Opinion Going the tank

Remove this Banner Ad

Dees are not dumb

They know exactly what they are doing

They won’t beat us or north

melbourne sydney might be a defensive festival

0-0

Who might be the Top 3 draft picks? (apologies, I have no idea how the draft system works)

Who might be the Top 3 draft picks? (apologies, I have no idea how the draft system works)

Rowell and Anderson will be 1&2

Green probably 3 (GWS academy)

Serong the next best mid, Kemp the wildcard.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they get one, question is where

They probably will get one I’m not going to agree though- not sure another kid is what they need. They badly need a Hodge type of player like Brisbane did more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They probably will get one I’m not going to agree though- not sure another kid is what they need. They badly need a Hodge type of player like Brisbane did more.
if they deserve a priority pick ( ill leave that for others to decide) .. an end of first round pick makes sense. A good pick that can traded or taken to the draft and doesn't disadvantage the rest of the comp. If thats not enough, then another end of first round in 2020.
A club won't be saved with one pick 1!

I always thought McVeigh would have been a wonderful get for GC in the same way Hodge has been for Brisbane - a calm experienced head on field, hard worker and leader on the training track.
Of course in hindsight his body has shown he wasn't up to it, but I still feel his presence would have helped them enormously.

I am still appalled this thread has not been consigned to a mod bin.

PLEASE MAKE IT SO.
No. (You need to bribe harder... I accept cash, money transfer, chocolate, beer...)

Instead... how about you give some sound logical reasoning and debate (i.e. your opinion) as to why you believe the premise of this thread is ridiculous/crap?

It's irrational for the Swans to be aiming to win games at this point.

I'd argue none of the teams in the bottom 5 aren't aiming to win games at the moment, as poor performance is actually rewarded in the current AFL boom/bust lifecycle.

The absolute best outcome is as follows:

- Pick a team on Thursday to be non-competitive. Play the kids, play guns out of position, give the veterans some send-off games.
- Have a brave, competitive loss to give the fans hope next season.
- Get a massively improved draft position
-
-
-
- Profit

No. (You need to bribe harder... I accept cash, money transfer, chocolate, beer...)

Instead... how about you give some sound logical reasoning and debate (i.e. your opinion) as to why you believe the premise of this thread is ridiculous/crap?

I think it's more the title of the thread rather than it's contents that I find offensive.

Nothing wrong with discussing the silver lining of a down season.

And I guess, although I personally find it distasteful, it's possibly legitimate to even hope for further losses if the benefits of that silver lining outweigh the shorter term disappointment.

But the suggestion that our club deliberately set out to lose games in order to gain draft picks which is illegal, immoral, unsportsmanlike and against everything our proud club stands for simply fills many of us with disgust.

So, given that the thread title amounts to "Incitement to Engage in Match Fixing" which is a crime, it would be wise for Mods to change the title and perhaps to watch carefully the comments that are made in this thread.

I think it's more the title of the thread rather than it's contents that I find offensive.

Nothing wrong with discussing the silver lining of a down season.

And I guess, although I personally find it distasteful, it's possibly legitimate to even hope for further losses if the benefits of that silver lining outweigh the shorter term disappointment.

But the suggestion that our club deliberately set out to lose games in order to gain draft picks which is illegal, immoral, unsportsmanlike and against everything our proud club stands for simply fills many of us with disgust.

So, given that the thread title amounts to "Incitement to Engage in Match Fixing" which is a crime, it would be wise for Mods to change the title and perhaps to watch carefully the comments that are made in this thread.
I can most certainly see where the terminology rubs some the wrong way (me included)... The idea we would support not trying to win and deliberately "match fix" is disgusting to me. It is one of the most insulting premises I think I've read on here for a while... And I've read some pretty pathetic stuff.

"Going the tank" sounds dirty. It sounds sinister. It sounds nothing like the values our club has found success with... However... it is (unfortunately) a term which encompasses an obviously often-used strategy within the competition which doesn't seem to break any rules. Things such as clubs "experimenting" with positions, structures, line-ups (with a true view that the "Win" isn't important) has been happening for as long as the draft system has been in place... And "tanking" is the common term utilised in describing such strategies (even when it is within the rules).

So, while I (like you) despise the idea we aren't giving 100% &/or supporting a loser mentality... I also can see how "going the tank" is the common catch-cry of those clubs trying to plan ahead and try things they otherwise wouldn't had finals been in the frame... And how that strategy doesn't seem to be against the current AFL rules at all (given how common a strategy it has become).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back