Opinion Going the tank

I’m not a massive Horse fan

But I also think you could put Leigh Matthews circa 2001 at the helm of this team and he’d net only marginally better results.

yep may well be the case, which means we will lose anyway so no need to "tank" as it were

Well it is that time of year. Finals are officially out of reach.

Time to bring out the perennial discussion....

I'm not saying deliberately lose.
Well then by definition that's not tanking.

What you're referring to is not taking stupid risks that could compromise players' fitness next season. Which is very different to tanking which is deliberately trying to finish as low on the ladder as possible. The former is sensible, the latter is disgraceful. We can put the likes of Franklin on cotton wool and send Sinclair in for surgery, but the 22 that takes the field should always be expected to be doing their utmost to win the game.

Dear Mods/OP,

I have for years now, maybe even decades, held it over my many many Carlton supporting acquaintances that not only would The Bloods never tank, it wouldn't even be a discussion point.

I am sure I'm not the only one to have levelled such a boast.

To save us, please, please rename this thread.

I beg you.

Kind regards

Bruce
Balnarring

Well there is a shock. BfB and I in furious agreement.. Hard looks in the mirror all round.

The content of the OP does not gell with the stark thread title. Hopefully he opt to rename it. Something like m
"Managing the Final Rounds."

Jeffers

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal/Penrith/LA Lakers
The Swans to go the Elegant Tank? Dominate for 3 and a bit quarters then gracefully give up the lead at the end.

(and hell no i am not for tanking, but looking at our draw i think a top 3 pick will happen naturally)

Jun 29, 2010
Bombay
AFL Club
Sydney
Why can’t you blokes embrace the opportunity to reach out and grab pick #2? It’s jot every year we get the chance to sit up the pointy end on draft night.

The following comment intended to be read whilst listening to this audio clip:

We don’t need to call it “tanking”, but go ahead and play all the youf.

Even give Kizza a couple more glory laps before he goes out to pasture. Even sit McVeigh in a fwd pocket because leadership. Wouldn’t you love to see them chaired off?

You’re welcome Kiz & Jazza.

Send Bud and JPK to the surgeon, send Naismith to Bali, even chuck Allir on some luxury vacation.

But get all the kids on the field so they “get games into em” and, by consequence, we improve our chance of pick 2.

Rowbottom and Dawson out of the guts for the rest of the year please.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Carlton beat the Crows - not out of the question
Melbourne beat Saints - not out of the question
Swans stay within a kick of the Cats for 3/4's.. hit the front with 3 mins to go.. only to loose by a point because of an obvious umpiring mistake.
Swans loose 102 - 101
very close to pick two!

Who needs to tank

Jeffers

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal/Penrith/LA Lakers
Carlton beat the Crows - not out of the question
Melbourne beat Saints - not out of the question
Swans stay within a kick of the Cats for 3/4's.. hit the front with 3 mins to go.. only to loose by a point because of an obvious umpiring mistake.
Swans loose 102 - 101
very close to pick two!

Who needs to tank

Only thing loose is your spelling of Lose.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
They're a criminal enterprise and it sickens me to see so many so easily succumb to that lure of low hanging fruit despite the fact that high draft picks almost never lead to premierships.
2001 - p1 - Hodge
2004 - p2 - Roughead
- p5 - Franklin
- p7 - Jordan Lewis
2005 - p14 - Birchall
2007 - p12 - Rioli

How many premerships did the Hawks win with theses guys?

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
^^^^^THIS ^^^^^
I don't like tanking, don't believe it has ever worked and it sends the wrong message to the fans and members. I would also assume it creates a bad mindset for the younger players at the club that it's okay to lose. Personally I want to see the boys go their hardest for the next five weeks, create some havoc amongst the top 8 teams we have yet to play.
Having said that I agree that Bud should have the rest of the year off and we are able then to have a huge celebration for his 300th first game back at the SCG in 2020 - hopefully against Hawthorn because that would be karma!
Look what happened to the last teams to tank. Carlton and Melbourne. They have been in the doldrums for years. You are right it creates the wrong atmosphere at a club

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
2001 - p1 - Hodge
2004 - p2 - Roughead
- p5 - Franklin
- p7 - Jordan Lewis
2005 - p14 - Birchall
2007 - p12 - Rioli

So Hawthorn won a couple of flags with Hodge Roughead and Franklin.

That makes all of the priority draft picks over the last couple of decades worth it.

I said "almost never". Your exception merely demonstrates the rule.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
2001 - p1 - Hodge
2004 - p2 - Roughead
- p5 - Franklin
- p7 - Jordan Lewis
2005 - p14 - Birchall
2007 - p12 - Rioli

The Hawks traded for 3 of those picks (Hodge, Lewis and Birchall), 1 was a priority pick (Roughhead) and the remaining two were their selections for where they finished that year (Franklin and Rioli). Its one thing to tank and keep getting high draft picks year after year as Carlton have, its another to have a bad year and be rewarded for it further and then trade in pick for your own players with a clear plan for the future.

Doing a Hawthorn isn't as possible as it once was (ask St Kilda) and forgets how many high picks they actually got wrong (Luke Brennon, Beau Dowler, Beau Muston, Mitch Thorp and Brent Renouf) as well in the process.

Back