Bud in cotton wool is absolutely tanking, and I heavily encourage cotton-wooling others, as they've already done to Sinkers. I guarantee you on match days, all those macbook dashboards have some panels for KPIs and others tracking flight cost to Bali in September.

"Jesus take the wheel"

I would just rather focus on next year and have some players have a full pre-season. I still believe we should be going for the win on any match day.

We can also use this time to experiment with players in different positions, not for tanking purposes but to see if they have what it takes (Dawson and Mills to the midfield for example).

I'd much rather go for that pick 2 selection, Noah Anderson looks very enticing.

However we don't need to tank to lose, we will do that anyway as we are so young and we are developing. A bottom 4 finish is not the end of the world. We better not trade that pick away though.

"Perennial discussion"??

Really??

As a board we often talk about "going the tank" do we??

Show me one "Going the tank" thread from the past 10 years on the Swans BF board. I'll wait.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Dear Mods/OP,

I have for years now, maybe even decades, held it over my many many Carlton supporting acquaintances that not only would The Bloods never tank, it wouldn't even be a discussion point.

I am sure I'm not the only one to have levelled such a boast.

To save us, please, please rename this thread.

I beg you.

Kind regards

Bruce
Balnarring

"Perennial discussion"??

Really??

As a board we often talk about "going the tank" do we??

Show me one "Going the tank" thread from the past 10 years on the Swans BF board. I'll wait.

Only other tank thread on our board within the last ten years and 1 month.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back